A question regarding editing Tips article

SuperPlyx

So I am trying to add the missing information to some of the Tips missions. I added the missing villain info to This is how she dies except for the part where it says "Unnecessary Solicitation"...I am unsure what this refers to. Could someone clarify ? 

My first thought was it was the line "You can hear the echoes of voices from deep within the warehouse. You hear a woman arguing with someone else"

which is the popup dialogue when you first enter mission.

But following the template of the part that was already done for the Rogue side ,that line goes in the "Mission Objective"

I would like to do a few more of these but need to figure out where I can get this info ,or what I am missing.

edit to add: Is this the right place for these questions?

Edited by SuperPlyx
  • Like 1

This is definitely the right place for these questions! The 'Unnecessary Solicitation' is the dialog from the contact if you speak to them anytime in between accepting the mission and completing the mission, to the best of my knowledge. I think the idea is that, once you accept the mission, the next time the contact expects to hear from you is after you have completed (or failed, in some cases) the mission, so if you call them in the interim they'll generally say one of two things:

• They'll repeat the 'Mission Acceptance' message verbatim (or close to verbatim)
  • They'll say something along the lines of 'Hurry up or you're gonna fail the mission' (but it'll be tailored to your particular objective for the mission)

Check out Market Crash as an example. The 'Unnecessary Solicitation' for the first mission (Part One) is the same as the 'MIssion Acceptance', but in the second mission (Part Two) she basically tells you to hurry. There may be other examples out there that I haven't seen, because I've only edited a handful of missions myself, so there's a chance that the 'Unnecessary Solicitation' might not fit into one of the two categories I outlined.

• Like 1

Also there is a template for mission briefing info which would probably make the process easier for you.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Template:Mission_Briefing

It includes documentation for what each of the parameters does. I checked out the page you are editing and it looks like you have utilized some templates there so I'll assume you are generally familiar with them. If not just let me know and I can walk you through them. It took me a while to discover templates but once I did it made certain tasks much easier.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Also there is a template for mission briefing info which would probably make the process easier for you.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Template:Mission_Briefing

In this case, since the Tip missions don't have a contact per se, I wouldn't use this template. In the past it has generally only been used for mid-mission dialogues and task npcs, rather than the mission's contact dialogue, otherwise the whole page just fills up with images of their face and links to their own page!

@SuperPlyx The changes you've made so far have been top notch! 👍 Speaking of which, in your addition of Athletic Run to Inherent Powers, you asked about finding the right icon. You can currently find every power icon image in the game on the page Macro Image (Slash Command). They're sorted by filename so it can be a bit tricky to figure out for ones that are named strangely, but it's a great resource, in this case it was Inherent_AthleticRun

Alternatively you can navigate through the Category: Player Powers Icons.

Edited by Aberrant
  • Like 2

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

Thanks for keeping me straight Aberrant, my lack of experience in editing missions is showing! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the great replies! It is a learning process , I do a lot of copy/paste but I am getting familiar with it. 

I never thought to call the contact again....have to look into that. Not sure that will be an option for a tips mission.

And 3 more pages added to my bookmarks 🙂

• Like 2