Lounging emote

Umagon 23

Can we please have the lounging emote that bobcat uses? I'd love all the animations to be player usable as emotes, but this one would be particularly useful as I enjoy loafing around like a cat.

I saw an npc in a SG base posed like that! its not just a bobcat thing!

File:Bobcat (Praetorian).jpg

• Like 1

I have a... secretary lounging like that in my base. It's a specific NPC in base design, can't remember which offhand.

/em sitbench2 is sorta the same... but only works with male toons. The emote is a prissy sit-up-straight for fems.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

4 hours ago, Umagon 23 said:

ungendered emotes would be great too.

Well, all gender fluidity and non-binariism and so forth aside. men and women don't sit the same. And an emote that makes a female toon sprawl in Theda Bara/Mae West fashion... may just not be the best idea. Nor a sit emote that has Superman daintily crossing his knees...

Huh. Later thought... wouldn't a Pheromone power set be... interesting?

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 12/24/2020 at 4:19 PM, Shenanigunner said:

Well, all gender fluidity and non-binariism and so forth aside. men and women don't sit the same. And an emote that makes a female toon sprawl in Theda Bara/Mae West fashion... may just not be the best idea. Nor a sit emote that has Superman daintily crossing his knees...

Huh. Later thought... wouldn't a Pheromone power set be... interesting?

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring on this one and say that you are incorrect here. Provided that the animation would line up correctly across male/female/huge skeletons (because they do have different geometry and some limbs/intersections might look more mangled/distorted than intended for certain poses) there is precisely zero reason that these *shouldn't* be made accessible to all characters. I'm not saying to overwrite the existing ones, but if we each have say 5 sit emotes, 5 male/5 female, then simple add five additional sit emotes called something like "sitswap", "sitopposite" or "sitalt".

The examples you give and say are "not a good idea" may be perfectly normal and valid ways for certain characters to sit. I happen to have a very gruff older lady character that would 100% do the spread-legged bench sprawl ala Mae West, likely accompanied by a scratch under her saggers and hocking a loogie for good measure because she just doesn't give an eff. Likewise I have a male character that would look right at home sitting or lounging with certain feminine emotes. In fact he'd quite *love* to have the Bobcat lounge available to him as he floats languidly in the air, and if he had the option to sit with his legs daintily crossed when he's being particularly sassy then so much the better. Point being, there are myriad characters, concepts and personalities, and the various sit emotes being made available across genders would be perfectly reasonable.

I might not have really weighed in on this, but the fact that you just strolled in and gave a prime example of two female celebrities (iconic ones at that) who would do exactly as an ungendered sit emote would allow and then call it "not the best idea", not to mention phrasing it almost distastefully for men to sit in a feminine fashion is kind of offensive. Heavens forfend a man cross his legs! If anything the argument you made only accentuated exactly why such a thing isn't an unreasonable request and why an argument against it sounds, frankly kinda bigoted. If the animations/poses are incompatible with the alternate gender skeletons without making them twist themselves into pretzels then that's just how things are and no harm done since we can't change those things yet. If they *can* be proliferated without causing someone to clip an entire leg through their other leg? I say bring it on and let us decide how our respective characters sit, gender norms be damned.

Edited by JKPhage
  • Like 3

For reference purposes here is the lovely Neuron modelling this animation on the standard Male rig through the magic of demo-editing.

1313796507_NeuronLounge.thumb.jpg.43c14250c76e1d4512d55ecd39719ef1.jpg

And Pre-GR Siege modelling for the Huge rig.

596920391_SiegeLounge.thumb.jpg.94f0c3a6d3e98406cb1a79459b488071.jpg

"I want you to draw me like one of your French androids."

I'd say it doesn't look brilliant on the huge rig due to significant distortion around their tree trunk-size necks, but otherwise seems to work okay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

Well, without either praising or damning any gender politics viewpoint, I'll just suggest that technical issues alone (as Aberrant just showed) make gender-fluid sit emotes something of a low priority and/or near impossibility given the limits of the engine and modeling. There are a considerable number of game issues that need addressing before allowing your Supes-shaped toon to sit like Alice at a tea, or any verse vice-a.

