Playing in first person

Gentoo

I like how in this game you can zoom the camera way out to see a wide battlefield, or all the way in that it is first person. I think its a lot of fun to play in first person, especially if playing a ranged character. Doing a mission in first person is more challenging, because you don't really know what is around you, what is behind that crate etc. 

You also may notice some details that you didn't realize were there before. Some of the art is more detailed than you may think. Whiteboards have actual names on them, etc.

And if you do play in first person, what do you think is the best powerset combination for it?

Edited by Gentoo
  • Like 1

I can't play in first person, because it makes me nauseous.  I avoid FPS games entirely because of that.

• Thanks 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Since City of Heroes isn't optimized for first-person the way a dedicated first-person game is, I tend not to do it so often . . . but, yes @Gentoo.  It is -definitely- an excellent feature to be able to do so!

Now if only I could do a detached 3rd person overhead view, and play my Masterminds like it was a real-time strategy.

• Like 2

Agree with most of the comments. It has something to do with the camera positioning, but I find first person both disorienting and clumsy, as if I am looking at the battle through a piece of pipe. No peripheral vision in any direction.

An aside, but I have HOME bound to a camera distance setting that I tweak for each alt by height and archetype. About 30 feet seems to be optimum; a little closer for melee types, a little further for ranged. That way I can zoom in and out but always conveniently return to a "best" view.

I do wish first-person worked a little better, because I'd like to play that immersively. (And have electric dreams of CoH/VR... sigh.)

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

11 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I can't play in first person, because it makes me nauseous.  I avoid FPS games entirely because of that.

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

Me too.  So of course a couple years ago someone got me a VR system 

Me three.  I've been a very disappointed gamer before when I learn games I'm just begging to play are only 1st person perspective.  I struggle through the occasional Halo night with friends because I really want to be around them, but I'm usually the first to quit due to pseudo motion sickness.

Do any of the VR systems have complete wrap-around peripheral?  I might give that a go, though I'll likely still have some issues.

I drop into 1st person (rarely) when I am solo stealthing complicated maps for glowies and hard to find stuff.  caves can be a nightmare, as we all know, because of forced camera angle shifts.  1st person avoids that.  it helps me zip through tunnels (i use non boosted flight or mystic flight) because i can better judge projections and terrain features.  

However in combat I find it impossible.  I need to know how many enemies, position, abilities, etc.  1st person robs me of everything useful and gives me a close up view of a Freakshow Tank's grill instead.  Hard Pass.

9 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Can anyone explain, technically, why CoH's first person is so bad, when other games do it well?

Based on my experience it is due to the information filter.  I believe most 1st person setups have WAY more relevant data streaming to you in almost a "Heads Up Display" format.  (why i run robots, way more immersive)  City of Heroes combat data is nearly all visual.  If you are not backed up over the shoulder view you are probably going to miss that Malta Sapper with the signature blue rifle just off to your left.  And, well, are you ever in for a surprise....

I think you can vary the field of view, which might help with first person.

But, if you haven't tried it, next time you are on a toon with SuperSpeed or similar, try a first person street run. It's a hoot! (Extra points for playing March of the Swivelheads by English Beat as you go!)*

Re: 3rd person, I believe the /camdist command lets you dolly out much farther than the default. It is great for MMs!

* Yeah, well, I'm an antique. But Deadpool referenced the same movie, so I'm not completely out of touch!

Of course I use a lot of exclamation points! I'm from the Silver Age! Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?

Edited by DoctorDitko

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

20 hours ago, Techwright said:

Me three.  I've been a very disappointed gamer before when I learn games I'm just begging to play are only 1st person perspective.  I struggle through the occasional Halo night with friends because I really want to be around them, but I'm usually the first to quit due to pseudo motion sickness.

Do any of the VR systems have complete wrap-around peripheral?  I might give that a go, though I'll likely still have some issues.

Yeah the headaches are unpleasant

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Re: 3rd person, I believe the /camdist command lets you dolly out much farther than the default. It is great for MMs!

Yes, camdist goes to 120, wheel zoom only to 80. But any touch of the wheel and it will snap to 80.

• Thanks 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com