Wishlist: "Secret Identity Mode"

RikOz

I know this will never happen unless the game resumes formal, honest-to-goodness new development, and even then I'm not sure it's even possible, but I think it's a fun idea.

"Secret Identity Mode"

Basically a roleplaying function where a special, specific costume slot is tied to the character's "secret identity". Only "civilian" costume parts would be available. That is, only those costume parts that could be reasonably considered "street clothes" or "work clothes", so none of the more outlandish tights, no armor, no robotic parts (I mean, a battle robot isn't exactly going to have a secret identity to begin with), and no weapons/shields.

Since it's a separate "mode", it would be accessed via a menu command or perhaps a special toggle power that turns "secret identity mode" on/off.

Turning on your secret identity would automatically switch you into your civilian street clothes "costume", and - this is the key part - disables your powers. In their place, you would gain full access to the Fighting pool powers.

The key feature of this mode would be that, while in your "secret identity", you would be able to freely move about the city without being instantly recognized and attacked by most villain groups. Basically, you would be treated like a normal NPC citizen. You might get mugged by Hellions or whomever, in which case you could choose to switch to your superhero/villain identity, which for RP purposes would blow your secret ID, particularly since the heroes at least don't "kill" the bad guys. This could be represented by temporarily being unable to turn "Secret Identity Mode" back on for a period of time. Alternatively, you could remain in Secret ID mode and defend yourself with your Fighting pool skills, or you could simply run away. You'd still be faster, stronger, and tougher than most street punks, but level differences would still apply. Even so, these "muggings" would be relatively rare.

This idea is based on some of the "immersion" issues I've had with MMOs over the years, that are not easily solved without a "special" mode. For example, in World of Warcraft, NPCs frequently address you by the name of your class, even when they have just met you for the first time and have not seen you "in action". Unless your character is equipped with class-specific armor sets (like those obtained from raids or PvP), there is really no way to immediately distinguish, visually, between, say, a Retribution Paladin and an Arms Warrior. Both wear plate armor and wield a 2-handed weapon. Both specs are offered the exact same quest rewards, and can equip exactly the same gear from random drops. So while leveling, at least, there is no visual distinction. The same applies to the visual difference between a priest and a mage. And then there is the fact that "friendly" NPCs can see right through a rogue's stealth. I found it extremely immersion-breaking the time my human rogue stealthed into a shop in Stormwind City, the human capitol, and the shopkeeper immediately yelled out, "Welcome, rogue!" I was all, "SHHHHHH! Keep it down!" And if you're a serious RPer who removes all armor and puts on generic civilian clothing while RPing in a city or otherwise not engaging in combat/adventuring, there's now no visual way somebody could identify your class, regardless of what kind of armor and weapons you normally use. Still, everybody knows anyway.

Anyway, I know this will probably never happen, but it's fun to speculate.

I use a macro to change into my characters secret identity, and I use a separate powers tray with Walk, Sprint, and Brawl in it and a few other "Secret Identity" macros in it.

As much as I love the Secret Identity of my characters, the challenges I see are

1.) Some people's characters alternate ID's still have full powers (Captain America, Superman, all Mutants, Natural origins [Hawkeye, Batman] etc).  How do you handle them during a mugging?

2.) And many characters may have alternate ID's that aren't even human, but still not all costumed up.  Wouldn't they still be attacked all the time?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

As much as I love the Secret Identity of my characters, the challenges I see are

1.) Some people's characters alternate ID's still have full powers (Captain America, Superman, all Mutants, Natural origins [Hawkeye, Batman] etc).  How do you handle them during a mugging?

The same way your example characters do: Hold back, and use just basic fighting skills. It may be surprising to a mugger when their victim fights back with trained fighting skills, but it's not unreasonable to the point that they would instantly identify you as your superhero persona. Take them down with one or two punches, and the mugger can chalk it up to "they got in a lucky shot". Even the weapon-using heroes are still capable fighters when unarmed. That's why I included granting access to the Fighting pool "powers". Those "powers" represent any character, regardless of actual powers, "holding back".

2.) And many characters may have alternate ID's that aren't even human, but still not all costumed up.  Wouldn't they still be attacked all the time?

Well, like I said, this "mode" would be mainly intended as a roleplaying tool, not so much as a gameplay tool, and the player could RP any explanation they like for how, or if, their character passes as a "normal" human. They could be a shapeshifter, like J'onn J'onnz/Martian Manhunter, easily able to assume a human form. The Earth of Paragon City has highly advanced technology, so perhaps they are able to convincingly disguise themselves as human. My suggestion to disallow robotic parts in the secret ID wardrobe could still allow for a cyborg, or even a human-sized/-shaped robot using a realistic, synthetic "skin", or simply hiding a robotic arm under long sleeves and gloves. A non-shapeshifter whose body shape and/or features preclude a physical disguise could utilize technology in the form of a device that clouds the perception of anybody who looks at them, fooling them into seeing a normal human.

I have a green-skinned Martian character who is not a shapeshifter, but could, if she chose (she doesn't) disguise her green skin with makeup or synthetic coverings. On the other hand, another character of mine is an 8-foot-tall, huge, advanced A.I. robotic fighting machine whose only programmed purpose is to "protect humanity", and it doesn't see any reason at all to maintain a secret identity, even if it were possible for him. Another character is an ordinary, middle-aged, brilliant scientist who has no powers at all until she drinks the formula she invented. Then she changes into a 7-foot-tall warrior who wields the power of the sun.

With RP, the possible explanations are endless!

Let's pretend that you live in a world with a very high incidence of violent people.  Plenty of people live peacefully, but in this world violence is common enough that gangs are an unsolvable problem and even the police themselves operate more like a gang.  Medical technology and legal realities have adapted, with summary sentencing carried out in a matter of hours and injuries that would be life-threatening in our world treatable by extraordinarily efficient robotic doctors.  And of course, since this is the world of City of Heroes, there are super powers.

In this world, you yourself are a criminal.  You're an adrenaline junkie who lives in a city, Paragon, that functions as the national hub for superheroes.  Because of the rapid legal system and social safety nets, ordinary citizens in this city essentially never resort to violence; they'd be swiftly punished if they were by zealous (perhaps overzealous) up-and-coming heroes -- and anyway there's very little sense of real physical danger because of the advanced medical tech.  Knowing all this, you're momentarily surprised when you're on your third ordinary mugging of Thursday when your mark suddenly throws a punch.

And you ask yourself: Is this person probably a superhero in plainclothes?

I leave the logic as an exercise for the reader.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

You are under the assumption that secret identities are well secret. in a world where crey likely owns thousands of spy sats, every security camera, and has a psion second only to sister psyche at its head, I doubt very many heroes can keep their identity secret.

Then there is hero registration, ofcouse such a system can be comprised and data stolen. Same with ever SGs roster.

Back in the day though for some characters I had 2 toons, one would be their civvie mode, with their civvie name, and would use a set like MA and then only lvl it to about 10 or so to represent holding back my full powers. It was a little clunky but now we have so many character slots this is far more practical to do if you  really want to.

In a city where gangsters spend time tugging on a purse openly in a street being patrolled by super-powered beings, why would it be some form of stealth?

Right now, you can do everything but be stealthy while you walk around the city.  And when you Walk, every power is disabled until you turn it off.

So, I don't really see how effective this is, even from an RP perspective.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

I honestly can't see this being very good for RP, either, because losing access to all your powers, while still knowing how to fight properly, in a civilian disguise only fits a small percentage of characters concepts. I would guess that the majority of character concepts are of characters that would either still have their abilities while "off the clock," or be completely unable to fight without their special equipment.

I honestly can't see this being very good for RP, either, because losing access to all your powers, while still knowing how to fight properly, in a civilian disguise only fits a small percentage of characters concepts. I would guess that the majority of character concepts are of characters that would either still have their abilities while "off the clock," or be completely unable to fight without their special equipment.

Yeah, some of the Natural Ranged groups, the power suit groups, and all the others that rely on otherwise stored equipment would be "at a disadvantage", unless they've a properly tuned teleporter for their uniform and equipment to suddenly come in, as opposed to, say, a Mutant who can burn just by thinking about it.

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

It is a nice idea, however - we have a lot of costume slots, can make our bluejeans and t-shirt, no cape no aura costume, use self control or swap bars to do the same thing. I am glad to see I am not the only one who has. :)

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

It is a nice idea, however - we have a lot of costume slots, can make our bluejeans and t-shirt, no cape no aura costume, use self control or swap bars to do the same thing. I am glad to see I am not the only one who has. :)

And you can always use one of the costume change emotes along with a macro to set up the changes ala Iceman and Firestar from Spider-man and His Amazing Friends (I kind of miss that show).

I just don't get this.

Azuria will talk to Dr. Amazing.

Twinshot will talk to Dr. Amazing.

Eagle Eye will talk to Dr. Amazing.

Switch into civvies and they won't have time for you. They do not know you.  You are not someone that they will tell where the Skulls are hiding or that they will entrust with even the simplest of errands.

A secret identity, in the sense being proposed here, is good only within an RP group, and an RP group doesn't need the game to make special mechanics for them.

Otherwise?  You are just standing around in civvies and not partaking in any adventures.

An activity that also does not require the game to make special mechanics.

If an occasional random NPC mentioning your character's name while you are in your civvies is too much for you then you probably expect too much to begin with.

In Champions Online they run up to you and ask for autographs, here they just say things like "I hope they make a Dr. Amazing action figure" while going about their business.

That shouldn't even touch someone's immersion, never mind break it.

Well, my idea was mainly (I guess this wasn't clear) that the special mode would facilitate RPing in locations where it would not normally be "safe" to do so due to the mechanics of the mere presence of a "hero" triggering attacks from villain mobs.

For example, when I'm out and about, and I see Hellions or Skulls or whomever standing around in little groups, my personal RP is that I don't attack them if they're not committing a crime. I'll actively intervene in purse-snatchings or muggings or attempted kidnappings, where a crime is clearly in progress. But if they're just sitting or standing around? Leave 'em alone. Unless ... they spot me and attack me first. "Get the cape!"

So I was thinking that it might be neat to be able to walk across a parking lot, past a group of gangsters who are currently minding their own business, without automatically being accosted.

In any case, this is mostly a thought experiment.

So I had a thought about this. What if you made a new char that was your "Clark Kent" secret identity? You could make the character look un-heroic/normal. They'd be level one. Skip the tutorial, go right to Atlas or Rogue Isles. It wouldn't matter what powers you had, since you'd probably on have Brawl in your tray (maybe Sprint and Rest).

You would genuinely be "powerless" compared to your hero version. Friends of your hero wouldn't know you're online as your secret identity, which makes sense because they wouldn't actually know who you are. You could /friend closer friends, which would mirror their characters knowing your identity.

Just a thought...