7 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Well, without either praising or damning any gender politics viewpoint, I'll just suggest that technical issues alone (as Aberrant just showed) make gender-fluid sit emotes something of a low priority and/or near impossibility given the limits of the engine and modeling. There are a considerable number of game issues that need addressing before allowing your Supes-shaped toon to sit like Alice at a tea, or any verse vice-a.

Again, you're incorrect here. Other than it looking ever so slightly wonky on Huge, it looks perfectly serviceable on male models. It is nothing *near* an impossibility, and, in fact, is very very easy, given that the devs don't have to rewrite the code from the ground up to put additional emotes in the list available to players. If it's a simple matter to do so then I see no issue whatsoever with spending a few minutes to add these options to all toons, which would not take away in the slightest from the "considerable number of game issues" you mention.

I'm not going to resort to personal attacks here, but I am going to say that from your viewpoints here I don't feel like you really have any place weighing in on this matter, and I personally find your point of view distasteful.

26 minutes ago, JKPhage said:

I'm not going to resort to personal attacks here, but I am going to say that from your viewpoints here I don't feel like you really have any place weighing in on this matter, and I personally find your point of view distasteful.

You very much have no idea who you're talking to here. 'Nuf sed.

You can class me, though, with those who regard this as a pleasant but highly fictional game with so many patently absurd aspects that dragging the current white-hot fury of gender issues into something as basically stupid as emote details is... well, it's one of the funniest damn things I've read in a while. I will allow John Carmack to speak for me further, and I suspect you know exactly to what I'm referring.

4 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

You very much have no idea who you're talking to here. 'Nuf sed.

No, I don't. You know who that makes you? Nobody that important.

Also, I'm not even getting into this over the whole "gender politics" issue. Your first reply gave two very good examples of women using this same kind of mannerism then just saying "Nope, not a good idea." which is not only counterintuitive but self-contradictory.

Then someone posted an example that shows and says "Yeah, this works just fine on the other gender rigs." and you proceeded to reply with "It's obviously near impossible, as you've just demonstrated!" as if you didn't pay attention to the blatant visual evidence that it works perfectly fine. You literally took an example that it works, in support of the suggestion, and claimed that it demonstrates that it doesn't work.

Your entire contribution to the discussion has been contradictory and/or tried to turn valid examples of why it works just fine and is perfectly reasonable into examples that is somehow is not, even though said examples were clearly supportive of the point. Whoever you are, the fact that you don't see this is laughable to me. The fact that you've phrased things in a borderline insulting and dismissive way says to me that you don't support it due to some bigoted mindset ("Supes sitting like Alice at a tea") and that's the air you're giving off. If you don't feel that way then you need to learn how to adjust your language so you don't project that image. At this point, however, you come across as not wanting this to happen because of some sort of prejudice and have portrayed yourself as hateful and dismissive of other people, with a bad attitude to top it off.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter, because I don't care to converse with people like you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JKPhage said:

No, I don't. You know who that makes you? Nobody that important.

Also, I'm not even getting into this over the whole "gender politics" issue. Your first reply gave two very good examples of women using this same kind of mannerism then just saying "Nope, not a good idea." which is not only counterintuitive but self-contradictory.

Then someone posted an example that shows and says "Yeah, this works just fine on the other gender rigs." and you proceeded to reply with "It's obviously near impossible, as you've just demonstrated!" as if you didn't pay attention to the blatant visual evidence that it works perfectly fine. You literally took an example that it works, in support of the suggestion, and claimed that it demonstrates that it doesn't work.

