Scheduled fun?

QuillReaver

Hi,

As I get older I find that I don't have as much time for video games as I would like. The problem with only playing an hour or 2 a night is that it really sucks to spend a good chunk of that time looking for a group to play with, since this game is much more fun in a team.  To solve this problem, I would like to form a group of people that start a bunch of characters together and only play those characters together at scheduled times and do some of the more interesting content like trials and task forces.  Bonus points if people want the characters to have a common theme (like Justice League, Power Rangers, Umbrella Academy, Fantastic Four, etc.)

TL;DR: Looking for a group that:

- Only levels together (no soloing after hours)

- Plays at a scheduled time

- Wants to do TFs/Trials

- Possibly shares a theme

Hi QuillReaver,

I have been part of this kind of team for the better part of the last year, and we have leveled 3 sets of characters together. Our numbers have dwindled a little (there are 3-4 of us now) and we have been thinking of restarting with a new set of characters and trying to add some new members. I think our playstyle would align well with what you are looking for and that we would be a good match for each other. I am in, at least, and I'll mention this to the rest of the group as well.

• 2 weeks later

Hey there, similar situation here. New to the game in general but would love some people to play with. EST here.

Time slots I could play-

Friday 9pm-until whenever

Saturdays after 7pm

Edit: The idea of a theme sounds great, but I prefer it to be something original and not replicating existing characters in other media.

Edited by PsychoThruster
Additional comment
  • Like 1

Thanks! As for theme, anything really. Just going off my most recent character who's not super at all, just a stubborn guy with a gun, it could be fun to do a group theme around less than super heroes. Maybe even a bit of a d-team vibe.

Personally picking one or two of the origins and building our concepts around those sounds like it could be fun, but that may make it harder to share enhancements. 

Or maybe we're all primordial gods who have awoken from our ancient slumber and will bring death and destruction to the world (if villains are an option). 

A group of drones serving an unseen ai not unlike the star trek borg?

I'm also drawn to the retro flash gordon costume pieces so maybe a cheesy 50's scifi theme. 

What sort of themes have you guys done already?

I can't speak to everyone else, but some themes of mine can be determined from https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10583-vileterrors-roleplay-characters-as-of-2020-04-27/

- Undead/Demonic heroes

- Homeless and socially downtrodden heroes
- Ancient witch cabal

- Veterinary clinic for mundane and meta-powered animals

- Experimental intelligence cell for FBSA

- Paragon City law firm

- Monastery which trains anti-eldritch nuns/priests

- Extradimensional mercenaries

- Prestigious Villainy Academy

- Malta'esque militant group of mundane human supremacists

- Port Oakes neighbourhood watch

- Extradimensional demonic doomsday cult

- Trope'ishly predictable (mad) scientists

(to name a few)

• Like 1

In terms of themes, the group I mentioned in my previous post has done:

- Looney Tunes theme (we moved on from this theme in our late 20s, and for me this was the least fun theme)

- 80's Movies - had a lot of good variety with this one

- Same Name/same costume Illusion controllers - we were all named 'Jill Williams', which was possible due to the fact that the lowercase 'L' and uppercase 'i' appear the same

- Elemental theme powers and standardized costumes based on powerset - this sounds kinda cookie cutter but it was really fun

Some ideas we have kicked around for the next theme:

- All-melee team dressed up as professional wrestlers

- Fantasy-themed characters pulled from a D&D-like universe and tossed into Paragon City (kind of a reverse of the concept of the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon)

- Golden-age inspired characters

- Characters/costumes inspired by everyday household items

- All-energy power team with costumes that largely use the 'Spectrum' costume options

Time-wise, I can generally play after 9PM eastern most nights of the week except Friday. Another member of the group is limited to Sun-Tuesday evenings. If it matters, I am not a roleplayer, but I have no problem if other folks want to do that.

Edited by AboveTheChemist

It seems your group enjoys light hearted and humorous themes primarily, I think that could gel well with a mad scientist sort of retro scifi theme. 

Just trying to find the common thread in those that have posted so far. 

I mentioned flash gordon 50's scifi cheese.

TVT mentioned tropey mad scientist.

And your group seems to have a fun sense of humor. 

So perhaps one possible theme could be a mad scientist and his laboratory creations? 

• Like 1

The team I play with definitely doesn't take itself too seriously. I mentioned to them that there were some recent posts here they should check out, so I hope they'll have a chance to do so soon.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:16 PM, PsychoThruster said:

So perhaps one possible theme could be a mad scientist and his laboratory creations? 

I think that one of the potential characters I had in mind for one of our future themes would probably fit this theme well, so that sounds reasonable to me. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:23 PM, PsychoThruster said:

Or maybe we're all primordial gods who have awoken from our ancient slumber and will bring death and destruction to the world (if villains are an option)

This one sounds fun personally, but so many of the suggestions sound good.