A Veteran Returns

Paraclete

I'm barely at 40 characters grand total. I know I'm such a slacker lol. 

Only 4 of them are lvl 50. the other 36 are pretty well distributed, some in the 40's, 30's, 20's, 10's, and single digits.

But i deliberately lvl super slow, turning off XP a lot as I go, until I think it's "time" for them to graduate a level.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Paraclete said:

I did consider that I may not be able to keep the exact same names on all of my characters, but thank you for the warning. Maybe for those names that I am not willing to part with, I'll just add a 2.0 or v2 or something at the end of it. Or not. Maybe some other extension. We'll see...

As far as costumes go, I'm not too concerned about it. I'm sure I'll be able to find something close enough to the original. I guess it's mostly about the characters' main look and the look of their powers and accessories, for me. And the names matter, too, but like I said I think I can work around that. It'll be interesting to see how many of the original names I get to keep...

I'm not sure about being on different servers. There are advantages and disadvantages. I'll think about it.

I was thinking more along the lines that it makes it easier upon finding which servers your names are already taken to relocate them until as many as possible (hopefully all if desired) to a common server.  It used to be much harder to move characters between servers than it is on HC.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1

I guess when I go to name my first character, I could check the names of all my heroes to see how many will be accepted, without going all the way through the submission. But I think that comes after character creation--it's like the last step, is it not? So *that* could get tedious. I suppose I could run through a generic character to get to the end and then try each name on each server, etc without completing the process, in order to see which server I will choose.

• Like 1

I've probably re-made about 10 or so of my OG characters, so, I'm happy.  I'd be making more, but I'm on my bi-annual "take a break for a few months and console game" sabbatical from COH, despite having about 6 character ideas rattling around in my head at all times.  Once I am satisified which Outriders-when I can log in, and done doing one full playthrough of Mass Effect Legendary Edition next month, I'll be back.

4 minutes ago, Paraclete said:

I guess when I go to name my first character, I could check the names of all my heroes to see how many will be accepted, without going all the way through the submission. But I think that comes after character creation--it's like the last step, is it not? So *that* could get tedious. I suppose I could run through a generic character to get to the end and then try each name on each server, etc without completing the process, in order to see which server I will choose.

Hmm well do to my own computer issues ... but iirc there's a space at the bottom to check the name accessible at the start of creation without even creating anything.  So with some paper scribbling you can check each name in order of server preference.  Who knows, maybe it won't be an issue.  I only had "trouble" with one and I knew I probably would it had trouble on Live.  But I just added her family name and it took.

• Like 2

Looks like I'll be shooting for Everlasting...

I may try to have at least one character on each server, though, so I can meet more people and potentially spark a likeminded connection.

Edited by Paraclete
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Paraclete said:

Looks like I'll be shooting for Everlasting...

I may try to have at least one character on each server, though, so I can meet more people and potentially spark a likeminded connection.

Sounds like a plan.  Most of my characters are on Everlasting, but I have one 50 each on Excelsior and Indomitable.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I recreated a few of my live toons, but I enjoy my new ones better than my old ones. A lot of things have changed since live, your almost better of starting from scratch anyway.

In any case, welcome home.

• Like 2

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

Yeah well reviving my old characters is a huge part of my motivation for going back! It was an extensive narrowing-down process, from eliminating all my other mmos to trying out all of the powers and combinations of sets, down to the details of costumes and their alts. Then narrowing down my coh characters to the final roster and getting them all on one server. Just as I reached perfection, the game was cancelled.

Edited by Paraclete
  • Like 1

Well think about it a new challenge. A new goal to recreate them all and give you something to work toward, instead of just instant gratification.

Live is dead and gone except in our memories. Embrace the new. Homecoming has given an opportunity to replay the game we all loved. Don’t look at it as the glass half empty, look at it as the glass half full.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

I'm not saying that I won't make some new ones, but remaking the old ones will bring back fond memories and help me to travel back in time. It's also kind of a rescue mission to save the heroes as if they were abandoned in Viet Nam. The archetypes that I made were a reflection of key components within my core personality, reminders of certain principles. I made probably between 50 and 100 characters altogether. These 12 I'm speaking of were the best of the best and I really miss them.

