Goldside is a still a Goldmine

Rejected

Goldside is Best Side. The Wards are my favorite zones. 

I also absolutely love the choices offered at each of the goldside 1-20 arcs. Sure, it's somehing of a magician's choice... you only really choose between Loyalist and Resistance, and it doesn't reallllly shape the landscale for all time to come. You're still just one player in an MMO.  If you choose to arrest a certain masked telepath to deliiver her to Praetor Tillman, she escapes sometime after the mission is complete. The writers need to maintain some continuity, but in the moment, you the player get a lot more agency to decide than any other story arcs.  I realllly want to see that kind of branching choice mechanic made available for AE.

But I'm having a bit of trouble with this statement: 

1 hour ago, RMS33 said:

Paragon City arguably owes its continued existence to the sacrifice of Praetoria

Specifically, how?  did I miss something when I wasn't looking? 

Sure, Praetorian Hamidon was going to munch on Praetoria if Cole hadn't bargained him down.

How's that affect Primal Earth?

If Primal Earth never discovered Praetoria or vice-versa, how would Primals have been affected in any way?

Edited by MTeague
formatting , grammar

If I recall in the various AMAs, after The Battalion was dealt with, say Issue 29 or so, the next big threat would be an Incarnate Praetorian Hamidon.  There would be a new Incarnate only Praetorian zone where you deal with him once and for all.

I have to admit to still being quite estranged from the latest in terms of narrative developments to the overarching lore with the Praetorian Invasion and the fall of Praetoria, so I'm not sure if my perspective is necessarily informed enough to be helpful here . . . but . . . 

Tyrant/Cole is presently incarcerated on Primal Earth.

Praetoria has fallen to their version of Hamidon, but there's a suggestion that there are pockets of humanity and possibly whole cities outside of Praetoria in their dimension.  I keep seeing people post about a "Neo-Tokyo?"

A huge immigration effort to bring Praetorian citizens to Primal Earth was initiated, and a (staggeringly small) camp was established in Kallisti Wharf for those refugees.

Longbow, the Council, and Arachnos have seized Praetorian technology for their own purposes, notably the Menders, Warwalkers, and BCUs respectively.  I -think- it was also established that other factions were now using Praetorian technology, but I can't think of any further specifics.

Beyond those "facts," I've seen a lot of speculation, suggestions, and ideas (particularly from @Darmian, who I'll consider my personal yellowside expert, heh heh).

The future is WIDE OPEN for Homecoming to use (or not use) all sorts of interesting plothooks related to Praetoria's end.  I actually stepped away from City back around 2009/2010; whenever it was that Going Rogue was initially released.  A number of factors contributed to that, but ultimately it means that I haven't yet suffered that Praetoria Fatigue which I've heard so many other people speak about.  Instead, for me, it's more of a Praetoria Barrier, heh.  There's definitely some interesting stuff in there, but I find the agency-stealing writing to be ESPECIALLY egregious with the First Ward content.  It's taken me over a year to get through the first five Contacts in First Ward on my main, and I'm still rather blasé about it.  Clearly some good stuff in there, but written more like Fallout 4, rather than Fallout New Vegas, if you know what I mean.

At the very least, it'll be interesting to see how things get handled, given the limitations and other factors related to development here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

I have to admit to still being quite estranged from the latest in terms of narrative developments to the overarching lore with the Praetorian Invasion and the fall of Praetoria, so I'm not sure if my perspective is necessarily informed enough to be helpful here . . . but . . . 

Tyrant/Cole is presently incarcerated on Primal Earth.

Praetoria has fallen to their version of Hamidon, but there's a suggestion that there are pockets of humanity and possibly whole cities outside of Praetoria in their dimension.  I keep seeing people post about a "Neo-Tokyo?"

A huge immigration effort to bring Praetorian citizens to Primal Earth was initiated, and a (staggeringly small) camp was established in Kallisti Wharf for those refugees.

Longbow, the Council, and Arachnos have seized Praetorian technology for their own purposes, notably the Menders, Warwalkers, and BCUs respectively.  I -think- it was also established that other factions were now using Praetorian technology, but I can't think of any further specifics.

Beyond those "facts," I've seen a lot of speculation, suggestions, and ideas (particularly from @Darmian, who I'll consider my personal yellowside expert, heh heh).

The future is WIDE OPEN for Homecoming to use (or not use) all sorts of interesting plothooks related to Praetoria's end.  I actually stepped away from City back around 2009/2010; whenever it was that Going Rogue was initially released.  A number of factors contributed to that, but ultimately it means that I haven't yet suffered that Praetoria Fatigue which I've heard so many other people speak about.  Instead, for me, it's more of a Praetoria Barrier, heh.  There's definitely some interesting stuff in there, but I find the agency-stealing writing to be ESPECIALLY egregious with the First Ward content.  It's taken me over a year to get through the first five Contacts in First Ward on my main, and I'm still rather blasé about it.  Clearly some good stuff in there, but written more like Fallout 4, rather than Fallout New Vegas, if you know what I mean.

At the very least, it'll be interesting to see how things get handled, given the limitations and other factors related to development here.

There was a level 40-50 gold side zone planned called Neo Tokyo.  It would have been the last pocket of civilized humanity in Asia and shown how things were going against the Praetorian Hamidon there.  Hint: not good.  Then, as I said before, there was an Incarnate gold side zone planned where you finally took the fight to Praetorian Hamidon himself and dealt with him.  However, both the developers and players at the time were hit by Praetoria fatigue, so they decided to take a break from Praetoria after the Magisterium Trial, deal with the Battalion for four or five issues, and then come back and finish the Praetorian story line with Neo Tokyo and the Incarnate Praetorian Hamidon zone.

I'm sad, because I would have loved to have seen Neo Tokyo.

A bunch of Praetorian refugees also settled in Brickstown, not just Kallisti Wharf.  Malta also now has Praetorian technology... Battle Maiden's nanites.  They were meant to become Incarnate level foes with said nanites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

(particularly from @Darmian, who I'll consider my personal yellowside expert, heh heh).

ROFL.  Sure.  What's the pay rate?

• Haha 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

17 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

it was also established that other factions were now using Praetorian technology, but I can't think of any further specifics

The Family got their hands on a fair bit of Resistance tech.  Extremely uncommon to face them, but Family at 40+ use Beam Rifles and Resistance equipment, Capos often armed with the Heavy Barrel rifles and targeting drones while a lot of the Button Men use the old rifles (or lasers).  Also the UPA, the leftovers of the Resistance and IDF defectors, pose a threat, but they have no presence beyond Provost Marchand and The Major's missions.

While never expanded on due to the shutdown, Malta also made a deal with Battle Maiden for her nanotech.  We likely would've seen an incarnate overhaul of Malta to incorperate their newfound technology and connections, especially given the complete destruction of the Knives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I'll cross post this, because there's some nice stuff if you scroll down.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

9 minutes ago, RMS33 said:

AMA Lore 2012 provides more insight into why the Praetoria and Primal Earth are inextricably linked:

People are certainly free to incorporate as much of the AMA Lore digests as they want into their personal headcanon.

Until and unless the HC Devs say that they consider themselves 100% bound to those and intend to treat the unimplemented future lore points as gospel, I will feel completely free to disregard any AMA lore point that I don't like. 

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RMS33 said:

Having a bad day, sir? 😉 You demand specifics, then again state the obvious. Does that number next to your name also entitle you to be dismissive and confrontational?

Welll.... you have a point.

I did my federal taxes tonight, which contributes to the "bad day" aspect, some.  An evening slogging through the IRS Form 1040 instructions, and several schedules and sub-forms does not do wonders for my attitude. But I really can't blame it all on that, though. I chimed in on several other threads without being snippy.

I suppose some of the Lore AMA's just irk me on a "No, that's a horrible direction to go with the story" level.

And i'm ranting at you because.... you made me aware of it. Which is entirely unfair and uncalled for.

I apologize.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'm in agreement with BOTH of you here (how novel!).  Mining the lore AMA for material is obviously a useful thing to do, however I'ver run into more than my fair share of "gatekeeping idiots" who think that these are "prophecies of what must be!"  ...ahem.

COH canon = What's in the game/novels/comics, and that's it. And even those are subject to retcon if HC so decide. And frankly that's a good thing.  Surprises can be wonderful.  The trouble with gatekeeping adherence is there isn't any surprise.

And back to the topic!

• Like 2

I sincerely wish gold side had been a full level 1 to 50....

if this were to happen, however,  some balancing of low level missions needs to be done.  Many of those missions are just 

not soloable by certain arch types, and some are extremely difficult for any archtype.  Needs to be toned down, a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krj12 said:

I sincerely wish gold side had been a full level 1 to 50....

if this were to happen, however,  some balancing of low level missions needs to be done.  Many of those missions are just 

not soloable by certain arch types, and some are extremely difficult for any archtype.  Needs to be toned down, a lot.

With SOs available at level 2, everything gold side should now be soloable except for Masterminds and Stalkers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

With SOs available at level 2, everything gold side should now be soloable except for Masterminds and Stalkers.

I did solo a Nin/Nin stalker through 1-20 praetoria. Even before SO's were available.

Though I did sugar-daddy the HELL out of him with Attuned IO's. Full ATO sets, Panacea, both +3% def uniques, both +Res uniques.

I also mailed him some big inspirations for certain missions. It was not exactly a live-off-the-land character.

I'm more worried about my upcoming Sonic/Sonic corruptor, though. THAT's gonna get rough. Even as a hoverblaster. 

• Like 1

I already had some ideas myself 🙂

Urban Interrogator

30765797_UrbanInterrogator.JPG.d1a29bdc3f51c4b981a7a93729913212.JPG

Urban Warden Commando (Former Resistance)

550287979_UrbanWardenCommando.thumb.JPG.b5137fb64af8f5c5ef1c39003333fff9.JPG

WardenPPDV.thumb.JPG.94189a0f295674c654ea09a7bc665c88.JPG

Hamidon Proof/Hamibuster Tactical Urban Defense Force (UDF)

HamidonProofArmor.JPG.b849ebe4434f0dbfe3c37f0f52c4067c.JPG

As a matter of a fact I am working on a concept storyarc in AE titled "The New Initiative" which involves a Paragon City Police Chief sending you on a mission into a Devouring Earth Overrun Nova Praetoria just before Emperor Cole launches a nuke, and sends you to rescue key people for his "New Initiative to get tough against the 5th Column and The Council" which have plundered Praetorian Tech and are working on creating the enemy group called "UPA" that you will hear about later.

Edited by Panthonca7034
Correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later

It is a Goldmine - I have been exploring that mine through several arcs if anyone is curious enough to try them. 

• Ninjas in the Wind - My latest, it would be a spoiler to explain how it ties in, but it does attempt to explain why the TUNNEL takes you to a fully functional Praetoria in the past and relies on something introduced in the AMA lore.
  • All That Glitters - a 12 arc vigilante series that goes from level 1 - 54 for a vigilante to level with, and explores some of the fallout of all this new praetorian tech in primal earth, expanding upon some in game groups that don't get a ton of airtime - wyvern and the gold brickers. (thread on it linked in my sig)
  • Poilcemen vs. Aliens - is a little looser with the lore, but is about Nictus who are fed up with their leaders failing to take earth after thousands of years and are trying to make their way to Praetoria instead. 
  • When Carnivals Collide - might redo this as the beginning of a series about the fallout of praetorian magic coming to primal earth - sort of a magical parallel to all that glitters. but for now it is a little carnival of light vs carnival of darkness(?) romp with some war and vengeance sprinkled in. 

And if you buy the premise in Ninjas in the Wind, it could let them reuse the existing zones for high level content - sort of like how first ward and night ward are the core same zone separated by dimension.

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Thanks 1

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc