Archetype and power set Recommendation?

lokiie1984

I'm not new to the game by any means but i've been having trouble finding a archetype that i really enjoy. With so many choices it's just been impossible.

I've been playing a Huntsman build Soldier and its fun, i really like the aoe but i feel like all i do is click the same four buttons over and over. I also really enjoy the defense. Being able to solo full groups is always fun. So i'd really prefer to find something that can be defensive like the soldier (even if it's not as high of a defense) but have more to do then just four buttons on repeat. I also would prefer to stick to ranged damage or a combo of both ranged and melee.

Would a WS or PB be something like that? I have one of each in early 20s but never did much with em. The whole form shifting has always kept me away. Another thought I've had is a Sentinel but i fear their lack of damage at higher levels might turn me off. I had one to 45 with no IOs so I'm no expert but it just seemed after 40 their damage didn't scale right. I went from doing fine at medium difficulty to takes forever to kill even con minions. But that was back when Homecoming first started so i have no idea if the archetype has had any improvements since then.

Any thoughts on what other archetypes and power sets would be comparable to Huntsman for damage and defense? (For reference, i use Redlynns Bane Spider Huntsman leveling build.) 

Thanks

PB/WS were made before Spiders. It was their first attempt at an Epic Archtype...it's not the greatest. In all reality, you'll be clicking same 4 powers if your trying be optimal(Squid/Lobster form)

You want Defense & multi purpose powers, I suggest this: Corruptor - Fire Blast - Force Field.mxd

It's going be damage, it takes advantage of Corruptors scourge. Your going have soft capped+ Defense. You can be solo & group helpful. You'll be clicking more then 4 things.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:36 AM, lokiie1984 said:

I'm not new to the game by any means but i've been having trouble finding a archetype that i really enjoy. With so many choices it's just been impossible.

I've been playing a Huntsman build Soldier and its fun, i really like the aoe but i feel like all i do is click the same four buttons over and over. I also really enjoy the defense. Being able to solo full groups is always fun. So i'd really prefer to find something that can be defensive like the soldier (even if it's not as high of a defense) but have more to do then just four buttons on repeat. I also would prefer to stick to ranged damage or a combo of both ranged and melee.

Would a WS or PB be something like that? I have one of each in early 20s but never did much with em. The whole form shifting has always kept me away. Another thought I've had is a Sentinel but i fear their lack of damage at higher levels might turn me off. I had one to 45 with no IOs so I'm no expert but it just seemed after 40 their damage didn't scale right. I went from doing fine at medium difficulty to takes forever to kill even con minions. But that was back when Homecoming first started so i have no idea if the archetype has had any improvements since then.

Any thoughts on what other archetypes and power sets would be comparable to Huntsman for damage and defense? (For reference, i use Redlynns Bane Spider Huntsman leveling build.) 

Thanks

As I said, you may like one I posted above.

You may also like this option: Controller - Earth Control - Force Field.mxd

What about one of the more durable Corruptor or Defender set ups?  

Sets like Dark Miasma and Storm Summoning can still be pretty defensive (however, you might want to build in some mez protection by grabbing Rune of Protection in Sorcery), they give you a swiss army knife of utility powers and the blast sets give you solid AoE damage, especially with good proc usage.  

Regarding Kheldians...I wouldn't.  My feelings on them is "you put in 150% of the effort for 90% of the effectiveness" of other ATs.  You can have 85% resistances to all but psi but unless you stay in Nova form for the rest of your time, your damage in the other two forms is pretty anemic and you'll have pretty much no defense to back up that resistance because your toggles all turn off when you shape shift.  And you have to pop back to human form to refresh Lightform or Eclipse and to use Mire etc.  It's way too busy and in the end, you're no more effective than a lot of other sets.  

• Like 1

If you like and enjoy spiders, why not try a crab build. crabs can go almost 50/50 melee-range with some pets to sweeten the deal. 

Other ATs that let you switch from range to melee to "keep things interesting" are Blasters, Dominators, and Widows (Blood Widow-Fort hybrid). I too prefer mixing things in the attack department. So far, my crab and a few blasters (not every power set lends itself well to melee) have proven quite enjoyable and stronk. I tried it on one Dom, but couldn't get him to the same caliber as the blaster (I'll probably have to work on his build some more). I just respec-ed my widow to the hybrid I mentioned, and am currently testing her out.

4 hours ago, Six Six said:

If you like and enjoy spiders, why not try a crab build. crabs can go almost 50/50 melee-range with some pets to sweeten the deal. 

Other ATs that let you switch from range to melee to "keep things interesting" are Blasters, Dominators, and Widows (Blood Widow-Fort hybrid). I too prefer mixing things in the attack department. So far, my crab and a few blasters (not every power set lends itself well to melee) have proven quite enjoyable and stronk. I tried it on one Dom, but couldn't get him to the same caliber as the blaster (I'll probably have to work on his build some more). I just respec-ed my widow to the hybrid I mentioned, and am currently testing her out.

I might have to try out the crab more. I've done huntsmen for a super long time. I'd probably roll a new character. From what i recall even if i use a second build it forces the backpack on the first build. (My huntsman uses a neat cape that i wouldn't want to replace. But leveling a new one would be fun anyway) I did read about a kind of stalker sentinel cross that would be neat but it'd only work at 50 and i exemp a lot so that'd be out.

I've tried defenders and corruptors but as of yet i haven't been able to get into em. Not sure why though. I even have a 40+ storm/something defender and i enjoy storm but when i try to remember playing the character i just draw a blank lol.

Edited by lokiie1984

12 hours ago, lokiie1984 said:

I did read about a kind of stalker sentinel cross that would be neat but it'd only work at 50 and i exemp a lot so that'd be out.

Don't write off the Stalk-tinel.  Mine exemps fine, it just plays like a standard Stalker at lower levels.  You just need to have 2 versions of your standard attack chain power bar, one for exemping and one for 50 play.  If you're looking for engaging, effective and badass, Stalk-tinel would be a good call.  You're constantly in and out of melee, swapping between AoE damage chains, melee single target chains and ranged chains, hopping around the battle field, locking down bosses and melting them.  Mine uses "janky combat teleport" (sorcery's translocation set up with mouse button binds) to instantly port around the battle field, at least until real combat teleport is available.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Omega-202 said:

Don't write off the Stalk-tinel.  Mine exemps fine, it just plays like a standard Stalker at lower levels.  You just need to have 2 versions of your standard attack chain power bar, one for exemping and one for 50 play.  If you're looking for engaging, effective and badass, Stalk-tinel would be a good call.  You're constantly in and out of melee, swapping between AoE damage chains, melee single target chains and ranged chains, hopping around the battle field, locking down bosses and melting them.  Mine uses "janky combat teleport" (sorcery's translocation set up with mouse button binds) to instantly port around the battle field, at least until real combat teleport is available.  

That sounds nuts. Out of curiosity, what power sets did you go with? I might have read a post from you about the build before but not sure as i cant find it now.

Also do you have any videos of the play style? This is one where i think i would need to see how it plays, all the porting around sounds crazy lol.

5 hours ago, lokiie1984 said:

That sounds nuts. Out of curiosity, what power sets did you go with? I might have read a post from you about the build before but not sure as i cant find it now.

Also do you have any videos of the play style? This is one where i think i would need to see how it plays, all the porting around sounds crazy lol.

Below is my current set up.  This character started as a concept test and became my favorite level 50 mess around character.  When I think of "superhero", he fits the classic mold of the super tough, fly around and punch people, but also zap them from range, like an electric Superman.  

I don't have recording capabilities on my new desktop and also don't want to violate the HC rules against videos, so I don't think I'll post anything, but I'd encourage you to give it a run on the test server.  

For the "janky combat teleport", see the copied text below from a post of mine:

In case anybody is interested, I discovered an interesting quirk with a relatively simple bind I was playing with:

/bind button4 "powexec_location target Translocation$$powexec_toggleon Mystic Flight"

Now, I know what you're saying.  "So what?  You turn on Mystic Flight with one press and then TP to target with a second press and have Mystic Flight on."  Yes, if you press the button twice slowly.  BUT, if you double tap really quick, you take flight for a split second, teleport to the target and for some reason, the flight turns back off, and a lot of the time the Translocation animation "skips" and doesn't root you.  I have no idea why it works, but I do know that I'll never walk to an enemy again.  

Essentially, the bind turns Mystic Flight into full combat teleportation, on the ground or in the air, without normal TP's slow hover period or Jaunt's limited uses.  

Really useful for any melee character than wants to be Nightcrawler, but hates Teleportations annoying hover.  

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Stalk-tinel: Level 50 Science Stalker
Primary Power Set: Electrical Melee
Secondary Power Set: Invulnerability
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Charged Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(3), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(3), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(5), Ksm-ToHit+(7)
Level 2: Resist Physical Damage -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 4: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 6: Assassin's Shock -- SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%(A), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg(13), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 10: Dull Pain -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(17), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(17), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(21)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 14: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23)
Level 16: Unyielding -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Ags-Psi/Status(25), Ags-ResDam(25), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(27), GldArm-3defTpProc(27)
Level 18: Chain Induction -- SprAssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up(A), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg(29), SprAssMar-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprAssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 20: Environmental Resistance -- ResDam-I(A), ResDam-I(46)
Level 22: Tough -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 24: Mystic Flight -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Thunder Strike -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Dmg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), ScrDrv-Dam%(34)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(34)
Level 30: Reinforced -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(36), ShlWal-Def(36), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 32: Lightning Rod -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(37), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(37), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(39)
Level 35: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 38: Mu Bolts -- SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(40), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 41: Zapp -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Rchg(43), Apc-Dam%(43), StnoftheM-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Knock%(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Ann-ResDeb%(45), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Electric Shackles -- GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(A), NrnSht-Dam%(48), UnbCns-Dam%(48), Dvs-Hold%(48), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Assassination 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(7), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(9)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(9), EndMod-I(11)
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Radial Superior Ally 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
------------