Your entire contribution to the discussion has been contradictory and/or tried to turn valid examples of why it works just fine and is perfectly reasonable into examples that is somehow is not, even though said examples were clearly supportive of the point. Whoever you are, the fact that you don't see this is laughable to me. The fact that you've phrased things in a borderline insulting and dismissive way says to me that you don't support it due to some bigoted mindset ("Supes sitting like Alice at a tea") and that's the air you're giving off. If you don't feel that way then you need to learn how to adjust your language so you don't project that image. At this point, however, you come across as not wanting this to happen because of some sort of prejudice and have portrayed yourself as hateful and dismissive of other people, with a bad attitude to top it off.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter, because I don't care to converse with people like you.

Remarkable.

I think they should open up all the emote animations and not have segregated male/female iterations. Sure it will probably create a lot of really funny-looking broken models but that just sounds like it'd be fun. I can't stop laughing at the Huge rig that Aberrant posted, but I'm also kind of weird and find broken animations funny. Opening up the emotes a little more could have its actually useful benefits too. If someone wants a gruff old lady to sit like a gruff old lady instead of having to choose between the somewhat regressive selection of female poses, they could have that too. If you have a Huge male character who's making strides in the fashion world by modeling lingerie for Vogue, then hey, you can do that if you want. Sounds like it'd be fun.

Might be worth pestering a higher-up a *little* bit to reorganize the emotes to a more versatile state. I'm with OP on this.

As for Shenanigunner and JKPhage, you two gotta loosen up. We're all just nerds at computers. None of this big talk or dunking on each other. That kind of thing doesn't belong in a community like this. If someone's being an asshole, let them be an asshole in their own sad little corner and pay them no mind.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 5:52 AM, Aberrant said:
Spoiler

For reference purposes here is the lovely Neuron modelling this animation on the standard Male rig through the magic of demo-editing.

1313796507_NeuronLounge.thumb.jpg.43c14250c76e1d4512d55ecd39719ef1.jpg

And Pre-GR Siege modelling for the Huge rig.

596920391_SiegeLounge.thumb.jpg.94f0c3a6d3e98406cb1a79459b488071.jpg

"I want you to draw me like one of your French androids."

I'd say it doesn't look brilliant on the huge rig due to significant distortion around their tree trunk-size necks, but otherwise seems to work okay.

Yeah, that does not look like it works to me. The arm is just floating there on both models, it wouldn't look right unless you found a prop that's exactly the right height off the ground for your character. And what "exactly the right height" is will vary wildly based on your character's size and gender. I'm not surprised this hasn't been made available; I don't think it meets the quality bar.

41 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Yeah, that does not look like it works to me. The arm is just floating there on both models, it wouldn't look right unless you found a prop that's exactly the right height off the ground for your character. And what "exactly the right height" is will vary wildly based on your character's size and gender. I'm not surprised this hasn't been made available; I don't think it meets the quality bar.

This was without any repositioning or finding suitable locations, just replacing Bobcat in place to show the animation works on the other rigs. Honestly I don't think the currently existing sitting emotes match up well with most chairs especially if your character has non standard height or leg sliders. Most of the chairs in interior spaces aren't even big enough for a character to get into position on them, or are comically oversized sofas where your back doesn't reach the backrest. There are the 'SitTable' emotes that I don't think I've ever found a suitable location to use them without demoediting yourself into an impossible position. If those animations were being reviewed now I'd say they also don't meet the quality bar, so I fail to see how giving players access to this animation is any worse than those.

Edited by Aberrant
  • Thanks 1

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

Oh i'm totally on board with the idea that some may look funny. and that devs shouldn't spend valuable time tryin to make girl sits look just right for boys and vice versa.

BUT i think all the CoH animations have strange side effects already, right now. normal sized women look like children in chairs. beds are like 16 feet long. its fine.

if a gigantoid wants to sassily lean over awaiting his time being drawn like a french girl, then having that option would be great 🙂. we already have to reposition in accordance with how big our character is to make current animations work. 

I would just love to see all the villian/other/npc animations as player options even if it's as simply implimented as /me npcanimation1 /me npcanimation2 etc.

Edited by Umagon 23
  • Like 2