Edited by Paraclete
  • Like 2

Paraclete I think what some others are trying to convey perhaps is that they too felt the drive/need to get their old toons back, maybe not to the degree of dedication you have but still the same general feeling - then once they got in the game again and discovered all of the QoL improvements and fixes and new stuff, well suddenly you want to try new stuff that you did not maybe want to do before.  I personally started off by very obsessively working on recreating my mains.  Then I got into Homecoming and 112 toons later, I can admit that SO MUCH has been added and changed that I am absolutely loving discovering new builds, something I was much less likely to do on live as like most I was committed to playing my mains.

I dunno how to put it into words exactly, but the feeling of playing on Homecoming is just better.  For me, not only is CoX back, it is back in a form that is 'insanely fun' to play (before it was just 'fun').  Here, I'll try to make an analogy.  CoX was like going for a burger and movie, fun and enjoyable.  Homecoming is like Disneyland.  nuff said

So, I think we understand what you are saying about your '12' and we are 100% behind you.  I think others are just popping in here to say "Don't worry, you are going to have fun and a TON to do!"  (Plus we all know the amazing experience you are going to have when you first log back in)  😁

And we're are all here to help you on you goal to get your 12 back!  (plus about 100 or so more, lol)   😉

Edited by KauaiJim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

23 hours ago, Paraclete said:

Hey! I just remembered a 12th character that I want to recreate, a martial artist. I actually had two of them so I need to think about which one I want to bring back...

Dude, the game is back and you have 1,000 character slots per shard.  Renames are free and unlimited.  Transfers are a generous 5 per week.  Double XP is free and unlimited, the market is seeded so IOs are cheap and plentiful. 

I also recreated most of my original characters from live/retail.  The build for my first Energy/Energy Blaster took me years and billions of Inf to finish on live/retail.  The same build on HC took me a few weeks and less than 500M Inf.  In 2 years of playing on HC, I've deleted more characters than I maintained on live/retail in 8 years.  I have to force myself to keeping just 10 per shard (50 -- and I still go over from time to time).

Relax.  Take your time.  Enjoy the ride, don't rush to the destination.  There is no destination but fun

Welcome home.

Edited by Rathulfr
added obligatory "welcome home"
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

15 hours ago, Paraclete said:

Well, I found my screenshots that I had saved. I'm probably going to forego 2 or 3 of the original characters, so I'll plan on just remaking 9 of them.

I'm sure you'll revisit all of them in one form or another; I sure did.  I spent several weeks experimenting with Sentinels as alternative forms of my OG Energy/Energy Blaster (see Sig below). 

My OG Trick Arrow Corruptor has been reimagined as a Tactical Arrow Blaster.  My pre-ED Invuln/Energy Tanker became an Energy/Invuln Brute.  I could keep listing my chars, but I won't bore everyone.

That's the great thing about so many slots, free renames, and quick progression: it offers a lot of freedom to try different ATs and builds as easily as one does with variations of costumes.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Yeah, the three I am letting go were great characters during their time, but I've grown out of them over the last ten years. Like one was a cute little dragon who wreaked havoc with fire, but looking back she wasn't really that cute; I've never really been into dragons in general; and Fire--while spectacular in some ways--is just not my element; my ice controller was my main character at the end. And when I think of fire I think of the smell of burnt flesh, so no thanks! Or houses or forests burning down. Her wings seemed cool at the time, but now they seem too demonic.

So as you can see, I put a lot of thought and details into my creative decisions and forming associations. And while I may end up jumping on the alt-aholic train, I really don't like being too spread out because it takes time away from the mains and slows their progress. I also think of a basketball team which may see potential in everyone, but eventually has to make some necessary cuts.

I will still have one reptile (no wings) who will be my healer. This character has been with me through several different mmos.

• Like 1

• 2 months later

July 30th now. I've had a lot going on lately. I'm planning on taking a gun course before I get the computer, but the computer will be the next thing on my list, and COH. Just checking in, I guess. Been playing CyberPunk on Xbox in the meantime...

• Thumbs Up 1