Paragon Dance Party (PDP)

You know, I was thinking the other day that it kind of makes me sad that this zone has become somewhat forgotten.  While I know that Pocket D "replaced" this zone, I was thinking that this zone could use some love.  How can we utilize this zone and make it a place to go?

1.  Put 1 exploration badge in it so it becomes accessible with LRT (or just have it unlock when Pocket D is opened in LRT automatically)

2.  Put the Paragon Dance Party portal name in the list right below Pocket D in LRT.

3.  People like to host DJ events live in game and stuff, so, why not make this zone more attractive as an alternate gathering place for events?

I don't think this would be a massive work effort, given how recently you added exploration points to places like Khalisti Wharf and the entire LRT power, so, let's show the original party place some love and make it easier to access for people to get to quickly for gatherings and the like.

Thanks for reading!!

• Like 2

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

Origin: Icecomet  (Arc ID 24805), Origin: Icecomet - Chapter 2  (Arc ID 29282), Origin Icecomet - Chapter 3 (Arc ID 39625)

Chapters 4 & 5  (Under development, Coming Soon!)

Well, I know it exists, but I never go there.  Honestly, with Pocket-D and several score player-owned Bars, Clubs, and Pubs, I feel we have more nightclub scene stuff to utilize than I would ever use.  Granted, I use Pocket-D pretty much for Gull the Null, AE, and P2W.  I may use cool-looking player  bars as set pieces to set up heist/contact rp's and the like but, other than that, that's about it.

I suppose you're feeling some strong nostalgia from your live experience here and, though I never played during live, I do get where you're coming from.  Having said that, I would rather have the teams limited time and resources focused on things that the entire player base would find appealing, not just those that played during live.

Still,  apart from pulling time and effort away from more interesting projects, I'm not really against it in any way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grindingsucks said:

Well, I know it exists, but I never go there.  Honestly, with Pocket-D and several score player-owned Bars, Clubs, and Pubs, I feel we have more nightclub scene stuff to utilize than I would ever use.  Granted, I use Pocket-D pretty much for Gull the Null, AE, and P2W.  I may use cool-looking player  bars as set pieces to set up heist/contact rp's and the like but, other than that, that's about it.

I suppose you're feeling some strong nostalgia from your live experience here and, though I never played during live, I do get where you're coming from.  Having said that, I would rather have the teams limited time and resources focused on things that the entire player base would find appealing, not just those that played during live.

Still,  apart from pulling time and effort away from more interesting projects, I'm not really against it in any way.

Hi, thanks for the feedback.  Yeah, I get what you are saying, but as I had stated, given that they just waded through all the code for exploration and LRT stuff, I don't think this would be a massive effort.  And, yeah, there is some nostalgia involved, I played live from launch to close and Pocket D was brought online and it just makes me sad that I never see anybody in this zone when I pass through and I figured if the effort wasn't a lot, it'd be nice to see it made accessible easily with LRT...

Anyway, appreciate the comments...

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

Origin: Icecomet  (Arc ID 24805), Origin: Icecomet - Chapter 2  (Arc ID 29282), Origin Icecomet - Chapter 3 (Arc ID 39625)

Gonna do a cross post, @Icecomet.  Hope that's cool with you, as PDP is a major part of this. 🙂

• Like 2

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

2 minutes ago, Grindingsucks said:

@Darmian  Okay, actually, given the subject of your topic, I could totally get behind a change like this.  I'm all for making the place(s) more interesting by making them very useful to the whole player base.  👍

Thanks.  The post is still semi inchoate, and could use more work, but I'm just (a) looking at how what we have can be leveraged, (b) as @Icecomet says, trying to show people places they might not know, and (c), most importantly, possibly introduce new content into the game.  EASY...ROFL.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

25 minutes ago, Grindingsucks said:

@Darmian  Okay, actually, given the subject of your topic, I could totally get behind a change like this.  I'm all for making the place(s) more interesting by making them very useful to the whole player base.  👍

Absolutely, probably a good percentage of the player base (those that weren't live or the early days) that aren't even aware of this zone at all.  I think the theme and environment really sets a dance club atmosphere a LOT better than PD.  I've never been that crazy about Pocket D when it comes to theme and vibe of how it feels, but PDP has the feeling!

• Like 1

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

And the Rikti Monkey Fight Club!  I mean the real one! (Or one of the real ones, the one in Port Oakes is permanently closed.)

Just now, Apparition said:

Having events in the Paragon Dance Party zone would lock out villains.

Rikti Monkey Fight Club!

17 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Having events in the Paragon Dance Party zone would lock out villains.

If they want to just be villains, sure, but I don't personally know anybody that stays full time villain, go rogue/vigilante and you can go wherever.  I personally have moved all my toons to vigilante (unless there is a reason to go rogue or villain, but I immediately switch back when I am done) so my LRT will take me anywhere in game, anytime.  If you want to not leave villain side, well, all I can say is oh well, that's a choice that is made and ya have to deal with the consequences of it.

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

I have several dedicated alts. ie Golds that never left Praetoria and hit 50, Villains that stay villainous and never soften to Rogue, and Heroes that are , well, Heroic.  But the majority roster of my gang crosses back and forth across the lines pretty well, whether I'm on a tip hunt or just visiting the Gull for stuff. It's an issue that is easily worked around to be honest.

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 1

I don't believe there was ever a Rikti Monkey Fight Club in Port Oakes; the one in Sharkhead has been open since City of Villains Beta, to the best of my recollection.  The building in north Port Oakes just happens to have the same spray paint logo on it, is all.

But it would be interesting if there were a portal between Paragon Dance Party and the Sharkhead Rikti Monkey Fight Club.  Something for Rogues and Vigilantes to pop between Paragon City and the Isles in a jiify.

• Like 1

I get the whole "villains can't get to the PDP, so Pocket D is more active" bit. That said, I wouldn't mind an explore badge down there.

In fact, put a badge by each of the entrances that can combine into Voltron... or maybe just an explore accolade.

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

I don't believe there was ever a Rikti Monkey Fight Club in Port Oakes; the one in Sharkhead has been open since City of Villains Beta, to the best of my recollection.  The building in north Port Oakes just happens to have the same spray paint logo on it, is all.

But it would be interesting if there were a portal between Paragon Dance Party and the Sharkhead Rikti Monkey Fight Club.  Something for Rogues and Vigilantes to pop between Paragon City and the Isles in a jiify.

Well, I personally don't remember being in one in Port Oakes, BUT I've had people argue fiercely with me that there was and they were in it, and I have no proof they're wrong so...there we are 😄

• Thanks 1

• Retired Developer

There's already 'Dance Legend' in Steel Canyon, which I believe is just outside one of the door entrances to it, so people who collect badges know it's there.

People don't really go to PDP for a number of reasons, most of which were fixed with Pocket D (less grungier theme of the warehouse club, more space for chat spam with large crowds, missions, npcs, chalet, and now AE).

If it were to be made more accessible somehow (which is fine) I'm still doubtful as to whether people would go there, as Studio 55 is also just as dead.

While I'd prefer to ask what types of places people would like to socialize in as opposed to what could be done to draw players towards a particular area, if the latter is the goal, then I think you'd need to come up with a reason to incentivize socialization there, beyond just people coming in and out to do missions, farm, or grab a badge.

Player made club bases are also popular (beyond their design) because they can offer rules, privacy and membership that you don't get with a regular area of interest, so that also factors into the equation.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Naomi said:

There's already 'Dance Legend' in Steel Canyon, which I believe is just outside one of the door entrances to it, so people who collect badges know it's there.

People don't really go to PDP for a number of reasons, most of which were fixed with Pocket D (less grungier theme of the warehouse club, more space for chat spam with large crowds, missions, npcs, chalet, and now AE).

If it were to be made more accessible somehow (which is fine) I'm still doubtful as to whether people would go there, as Studio 55 is also just as dead.

While I'd prefer to ask what types of places people would like to socialize in as opposed to what could be done to draw players towards a particular area, if the latter is the goal, then I think you'd need to come up with a reason to incentivize socialization there, beyond just people coming in and out to do missions, farm, or grab a badge.

Player made club bases are also popular (beyond their design) because they can offer rules, privacy and membership that you don't get with a regular area of interest, so that also factors into the equation.

Thanks Naomi for the input, I do appreciate your time.

I suppose based on some of your feedback perhaps the zone would need a slight overhaul and lighten it up a lil and maybe cleanup some of the junk (not completely, so it keeps that vibe it has).  I just thought perhaps it were far more easily accessible with a LRT (and maybe a base portal) to get there, heck even add p2w or some of the other stuff there that is in Pocket D that it would be an alternative 'public' place for when somebody might want to hold a public DJ event or something.  Just hate seeing a zone like this forgotten about is all and as I mentioned, its a bit of nostalgia.  As for Studio 55, well, at least on Everlasting, the lion share of people are on the hero side, our villain and praetorian population is rather low compared to the hero side and I don't think there's much to be done about it.  The villain zones kind of suck, are dingy and depressing looking and the praetorian side while beautiful, doesn't offer a lot of higher level content, but this is an entirely different discussion.

I don't have all the answers, but I was hoping if the effort for a destination point for LRT and base portal (and now, maybe a few of the cleanups mentioned) that it might be more appealing to the masses for public dance events.

Maybe it's a crappy idea, but I thought I'd toss it out here nonetheless because I am told if its not on the forums it'll never have a chance...

Thanks for reading and the feedback, your time is appreciated!

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

7 hours ago, Naomi said:

All valid points 🙂 Thanks for that.  My own suggestion above (still vaguely nebulous as I've said) has literally nothing to do with socialization though, just leveraging these places because frankly, (a) they're cool. and (b) surely it's easier to use a place you already have in the game as opposed to building a new one?

(Ok, I prefer the Rikti Monkey Fight Club to PDP but that's just me!) 

But apart from Seasonal stuff and a thing that ties in to Night Ward, what missions are in Pocket D? No, I'm not counting skiing or the Arena. While I'm in agreement with @Icecomet that PDP (and the rest) need some love, I'm not advocating them as RP/meetup areas at all.  Pocket D and dedicated bases do that pretty well already, as you've pointed out, and people will go to where there's stuff to do, even if it's only visiting Bobcat in Studio 55 for her missions.

Anyhoo.  That's not a critique of your response or the OP, just me hijacking the thread!

10 hours ago, Naomi said:

Well, they know the *badge* is there. How many ever tried the door? At least the bum next to the other three doors (N. Steel, Talos, Indy Port) no longer says "Yeah, it's closed, go away."  (Which was one of the draws of the PDP *and* PD at one point - travel shortcuts.)

Also, Pocket D's big draw is being faction neutral (plus, really, having an arena (though I don't know how much that's used) and the chalet. But part of the reason some RPers *don't* go there is the chat spam - too much to keep up with - and, really, Pocket D having a bit of a "reputation" (deserved or not) of being a place where you go to have embarrassing mistells with a catgirl.

I'd hesitate to use Studio 55 as a comparison, since Goldside population, well... I could form a league of everyone Goldside (not that there's reason to) and still have room to invite 40 more people, most days.

Edit: Actually, I was wrong. The bum doesn't say anything if you CLICK On him, but if you're nearby:

[11:27] [NPC] Bum: Hellooooo! Resting here! No Paragon Dance Party if you didn't notice. Go to Pocket D. Now kindly LEAVE.
[11:29] [NPC] Bum: Would all you ravers just GO AWAY? Dance Party's gone! Go to Pocket D! Find it yourself. What am I, your tour guide?

So there's actual, active *discouragement* to try to go in and check it out and go to Pocket D instead. That should probably be changed.

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

9 minutes ago, Greycat said:

I'd hesitate to use Studio 55 as a comparison,

Odd thing is, Studio 55 feels MORE like a club than Pocket D LOL.

1 hour ago, Darmian said:

Odd thing is, Studio 55 feels MORE like a club than Pocket D LOL.

But PDP feels more like an underground rave or whatever which I thought was the vibe they were pushing with it.  Pocket D just has too much of a polished 'space' look that should be somewhere out in the shadow shard whereas PDP really feels like its a secret dance location in the city.  Again, nostalgia, lol.

PDP has the same potential though, give it the NPC's that PD has (p2w and such).  I wish I was a developer, I'd get into the code and rewrite it and send them code over to the team to check out, but alas, my coding days are long behind me so that's just a pipe dream...

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs: