does fire brute need rise of the phoenix?

seihyup kim

Consume is nearly a must.  I have a fire farmer.  The end issues are real.  You could take Cardiac Alpha, But to me that uses an incarnate pick to solve something one power would do.  

My main is a Dark/Dark Brute.  Huge end issues.  It has Dark Consumption (Darks version of Consume) and I did take Cardiac Alpha.  Against very tough opponents uses end drain tactics I need it.  Never except in that situation.  It is very very very handy then.

Again, I run Dark. Darks version of Rise of the Phoenix is very good and I take it.  It is almost never used.  (I play hard, tough stuff and a LOT of it)  Maybe once a week.  Here is the thing, The dam power is incredible, but if I am in something that is killing my main.....I just Rez to get smacked down within a minute.  I have started to Rez and Run, which I HATE.  But there are seriously few options if content is putting down my incarnate Dark/Dark Brute main.

So...maybe?

When playing hard Consume is great. Its not just to regain END.  It is an AOE attack and takes quite a few good sets. On one of my Fire brutes it knocks them down. I personally don't have a fire build without it. Even on the ones that I forget to use it on because of  having 0 END troubles.

Rise of the Phoenix is quite interesting.  The one brute i have it on I slotted a Preventive Medicine Absorb Proc.  I have used it on occasion when returning after a short jaunt and finding I was dead.  Nice little boom later I was back up and running.  The power makes me anxious at funerals now.

If I where to scale them according to how often I use on my main brute

Consume 6

RotP 2

On my alt brute

Consume 10

RotP (don't have it)

An Ounce of Pounce is worth a Pound of Bounce.

If you have an extra power slot and want to save an enhancement slot you can pick up RotP and use is as a mule for preventive medicine similar to lotg mules with just base slot investment. Outside of this, 100% skip. Healing flames is typically going to get 6 slot preventive medicine anyways unless youre a farm-only fiery aura brute which does not need healing flames at all, and so the base slot preventive medicine is best in this case

Currently on fire.

-Consume can be slotted with a knockdown proc

-Consume provides end drain resistance (not just an end refill, it will protect you vs sappers)

-Consume can be used as an aoe attack chain filler, which can be present even in ultra high recharge builds when only using aoe attacks (farming)

-Actually does respectable damage with fury and moreso at the damage cap

-If consume is not slotted for damage enhancement you can even gain more from a fully capped out damage buff with this power than your normally enhanced attacks

-It can be slotted as a proc bomb, but the best procs that are unique, fury of gladiator and Armageddon will be in burn.

-It can be used as an aoe taunt to pull/aggro an extra spawn while jousting out of the spawn during the cast time

-consume can be a set bonus mule with perfect zinger(4 or 6), mocking beratement(6), eradication(3), or obliteration(6). 

-it is fun to cast consume and joust away and run away from the consumed flames that chase you :3

• Like 1

Currently on fire.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:07 PM, DreadShinobi said:

-Consume provides end drain resistance (not just an end refill, it will protect you vs sappers)

just thought that part deserved some extra highlighting lol.

You might need 2 stacks of it up before you're like "sappers lulz bring it", but it's not hard to get enough recharge to get 2 stacks.

Consume, yes, for endurance management.

If this is for fire farming,  Rise of the Phoenix is kind of useless.  Better to take something that helps with stats.

Edited by krj12

Just my .02 but neither consume, nor RotP are worth taking. There's no reason for your tank to need endurance if you slot well, assuming you pursue the accolade powers which boost stamina/recovery. And of course, you'll want to make use of the many procs that give a little extra endurance. But that's just the way I do things. 

Consume is a nice little AoE, and honestly, just one acc/recharge is quite enough should you feel you need it. I never take it, simply because endurance has never been an issue. When you slot with IO sets, they often have end reduction in them, making more stamina unnecessary. Of course, a lot depends on if you're teaming or solo. Solo, you might miss some of the nice team buffs. But even so, with proper forethought, stamina isn't an issue. 

RotP - at the risk of sounding condescending, if you have this power, you need to rethink what you're doing. Why would you be defeated? Live and learn. If you find yourself defeated, there's a reason why it happened. Learn from it and make tweaks in the build to ensure it doesn't happen again. Sometimes, tho, it can't be helped. You're in the deep end and haven't mastered how to swim yet. And that's fine - but taking a power expecting to fall in battle? That just sounds like you've lost before you've started. But that's just me. Some folks like the AoE stun/kb etc, after it fires off. The way I see it, if it killed you once, as a blaster you might get a nuke off and come out of it. But as a brute/tank? What killed you before is just gonna kill you again, most likely. A self rez for a power pick, when you can get return to battle from p2w? Nah. Skip it. 

I never take Rise of the Phoenix.  If I died I made a mistake somewhere and I have the P2W rez if I did.

Consume, however, I always take and slot as a damage power for set bonuses and Procs.  Although I agree with Ukase that you should not need to be spamming Consume to maintain endurance in normal play, it does help against endurance drain and those times where you are going all out without a pause and start running low on end.