This is very fun, and more than 4 buttons. It is mass AOE; In beta land, you just swap hects for rags in eagles claw? Might be geddons, would have to doublecheck. 

SC in, ball lightning, dragons tail, xpunch, finish hard targets with regular melee + zapp. In this case, eagles claw ALSO clears trash, but generally speaking its all dead after the xpunch/ball/charge/tail chain. It is ~1300 damage in 4 seconds (excluding shield charges 1.5 sec opening cast) in an AOE.

Zapp is instacast, so its fun filler all the time anywhere 😄

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Martial Arts
Secondary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Storm Kick -- GldStr-Dam/End/Rech(A)
Level 1: Deflection -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(3), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(3), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(9)
Level 2: Cobra Strike -- SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(43), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 4: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(5), Rct-Def(5), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(7), Rct-ResDam%(7), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(9)
Level 6: True Grit -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(11), UnbGrd-Max HP%(13)
Level 8: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 12: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(15), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(17), GldArm-3defTpProc(17), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(19)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(37)
Level 18: Crippling Axe Kick -- SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(A), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(19), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 20: Phalanx Fighting -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(21), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(21), LucoftheG-Def(25)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(23), Ksm-ToHit+(23), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 24: Cross Punch -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg(25), Obl-Acc/Rchg(31), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-%Dam(33)
Level 26: Dragon's Tail -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(27), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(31)
Level 28: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 30: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(50)
Level 32: Eagles Claw -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(33), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Hct-Acc/Rchg(34)
Level 35: Shield Charge -- ScrDrv-Dam%(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(46), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(46), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(48), Arm-Dam%(50)
Level 38: Zapp -- ExpMarks-Rng/FSnp(A), StnoftheM-Dam%(39), Apc-Dam%(39), GldJvl-Dam%(39)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(A), PstBls-Dam%(42), JvlVll-Dam%(42), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42)
Level 44: Combat Jumping -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(40), Mrc-Rcvry+(40)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(40), PrfShf-End%(43)
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
------------

• 2 weeks later
On 10/30/2020 at 8:17 AM, Omega-202 said:

Below is my current set up.  This character started as a concept test and became my favorite level 50 mess around character.  When I think of "superhero", he fits the classic mold of the super tough, fly around and punch people, but also zap them from range, like an electric Superman.  

I don't have recording capabilities on my new desktop and also don't want to violate the HC rules against videos, so I don't think I'll post anything, but I'd encourage you to give it a run on the test server.  

For the "janky combat teleport", see the copied text below from a post of mine:

In case anybody is interested, I discovered an interesting quirk with a relatively simple bind I was playing with:

/bind button4 "powexec_location target Translocation$$powexec_toggleon Mystic Flight"

Now, I know what you're saying.  "So what?  You turn on Mystic Flight with one press and then TP to target with a second press and have Mystic Flight on."  Yes, if you press the button twice slowly.  BUT, if you double tap really quick, you take flight for a split second, teleport to the target and for some reason, the flight turns back off, and a lot of the time the Translocation animation "skips" and doesn't root you.  I have no idea why it works, but I do know that I'll never walk to an enemy again.  

Essentially, the bind turns Mystic Flight into full combat teleportation, on the ground or in the air, without normal TP's slow hover period or Jaunt's limited uses.  

Really useful for any melee character than wants to be Nightcrawler, but hates Teleportations annoying hover.  

This is a great build. Handles 4x8 Arachnos a lot easier than my Fortunata or Night Widow. Not easy, but easier.

Carnies are a challenge, but Melee Core helps with both Arachnos and Carnies psi and toxic damage.

55 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

This is a great build. Handles 4x8 Arachnos a lot easier than my Fortunata or Night Widow. Not easy, but easier.

Carnies are a challenge, but Melee Core helps with both Arachnos and Carnies psi and toxic damage.

Another option is to make sure you've got a Vanguard Psi Shield in your pocket for Carnie missions.  If I know I'm looking at a solo psi mission, I make sure I have a decent amout of time left on the temp power.  One MSR can give you enough merits for hours of Psi Shield, as long as you remember to hop over to the RWZ and restock it.