How to make a tougher solo 50 blaster?

Mashugana

How can i make my blasters a little tougher for solo content at 50? I have over a billion inf so I can slot pretty much anything. I am sure it varies from blaster to blaster but what is your general advice? Tough with a specific attuned IO set? Some +Def powers?

I am not sure how to build the layers to make my blasters a little sturdier - thanks for any advice 🙂

Check out any of @Nemu builds.

My Fire/Elec is based on his, and is very tough due to soft-capped S/L/R def, plus the mitigation that /Elec provides in Force of Thunder (big area stun -> KD) and Thunderstrike (KD), both of which benefit from KB->KD IOs and FF+rchrg IOs.  Hard to beat.

My Fire/Atomic also has S/L/R def and tried to slot for mitigation in /Atomic but it's not quite as sturdy ( @PainX tweaked it for moar dmg, which I need to get around to respeccing).  Can search my username.

The alternative is to go for soft-capped Ranged def and stay at range, but that generally puts you into Hover-blaster mode which can be a little harder on some maps.  The benefit is you can hit soft-cap Ranged and still take a Res shield in the Epic (and maybe even Bonfire).  Soft-cap S/L/R tends to push you into Scorpion Shield, so no Res shield.

Water/* has a lot of mitigation in Water (see @Galaxy Brain tests), so if you did Water/* at Range you can kind of get the best of both worlds.  My Water/Plant was on a full DA team the other day and the leader bitched me out for staying ahead of the group and basically killing everything lol.

Edited by brasilgringo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mashugana said:

How can i make my blasters a little tougher for solo content at 50? I have over a billion inf so I can slot pretty much anything. I am sure it varies from blaster to blaster but what is your general advice? Tough with a specific attuned IO set? Some +Def powers?

I am not sure how to build the layers to make my blasters a little sturdier - thanks for any advice 🙂

What are your primary and secondary power sets?

On 2/6/2021 at 6:50 PM, McGarnackle said:

What are your primary and secondary power sets?

I am leveling a sonic/sonic right now but I was also wondering if there is general advice - like to always take Tough and slot it with xxx enhancements or to take Combat Jumping and slot these xxx awesome +Def procs

ty!

1 hour ago, Mashugana said:

I am leveling a sonic/sonic right now but I was also wondering if there is general advice - like to always take Tough and slot it with xxx enhancements or to take Combat Jumping and slot these xxx awesome +Def procs

Well, if that's what you mean, then there are some basics:

Panacea and Numina's IOs into Health (unless you're 6-slotting Numina into your Sustain power for the Ranged D bonus, in which case the Numina IO goes there)

Unique IOs from Steadfast Protection, Gladiator's Armor, and Unbreakable Guard into Tough.

Unique resist IOs from Shield Wall and Reactive Defenses into some defense power that you'll always be running. Combat Jumping is good, but Weave is an option, and you might also run either Stealth or Maneuvers.

Both of the Blaster ATO sets give Ranged Defense as a bonus. And if you can spare one ranged AoE to mule, the Frozen set for it gives 2 AoE Defense bonuses.

The full Gaussian set into your Build Up or Aim gives 2.5% Defense to Melee/Ranged/AoE, so unless you're going for S/L Defense, it's a pretty good option.

• Like 1

Sonic/Sonic is thematic but not synergistic. The cones from the primary and the melee heavy secondary doesn't pair well with each other but you can make do.

It helps to understand what you want to get out of the secondary before we nail down a focus for how you build for survival. Are you planning to use those melee attacks or do you prefer to stay at range? I hope it's the former because you'd have a pretty poo character if you went all ranged with that pairing. Sonic blast is pretty much bottom tier and it needs more damage options from the secondary/epic pools to make it feel less poo.

My typical melee blaster template takes scorpion shield and tries to softcap Smashing/Lethal/Range defenses. Smashing/Lethal will cover most attacks in melee range including most Melee AoE attacks that AVs/GMs throw out, and range defense will cover anything else shooting at you from afar. Range defense just as, if not more important on a melee blaster compared to S/L defense. You will have additional options to mitigate damage from the things that are in your face, but it's the stuff shooting from range that you can't directly interact with that can end a fight before it starts.

Blaster survival is not about staying in one place, infinitely more so when you are melee blasting and I can't stress this enough. Builds aside the one thing that you can learn that will significantly improve your survival is how to move, when to move, and where to move. For example, when fighting AVs stand behind them outside of their PbAoE range so you don't get caught by their cone attacks aimed at the tank, or when you notice area debuffs move out of them instead of standing your ground holding a sign that says "EZ Kill Here." Learn the art of movement and you'll be better off than most people that play this game with internet builds they copied somewhere.

Stealth is important, and there is no reason not to have a little stealth on every single character you make. Stick an unbound leap or celerity stealth proc in sprint and it will reduce mob aggro radius and make it a little easier to alpha strike the mobs, pair that with super speed or stealth and you have pretty much total invisibility to most mobs. This is a very cheap investment with a great payoff, you should do it on every character you make.

One last thing, don't ever pick up and use shout. It's terrible. The rooting, the delayed damage, everything about that power stinks. Drop it and use echo chamber with procs instead.

One last last thing, I try to build some slow resistance in all my builds. It sucks to have debuffs that neuter your recharge applied on you and there is enough content in this game that makes that a legitimate annoyance. So I shoot for 65% or above on most builds.

This is what I would do if I were to build a sonic/sonic. not quite softcap on S/L/E but enough to make you a lot tougher than you currently are I'm sure.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Blaster
Primary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Secondary Power Set: Sonic Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Shriek -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(5)
Level 1: Sonic Thrust -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Scream -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(42)
Level 4: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(40), WntGif-ResSlow(43)
Level 6: Howl -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(7), Artl-Dam/Rech(7), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(9), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(11), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(11)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(9), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(48), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(50)
Level 10: Shockwave -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(15), Ann-ResDeb%(15), Artl-Acc/Dam(17), Artl-Dam/End(19), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(50)
Level 12: Amplify -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(13), GssSynFr--Build%(13)
Level 14: Echo Chamber -- Dcm-Build%(A), Apc-Dam%(34), GldJvl-Dam%(34), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(34), UnbCns-Dam%(36), HO:Nucle(37)
Level 16: Sound Booster -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(17)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19)
Level 20: Sound Barrier -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(27), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(33), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(33)
Level 22: Strident Echo -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(25), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(25)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(27)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(29), ShlWal-Def(29), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx(31), Rct-ResDam%(33)
Level 32: Dreadful Wail -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(39)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def(36)
Level 38: Earsplitter -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(43), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Dam%(48)
Level 41: Tactics -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(48)
Level 44: Deafening Wave -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), Erd-Dmg(45), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Erd-%Dam(46), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(50)
Level 47: Disruption Aura -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------

If you want something safer solo Siren's Song is a great power to include in your arsenal. However on teams that power is useless. I also skipped Sound Cannon. You can already recycle shockwave->howl->shockwave and juggle mobs and the recharge is too long on Sound Cannon to be worth investing a power pick and additional slots into.

Edited by Nemu

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Since you said “At 50” don’t neglect the “Build Changers” that are your Incarnate powers.  Some of these powers will pretty much let you go all-out with radically different slotting/set bonus strategies than what you could have ever accomplished pre-50.  For example, Alpha - Agility and Destiny - Agless pretty much cover any END or Recharge needs you ever had, or can greatly amplify the slotting you already took to get there pre-50.  This allows you to re-allocate slots in all kinds of interesting ways.  If you are missing Mezz protection, Ageless-Clarion and Hybrid - Melee can cover those weak areas.  Or Ageless-Barrier pretty much shores up any build that was sporting less-than-softcapped DEF already.

Cleary not options pre-50, but since you are already there, I’d strongly suggest you consider how Incarnate powers (and explore BOTH sides of the tree for some very interesting differences in bonuses!) figure into your build.  Getting vet levels 1-12 happens incredibly fast as you keep playing, and with careful slotting of incarnate components, judicious use of Empyrean and Astral merits, heavy engagement in the weekly strike force and myriad of daily iTrials running all the time it’s entirely possible to achieve T4 across ALL Incarnate powers by Vet level 12.  I do frequently on my alts, some even earlier.  I won’t even consider a slotting strategy to beef up any alt without calculating the benefits of the Incarnate powers I’ll be accumulating.  And best of all, other than the time invested to accumulate the merits/components....Incarnate powers are totally FREE.

Edited by Crysis
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later
1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I still hate that I have to lean on clarion core for all my squishies to be tolerable.

Rune of protection can replace the need for mez protection on squishies significantly, although i only use it on my blasters because my corrs and defenders all have 45% ranged def which mitigates most incoming mez from landing in the first place. On blasters, a must have, imo. With high recharge ROP is about 66% uptime. I dont use clarion on anything because I use incandescence on everything for team teleports. When starting a tf, i typically only need to grab 2-3 break frees to be set the whole way through.

• Like 1

Currently on fire.

Clarion isn't needed.

OP: If you are still levelling your Sonic/Sonic, how set on those power sets are you? Maybe you might be willing to switch to a different set of power sets? Sonic is at the bottom of the pack in many ways. I'd certainly be willing to power level you back up to your current level if you wanted to switch power sets.

You can build for fairly high smash/lethal defense but  I've found capped ranged defense is superior and also easier to achieve. To capitalise on capped ranged defense you'd wanted to take power sets that have at least one or two good targeted AOEs (not cones.)

If you want to be a blapper then smash/lethal (or melee defense) would be better. Sonic/Sonic wouldn't be too bad as a blapper. I can think of a decent Smash/Lethal defense build to capitalise on Siren's Song and strong single target attacks.

Ice, Fire, Water, Archery, Electric, Energy, and Radiation primaries are all great options for capped ranged defense builds with enough non-cone ranged AOE damage to be effective.  The best ones would be Ice, Archery, and Water as their nukes are targeted AOEs (not cones.) 

As far as secondaries go: Devices, Energy, Tactical Arrow, Radiation, and Temporal are great.

Edited by McGarnackle

On 2/24/2021 at 3:10 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

I still hate that I have to lean on clarion core for all my squishies to be tolerable.

One of the best ways to skip Clarion entirely (and I think I only carry it on one Blaster) is to go Hybrid-Melee and Rune of Protection.  I often alternate between those two.  Between i-Softcapped SLE and R from IO sets, plus the boost from Melee Hybrid, you are pretty much playing a ranged stalker.  Mezz isn’t an issue if it doesn’t land (which is where the high DEF comes into play) and if it does, you pop ROP, get the boost in RES and then pop Hybrid Melee thereafter.

1 hour ago, Crysis said:

Mezz isn’t an issue if it doesn’t land (which is where the high DEF comes into play) and if it does, you pop ROP, get the boost in RES and then pop Hybrid Melee thereafter.

I've always stated that I love defense sets like SR partly because of how much nastiness there is heading our way that just never lands, so I can absolutely grok the benefits of the softcap, but even then, I wouldn't want to run any of my SRs without Practiced Brawler. Mez is absolutely LESS of an issue when softcapped but it still happens enough that it annoys heavily and does so for at least 50 levels since there is no way to perma RoP.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I've always stated that I love defense sets like SR partly because of how much nastiness there is heading our way that just never lands, so I can absolutely grok the benefits of the softcap, but even then, I wouldn't want to run any of my SRs without Practiced Brawler. Mez is absolutely LESS of an issue when softcapped but it still happens enough that it annoys heavily and does so for at least 50 levels since there is no way to perma RoP.

I’ve just not had that experience.  But sometimes, we enjoy certain AT’s than others due to game mechanics.  Mezz isn’t that big of a deal for me on any Blaster, Corruptor, etc and the Sorcery pool has been a nice bonus to work into builds as “oh crap” buttons.  I mean I have many, many Melee builds and Psi or Toxic are annoying to deal with because I don’t have easy mitigation for those either, even if Mezz is virtually ignorable altogether (other than the pesky Fear powers).  But every AT is meant to have at least SOME weakness.  Heck, the entire Warshade/Peacebringer AT have Q’s -JUST- to annoy them.

All I’m saying Bill is that without a little bit of crack in your armor, you don’t have much reason to feel Super.  Even Superman has his Kryptonite.

27 minutes ago, Crysis said:

All I’m saying Bill is that without a little bit of crack in your armor, you don’t have much reason to feel Super.  Even Superman has his Kryptonite.

But I'm a devil. We don't even fear the creator. 🙂

I hear ya. I enjoy my squishies when I team. My blaster even made it through a TF without faceplanting the other night! Now taking her to DA for max diff stuff? Painful.