Energy Focus stacking

Wavicle

29 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

It would be very nice if reliably after I use Total Focus I have Energy Focus. But in fact if I ALREADY have EF and I use TF, the new TF simply does nothing and EF falls off. Can't we have it overwrite itself?

@Wavicle, other effects, like the Force Feedback +Rech proc, overwrite themselves, so I think that must be a bug.  You should report it with the details of the AT, etc, in case it's only for some of them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jacke said:

@Wavicle, other effects, like the Force Feedback +Rech proc, overwrite themselves, so I think that must be a bug.  You should report it with the details of the AT, etc, in case it's only for some of them.

It's not a bug, it's working as designed. I thought about requesting this same feature to be done (overwrite) and how to do it (Make the activation effect group always revoke 1 Energy Focus, then after a 0.1s delay grant a new Energy Focus, that way if one doesn't exist it works the same but if one did exist it would restart the 15s timer). However, that idea came late enough in the beta process that I didn't want to propose a mechanic change and risk negative repercussions. And it seemed odd to request it given the likelihood of using 2 TFs in a row without using an Energy Focus spender. It would help Scrappers/Stalkers though.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

5 minutes ago, Bopper said:

It's not a bug, it's working as designed. I thought about requesting this same feature to be done (overwrite) and how to do it (Make the activation effect group always revoke 1 Energy Focus, then after a 0.1s delay grant a new Energy Focus, that way if one doesn't exist it works the same but if one did exist it would restart the 15s timer). However, that idea came late enough in the beta process that I didn't want to propose a mechanic change and risk negative repercussions. And it seemed odd to request it given the likelihood of using 2 TFs in a row without using an Energy Focus spender. It would help Scrappers/Stalkers though.

@Bopper, it doesn't make sense for another use of Energy Focus while Focus is present to lose Focus, as @Wavicle is reporting.  It is entirely in line with other effects in the game to have the duration of the resource refreshed.  It may have been late in the beta process and unsuitable to fix the issue then, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed now as soon as is reasonably possible.

3 minutes ago, Jacke said:

@Bopper, it doesn't make sense for another use of Energy Focus while Focus is present to lose Focus, as @Wavicle is reporting.  It is entirely in line with other effects in the game to have the duration of the resource refreshed.  It may have been late in the beta process and unsuitable to fix the issue then, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed now as soon as is reasonably possible.

I don't think that's what Wavicle is reporting. My guess is he simply ran out of time on the 15s duration. So if he waited 12s between TF casts, it would seem like it dropped when it really just didn't refresh then ran out.

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Just now, Bopper said:

I don't think that's what Wavicle is reporting. My guess is he simply ran out of time on the 15s duration. So if he waiting 12s between TF casts, it would seem like it dropped when it really just didn't refresh then ran out.

Back to you, @Wavicle.  Although even in that case, @Bopper, should there still be Focus afterwards due to the second use of TF ?

2 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I don't think that's what Wavicle is reporting. My guess is he simply ran out of time on the 15s duration. So if he waited 12s between TF casts, it would seem like it dropped when it really just didn't refresh then ran out.

That’s exactly it. It feels like I’m being punished for ET and PC both missing.

6 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Back to you, @Wavicle.  Although even in that case, @Bopper, should there still be Focus afterwards due to the second use of TF ?

I think there should. I think it's mechanically possible. If you like, I can message CPH with my idea on how to approach it, or he may have his own. But for now, I think it's working as intended, it's definitely working as designed. But as Wavicle mentioned, you shouldn't be punished for your spenders missing.

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 11:50 PM, Wavicle said:

That’s exactly it. It feels like I’m being punished for ET and PC both missing.

That's kind of supposed to be how it works.  If you whiff, there's going to be a downside on top of the missing damage.  I know we can't control the RNG completely but this sounds like it's working perfectly to me.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

4 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Who says? Why?

Pretty much most games' rules where you can whiff.  Why should a person be rewarded for missing attacks or not penalized for missing attacks? 

Who says you shouldn't?  Why?

30 minutes ago, JayboH said:

Pretty much most games' rules where you can whiff.  Why should a person be rewarded for missing attacks or not penalized for missing attacks? 

Who says you shouldn't?  Why?

If that’s what it is then it should be explicit. Water Blast rules are explicit, Dual Blades rules are explicit. If gaining Energy Focus prevents you from regaining it until it is spent or runs out, it should say so.

Personally it feels too harsh to me. I should be able to use Total Focus while Energy Focus is up to perpetuate the Energy Focus state (which has no passive buff).

On 12/6/2020 at 5:27 PM, Wavicle said:

If that’s what it is then it should be explicit. Water Blast rules are explicit, Dual Blades rules are explicit. If gaining Energy Focus prevents you from regaining it until it is spent or runs out, it should say so.

Personally it feels too harsh to me. I should be able to use Total Focus while Energy Focus is up to perpetuate the Energy Focus state (which has no passive buff).

Oh ok, a text update should suffice then?