Show us the numbers for our powers, please!

Really happy that you're starting to reverse some of the numbers-averse decisions of the game's earlier devs, with the recharge timers and such. But I'd like to see more.

What with set enhancements and such, the numbers surrounding our powers are a bit of a mess, and are largely hidden from view. We can see what the effect of the enhancements we're slotting is, in the manage screen, but when it comes to bonuses from various sets--plus X% damage resistance, Y% Defense, Z% recharge rate to all powers--we're kind of in the dark. We end up having to make decisions based on either guessing "that adds some numbers, so it must be good!" or else researching and earning a degree in statistics to work out exactly what each number means. (Really, if they were going to hide the numbers, they should have hidden all of them. This bit where we don't get a good understanding of what the base numbers are, BUT we can do things that add such-and-such percent to numbers we don't actually know anyway, is just dumb.)

I'd really like it if there was some way to display what our current stats are across all powers: our total percentage of damage resistance or defense per damage type at this moment (and maybe we could click an arrow or something to get a breakdown of what-all powers and set bonuses are providing it). Perhaps it could also show example numbers for what percent chance an even-level mob without any buffs or debuffs would have of hitting us (maybe with a dropdown we could adjust for +/- levels, like the one in Notoriety), because I've never really understood how Defense works exactly. Perhaps it could even explain how close we are to capping resist or defense. That would be nice.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

What with set enhancements and such, the numbers surrounding our powers are a bit of a mess, and are largely hidden from view. We can see what the effect of the enhancements we're slotting is, in the manage screen, but when it comes to bonuses from various sets--plus X% damage resistance, Y% Defense, Z% recharge rate to all powers--we're kind of in the dark. We end up having to make decisions based on either guessing "that adds some numbers, so it must be good!" or else researching and earning a degree in statistics to work out exactly what each number means. (Really, if they were going to hide the numbers, they should have hidden all of them. This bit where we don't get a good understanding of what the base numbers are, BUT we can do things that add such-and-such percent to numbers we don't actually know anyway, is just dumb.)

None of these numbers are hidden, and they can all be worked out with gradeschool math if you really absolutely need to know how much of a bonus your powers get:

Captain Billy has 0% global recharge. He picks Knockout Blow as one of his attacks, which has a 20 second recharge rate. He slots two recharge enhancements in his Knockout Blow that each gives him 40% recharge for this power. He then picks a power that gives him 20% global recharge. He then slots 2 enhancement sets into his other powers that give him 5% global recharge each. How many seconds does it take for Captain Billy's Knockout Blow to recharge? Please show your work clearly.

None of these numbers are hidden, and they can all be worked out with gradeschool math if you really absolutely need to know how much of a bonus your powers get:

Captain Billy has 0% global recharge. He picks Knockout Blow as one of his attacks, which has a 20 second recharge rate. He slots two recharge enhancements in his Knockout Blow that each gives him 40% recharge for this power. He then picks a power that gives him 20% global recharge. He then slots 2 enhancement sets into his other powers that give him 5% global recharge each. How many seconds does it take for Captain Billy's Knockout Blow to recharge? Please show your work clearly.

To be fair, as you said, "show your work".  This isn't a problem that can be easily solved in ones head, and if you have to run to paper and pencil, calculator or excel to solve it, then that takes time out of the game, which is a major pain.  I can totally see this as a QoL enhancement for those care about the Min/Maxing of abilities.  I'm not +1 it, because I don't care, but I understand the OP pain, empathize, and think they posted their suggested in the right place...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

To be fair, as you said, "show your work".  This isn't a problem that can be easily solved in ones head, and if you have to run to paper and pencil, calculator or excel to solve it, then that takes time out of the game, which is a major pain.  I can totally see this as a QoL enhancement for those care about the Min/Maxing of abilities.  I'm not +1 it, because I don't care, but I understand the OP pain, empathize, and think they posted their suggested in the right place...

fortunately for the people who took 'you'll never use math outside of high school' to heart, there's pine's hero designer which does all the math for you

fortunately for the people who took 'you'll never use math outside of high school' to heart, there's pine's hero designer which does all the math for you

Imagine a world where people can suggest things that make the game more enjoyable for them...They could call those suggestions QoL improvements (that's Quality of Life).  It's a world where you don't have to always do things a more difficult way.  Where you could improve the game so that people can stay immersed in longer and enjoy it more. The game could even have a forum, maybe even a suggestions thread where those QoL improvement could be proposed.

A world where your playstyle isn't impacted if you prefer Pines, or using that good ol' fashioned grade school math.

This QoL doesn't get my vote, but it certainly wouldn't hurt me if implemented.  Why not be civil in the response...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Powers -> Combat Attributes

This uh, existed in Live, as well.

0S8znXa.png

1. Go to this window.

2. Right click on the attribute you wish to always display. (Smashing resistance for example.)

3. Select the option to monitor that thing.

4. Profit!  IE you now have that thing always in display.

What I like to keep track of is current hit points, various defensive stats and maybe resists, damage bonus for a kin or blaster or brute especially, maybe recharge bonus, and influence last so I always know how very rich I am.  ;D

Imagine a world where people can suggest things that make the game more enjoyable for them...They could call those suggestions QoL improvements (that's Quality of Life).  It's a world where you don't have to always do things a more difficult way.  Where you could improve the game so that people can stay immersed in longer and enjoy it more. The game could even have a forum, maybe even a suggestions thread where those QoL improvement could be proposed.

A world where your playstyle isn't impacted if you prefer Pines, or using that good ol' fashioned grade school math.

This QoL doesn't get my vote, but it certainly wouldn't hurt me if implemented.  Why not be civil in the response...

imagine a world where you can say 'this is already possible' and people don't hurl paragraphs of sarcasm and tone policing at you

imagine a world where you can say 'this is already possible' and people don't hurl paragraphs of sarcasm and tone policing at you

I don't need to imagine - Shinobu just did so perfectly...Showed how it's possible, provided more detailed explanation, and was perfect civil.

+1 Inf Shinobu!

you now have that thing always in display.

What I like to keep track of is current hit points, various defensive stats and maybe resists, damage bonus for a kin or blaster or brute especially, maybe recharge bonus, and influence last so I always know how very rich I am.  ;D

My go to (I mainly run tanks or brutes) for stats are: Regen, Recovery, Defense/Resist numbers (usually S/F/E and Psi), To Hit, Damage and Recharge.

OP, you should know the most you can keep monitored at a time is 10 stats.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

I don't need to imagine - Shinobu just did so perfectly...Showed how it's possible, provided more detailed explanation, and was perfect civil.

+1 Inf Shinobu!

he didn't actually answer OP's question but thanks for the bad faith forum rep

he didn't actually answer OP's question but thanks for the bad faith forum rep

And your contribution is....?  Are you just here to throw down sarcasm, or do you have something to add besides negativity?

And your contribution is....?  Are you just here to throw down sarcasm, or do you have something to add besides negativity?

my contribution is "there already exists something that shows you all the numbers put together and it is pine's hero designer"

my contribution is "there already exists something that shows you all the numbers put together and it is pine's hero designer"

Except the OP was asking about being able to see these numbers in-game...so sure - there is pines, pen/paper, excel, what not...But sadly, none of those tools are in-game...

Can't you see the numbers in game via the "detailed info" buttons at the top of the power/enhancement management screen? And as others have mentioned the combat attributes screen shows all the totals of your current stats like defense or resistance. Or is that not what's being asked for?

7hZ6srn.png

Kyriani-Nic-Jem

When you click a power's "Detailed info", it doesn't show your global bonuses or any active buffs (for instance, having Assualt on you won't change the damage number in Detailed info), only the enhancement values for the power. So while it WILL show the effect of an Alpha slot (which is treated like an enhancement on all your powers), the set bonuses aren't treated as such.

So then you can go to the attribute monitor and see what your global bonuses and buffs are, but they won't give you the new values for every power.

So if I have an attack which does 25 damage, and it's enhanced for 100% damage, then I do 50 damage. Detailed Info will show this. If I have buffs and global bonuses equal to 200% (which the combat monitor will show), then the power is going to do 150 damage. I can figure THAT out in my head, or just look for the orange numbers floating over dude's heads. However, there's no one place showing the total of these two things. Which might be useful since most of the time, the numbers aren't that cut and dry. Most of the time it's like a power than does 47 damage with a 97.3% enhancement value and a 167.5% damage bu- oh no wait, someone just fulcrum shifted, so it's 247.5%.

If someone is interested in what that final number would be, and it's not an opaque number like damage, but something more like recharge or endurance use, then they're on their own (Though the devs are adding "real time countdowns" to powers soon, so that takes care of one concern).