Island Rum and M1 Chip, MacBook Pro, Big Sur, HELP

Voltak

I duplicated your error by attempting to run the "Cityofheroes.exe" file directly from inside the Applications/coh/hc_bin64 folder when testing in my Big Sur Intel-VM. I got your Other errors (the terminal screens) when I didn't allow Xquartz to install or ran the game before allowing it to install.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I have now confirmed that IR will trigger Rosetta 2 to be installed (or you get an error if you decline) and it will also install Xquartz (just prior to the game files) as it does not come on Big Sur. The only new folder I've identified is the hidden //USERNAME/.privatewine and no hints of Homebrew like Manga said. I actually didn't get the one permission that I did the first go 'round when I was using my existing user with Rosetta already installed. The same permission triggered by the HC launcher as well.

Correction: The last permission does seem to trigger when launching the game the first time as expected.

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

14 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

I have now confirmed that IR will trigger Rosetta 2 to be installed (or you get an error if you decline) and it will also install Xquartz (just prior to the game files) as it does not come on Big Sur. The only new folder I've identified is the hidden //USERNAME/.privatewine and no hints of Homebrew like Manga said. I actually didn't get the one permission that I did the first go 'round when I was using my existing user with Rosetta already installed. The same permission triggered by the HC launcher as well.

Correction: The last permission does seem to trigger when launching the game the first time as expected.

OOOOO< 

I Did not read this before 

14 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

I ran Quartz again now.  

Stand by 

***Please make sure you're clipping/covering anything that can identify "You" in the uploaded content to preserve your privacy 

How about this since it's too easy to reveal personal info via video

• Send a screenshot of the apps folder and the utility folder inside that. The purpose being to see if there's something installed that may be messing with the handling of the app itself.
  • Consider the following the "Cleanup Method" I've established until someone more knowledgable corrects me   *coughs*@Manga*coughs*
    • Open "System Preferences"->"Security & Privacy"->"Privacy" Tab
      • Accessibility: highlight and remove (the "-" below the list) the "Island Rum.app" entry
      • Files & Folders:  highlight and remove (the "-" below the list) the "Island Rum.app" entry
    • Delete the hidden //SSD_NAME/Users/USERNAME/.privatewine folder
    • Delete the Applications/Island Rum.app
    • Delete the Applications/coh folder
    • Delete the Applications/Utilities/Xquartz.app
  • Restart the Mac
  • Disable/Pause any extra layers of security and any app running that doesn't need to be
  • Follow the new guide setup by step making sure to give the Mac extra time to complete step (just in case something takes longer to trigger)
  • As you follow it, confirm it matched up or notate Anything you can see on the screen (comment + Screenshot works) including the Dock as things will show down there too. I've noticed the permissions are "fuzzy" in their trigger points if you go too quickly (or some other condition I can't identify), but they should all trigger based on my last test.

8 minutes ago, Voltak said:

OOOOO< 

I Did not read this before 

You beat me to the posting >.<

The WIP guide

Ok, in the guide I've pointed out that you should (not sure why, but we'll go with it for now) quit those three apps at the bottom and restart IR. Clicking Play should trigger the "removable media" permission and the game "should" launch (tiny window the first time).

It's entirely possible that this permission will eventually trigger, but it seems to match with what's required for the HC Launcher as well on the M1.

Sorry, I realized you were sending at the same time, so I paused replying. 😛

So you've

1. Done the cleanup
  2. Started the reinstall
  3. Tried launching game

Is it still failing during the install or was that when you launched the game? Check that the two permissions above are actually there (you can't manually add the second one BTW).

I've added images to the guide again

• Game Master

Any of you having trouble with an M1 Mac and Island Rum, try using the Mac Launcher Installer:

https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/mac-installer.zip

The installer cleans up before install so that it can do its own clean install.  It also attempts to fix permissions issues.  The only thing it doesn't do is it's not signed, so you might have to go to the Security panel and approve it for opening.

Since Homecoming is going to eventually gently herd everyone away from the legacy patchers, it makes more sense to improve and support the Launcher Installer.

Mac expert and designer of Homecoming for Mac.

2 minutes ago, GM Manga said:

Any of you having trouble with an M1 Mac and Island Rum, try using the Mac Launcher Installer:

The installer cleans up before install so that it can do its own clean install.  It also attempts to fix permissions issues.  The only thing it doesn't do is it's not signed, so you might have to go to the Security panel and approve it for opening.

Since Homecoming is going to eventually gently herd everyone away from the legacy patchers, it makes more sense to improve and support the Launcher Installer.

I will do this exactly right now 

15 minutes ago, GM Manga said:

WE MADE LOTS OF PROGRESS !!  

However we are now at this other point 

7C19E2F1-D92D-4826-8CEB-616FD2BBEE00_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.70d02357a04bb6d3a9bf3a468b1ab661.jpeg

OK, now more progress, 
I deleted some other things from the computer (Utilities for Mac Security). 

I emptied the trash bin where the other CoH stuff had been 

Now we are here

Much better 

I don't know what path to write in 

If I try to select, I am given a very odd  halfway unreadable option.  

See for yourself 

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.15.29 PM.png

2 hours ago, GM Manga said:

Heh, the only reason we toyed around here was because they wanted to get IR working, so we did this anyway, knowing that the HC was there. Yeah, this is in the wrong forum grouping, but I left that alone unless someone wanted to move it.

Edited by WanderingAries

2 hours ago, Voltak said:

I will do this exactly right now 

That's the HC Launcher (not the IR you wanted to work with), from the guide you commented on originally. 😛

2 hours ago, GM Manga said:

GM said we should do this 

I was only following that