Why the hit boxes?

Lillylop

17 minutes ago, Lillylop said:

Yea I don't heh but since I don't PvP guess I don't see how useful it is lol

Being able to "share a space" with your allies in PvP makes you harder to target since they can't effectively click on you. This means they have to rely on tab-target or building a bunch of custom targeting macros to go after the person they want. On the flip side, being able to pass through your enemy REALLY matters in PvP games where facing is important. That's not a factor in CoH, but in games like WoW it could mean you never get an attack off because they keep walking through you to stand at your back, causing your attacks to fail due to facing the wrong way.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:10 PM, Lillylop said:

Well I just want it to be so that other players and pets can't shove me into mobs when I load into a mission so that I die...also the only reason I said toggle was cause it was suggested which was pretty good. 

There are a few solutions to your problem that already exist in game.

(1) When you zone into a mission, move somewhere else so other characters that zone in are much less likely to push you around.

(2) Take and use a Stealth power of some sort so you don't get spotted when you get pushed.

(3) Pay closer attention to who zones in & when so you are the pushER and not the pushEE. (i.e. wait for everyone else to zone first)

(4) Stop teaming with seven other Masterminds and all of their rude pets.

(5) Mention the problem you are experiencing to the team so they can help in that regard (either have them zone in first or don't zone in with ALL of their pets summoned).

(6) Get a self rez power and embrace the floor hugging when it happens and work towards the damage taken badges.

(7) Have teammates buff you up the wazoo before you step inside in case there is a problem to make it less likely you eat floor.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LiquidBandage said:

There are a few solutions to your problem that already exist in game.

(1) When you zone into a mission, move somewhere else so other characters that zone in are much less likely to push you around.

(2) Take and use a Stealth power of some sort so you don't get spotted when you get pushed.

(3) Pay closer attention to who zones in & when so you are the pushER and not the pushEE. (i.e. wait for everyone else to zone first)

(4) Stop teaming with seven other Masterminds and all of their rude pets.

(5) Mention the problem you are experiencing to the team so they can help in that regard (either have them zone in first or don't zone in with ALL of their pets summoned).

(6) Get a self rez power and embrace the floor hugging when it happens and work towards the damage taken badges.

(7) Have teammates buff you up the wazoo before you step inside in case there is a problem to make it less likely you eat floor.

With regards to 7, you also get to stack many buffs this way since the source counts as different when outside and inside.  I'm always sad when on a Kin or Bubbler and noone waits by a mission entrance to get doubled speed boost or forcefields.

40 minutes ago, Lillylop said:

Or or.. Could just figure out a way to disable the character boxes. Then I can just skip steps 1 through 7.. Plus pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants this to go away..

Have you looked at the code?

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

I've only wished for non-existent hitboxes in a couple scenarios. One is when exiting a helicopter mission and you get stuck in the back of the helicopter until people move. The other was in a tunnel council map, where there are stairs going through a downhill tunnel. Half our team couldn't get through until the dead enemy's hitbox disappeared.

Other than a few specific instances, I think collision boxes are fine and in fact necessary. 

19 hours ago, BelleSorciere said:

I really wish pet collision were removed. I thought it had been but that was probably wishful thinking. Or maybe only some pets.

It was for MM pets, at least between them and players.  I love being able walk right through them now. 

I do wish they'd turn it off for ALL pets.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lillylop said:

Uh yea my point exactly when I started this thread. ^

Yeah, I was in agreement.

3 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

It was for MM pets, at least between them and players.  I love being able walk right through them now. 

I do wish they'd turn it off for ALL pets.

Especially Phantom Army

Especially

• Like 1

One of the things I've always loved about CoH is the collision detection.  I love setting myself in a doorway or other choke point and keeping foes from reaching the rest of my group.  It's just heroic.  It never makes sense to me in other games that I can't do that.  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, ChzBoi said:

....I wonder how it would feel if it were reversed for all NPC - our supers would just walk through them....? 🤔

I was thinking about this the other day, and I imagine it should be more like when a real person walks through a real crowd, you actively twist and bend to get around people without bumping into them. You don't just collide and push them out of the way (except on accident, typically). 

Same thing when walking through a house or in the woods. You'll occasionally trip on something or bump into furniture, but you rarely snag on a chair, unable to move, until backing up and retrying.

I think it'd be an improvement if more things were somewhat "intangible" to imitate a normal, not to mention Super, person's ability to easily move past an obstacle.

Not really an answer but I remember some of the earliest videos where Jack mentioned having specific hit boxes for legs, chest, head, etc.  I'm wondering if it was too difficult and the single hitbox is a remnant. 

Really interesting after watching the video how you just enter the zone as soon as you open the door in the hospital with no delay as opposed to now, where it is click the door but see a black doorway instead of the outside,  and wait for the slight pause as your character enters the zone, and finishes their exit animation.

Edited by Kinestron