Isn’t acrobatic necessary for fire brute?

seihyup kim

Yes, or a KB protection IO, or slotting one of the resist sets is on the 3rd bonus with 3 slots.

And if it's a farm, no.  Proper farms are pure fire, should be no secondary effects at all.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

On 4/28/2021 at 4:01 AM, Outrider_01 said:

Yes, or a KB protection IO, or slotting one of the resist sets is on the 3rd bonus with 3 slots.

And if it's a farm, no.  Proper farms are pure fire, should be no secondary effects at all.

where can i find kb protction?

3 hours ago, seihyup kim said:

Everywhere. Defense IOs. Travel IOs. set bonuses all over. PVP bonuses in at least one spot I am aware of. Resist IOs. Just look?

Off the top of my head:

All the following are special IOs

• Blessing of the Zephyr

As set bonuses

• Gladiator's Armor 
  • Overwhelming Force

If for general play I'd try to obtain 11+ points of protection on a melee character.

hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page is a great source of information.

8 hours ago, seihyup kim said:

Doomguide's list, Gladiator's armor is a good source since you will most likely be 3 slotting for resists at the 3rd bonus and might as well slot a set in Fire Shield and Plasma Shield; gives you 6 and dropping a +4 protection from Karma/Steadfast puts you at 9.  Blessing of the Zephyr alone can use the default of a travel power.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

5 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

If for general play I'd try to obtain 11+ points of protection on a melee character.

4 is plenty (one IO) for general play.

If you're doing specific content that has higher levels of knockback, such as rikti pylons, you can grab the SG base buff for +10 knockback protection for 90 mins for 2 salvage.

Edited by DreadShinobi

Currently on fire.

51 minutes ago, DreadShinobi said:

4 is plenty (one IO) for general play.

If you're doing specific content that has higher levels of knockback, such as rikti pylons, you can grab the SG base buff for +10 knockback protection for 90 mins for 2 salvage.

Since I have a sneaking suspicion @DreadShinobi runs more sets with lack of knockback protection I'd go with 4 and see how that works for you.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Knockback is weird in City of Villains.  It is one of the few cases where a very little protection goes a long way.  Like, almost all the way. 

0 KB Prot = screwed. 

1-3 = similar to 0. 

4 = okay, not bad.

5-11 = real similar to 4 95% time

12+ = golden except vs very singular mechanics that are very very rare

My main is a Dark/Dark Brute (no KB prot)  I slot 1 4pt KB reduction.  He NEVER experiences difficulties in combat.  THis is partly because he flies....all the time.  So in the rare occasions I get KB (it happens) I flip around in the air like a pinwheel.  I do not fall down, stand up, delay attack.  I get a very short penalty then continue my business.  If you are not flying you have to stand up.  That can feel like a long time in some combats. It will feel like forever if you are in a Knockdown "field" like CoT drop.  Because it is hard to get out.  If you are flying you flip once and MOVE.

I have run just a ton of Invulnerability Brutes.  These (almost) never get knocked down.  They have 10 points KB prot.  It feels more solid than 4.  Because sometimes vs almost never is noticeable.  Yet it really is a very small difference.  Danged nice though.  Back Alley Brawler will still put an Invulnerability Brute on his keester in the Lord Recluse Strike Force though.  First time it happened to me I was emotionally crushed.  Then him and his friends also killed most of the team.  That was a looooong time ago and we dont talk about it anymore lol.

Edited by Snarky

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

Knockback is weird in City of Villains.  It is one of the few cases where a very little protection goes a long way.  Like, almost all the way. 

0 KB Prot = screwed. 

1-3 = similar to 0. 

4 = okay, not bad.

5-11 = real similar to 4 95% time

12+ = golden except vs very singular mechanics that are very very rare

I'll comment on this just a bit. Any Knockback under 1 mag is knockup or knockdown (think Knockout Blow, or Earthquake) so 1 KB IO is going to protect you from most of the knock(back, down, up) effects, because it grants so much protection already.

Even the simple Shotgun blasts from skulls/hellions/lost have .67 or so Knockdown, so you're going to be fine.

Look here for a list of all powers that cause knock(down/back/up) and see how may of them at under 4 points.

When you really need more then 4 points is things like fighting Energy Blast (not Energy Melee) enemies, and there aren't a whole lot of those, at least not in large quantities. The Peacebringer PPD come to mind, and if you get really unlucky, Knock(up,down,back) can stack, if multiple attacks land at the same time. But the flip side of that is in order to get full protection from all Knockback, you need 12+ points, sometimes even 20+ points (Hamidon has a mag 18 Knockback power, as do the Mitos)

Generally speaking, 1 IO is enough to cover about 80% of All Knock(up/down/back) powers, 2 IOs might give you protection from about 10%, and the 3rd IO will cover probably another 8%. But that still leaves 2% of knock(up/back/down) in the game that could happen. Looking at that list, "A bomb" has 300 mag Knockback. I'm pretty sure that's the Rikti Bombs exploding during a Rikti raid, but I could be mistaken.

• Like 1

There's a couple other factors related to knock effects.  One is most of the armor sets with a knock protection power also have resistance to those effects.  Second with the prevalence of high or softcapped defense builds you also need to be hit to have the knock effect checked against your protection and resistance.

• Like 1