De-randomize "Random" in Character Creator

So, I was playing around with the "random" button in the costume creator the other day, and I noticed a weird pattern. A lot, and I mean, damn near MOST, of the randomly-generated costumes had either an animal head, the "brain in a jar head", monster legs, and/or the Crab backpack. Heck, it seemed to cycle through most of the same options over and over.

So, if this is a problem, why would I ask to "de-randomize" the randomize option? Simple. Currently, it weighs all the top-level options equally. If we stop it from doing that, and maybe give certain options more "weight" than others (like cape for back details, since there are a ton of cape options), then the results would no longer be "random", BUT, the end results WOULD be more varied.

Just a thought.

I would just like the option to "lock" piece in so it didn't randomize.  Sometimes there a parts of the random character that look good to me, but I'm not patient / skilled enough to change everything else. I'd like like to lock that part in and keep hitting random.

Conversely, I sometimes have a costume close, but want to look at some other options. If I like the head, face, hair, etc... It would be nice to get some random help in the remaining areas without wiping out the stuff I liked.

• Like 7

I'd be all for being able to lock (or filter out) options when randomizing.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I've noticed the same thing.

When looking at randomized costumes, the majority of the costumes show animal heads and legs.

Sometimes it would be nice to lock in parts, or colors, or eliminate certain types of parts (animal heads, or full helmets, etc.)

I would like to have the random costume generator when talking to ICON or a trainer also.

So, in other words, I agree, with a bit more.

On 1/17/2021 at 2:43 AM, EmperorSteele said:

Currently, it weighs all the top-level options equally.

This here is the problem. Each category should be weighted by how many options it's got.

Edited by Take One
  • Like 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora