WARRIORS.... COME OUT TO PLAAAAY.....

OK, so the warriors are getting an update! Very cool. BUT! I found this.

http://www.cityofheroes.ca/game_info/know_your_adversary/top_secret_the_warriors.html

I KNEW I remembered this from somewhere, but I couldn't find it before Piecemeal's thread closed. It's absolutely worth a read.

Especially this.

It turns out that guy was reciting something called the Telegony -- sort of a sequel to Homer's Odyssey -- in the original Doric. As the good Doctor helpfully explained, only two lines of the actual work were known to scholars -- and I'd just handed her another three hundred. So maybe those "dummies with axes" know more than they let on, nu?

We know Odysseus doesn't just traffic magic artifacts, he's an old-school antiquities dealer, and the Warriors are his private club. It seems like they're a little more sophisticated than their image lets on. In addition to preserving ancient combat techniques and what they see as the superior and more honorable cultures of antiquity, they also preserve ancient art and knowledge otherwise lost to time, and don't share it with anyone.

And why should they? They have the discipline to be legendary warriors, to be superior linguists and scholars, they keep honor and dignity alive when nobody else is willing to. Doesn't that make them better, more worthy, than all the lazy idiots who sit around watching television and waiting for so-called heroes to save them? And the fact that they maybe drink a little from something like the well of the furies probably helps with those visions of antique glory and superiority.

They don't just sit around bonfires eating Ancient Greek recipes and reciting lost poetic epics, mourning the world that was lost. But they definitely do that, in addition to killing people with swords and complimenting one another's gains.

TL;DR: The Warriors preserve ancient culture and secrets. They definitely have like, Damascus steel and greek fire and other cool stuff they would never imagine selling to anyone unworthy.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Rugor said:

I wonder how many people know the movie from your title?  God, I'm old.

MOVIES - plural.  There was a sequel.

And how often is it that a character appears in a movie AND the sequel and is dead for the entirety of both films?

(And vampires don't count, because they're UNdead.)

Edited by Ironblade
  • Confused 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

13 hours ago, Rugor said:

I wonder how many people know the movie from your title?  God, I'm old.

Every PUG team I am ever on that runs into a Warrior mission, just after zoning in.

We're all that old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

MOVIES - plural.  There was a sequel.

And how often is it that a character appears in a movie AND the sequel and is dead for the entirety of both films?

(And vampires don't count, because they're UNdead.)

Ok, what sequel?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rugor said:

Ok, what sequel?

Ah, my confusion.  You were talking about the thread title.  I would think most people would get that.

I was looking at the forum name - Vulnavia Phibes - who, as I noted, is in two movies but is dead for the entirety of both movies.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes

Dr. Phibes Rises Again

Both films star Vincent Price.  The first one also had Joseph Cotten and Terry-Thomas.

• Thanks 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 hours ago, Sable Phoenix said:

What is this Warriors update?  Any link to some news about it?

Piecemeal has been working on some changes, and the recent "what to expect for the future" update had some pics of them (not the pic that shows up in the link preview). They were soliciting advice on what the revamped warriors ought to be like in the linked thread, but I missed the chance to submit this cool little tidbit. I feel like it's really important to their vibe and character, and even though it's not in the lore bible or any of the supplementary content I feel the Night Ward and Pandora's box missions with the warriors reflect it.

• Retired Developer

@Cobalt Arachne and I are hard at work behind the scenes making sure this looks presentable.

• Like 4

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

2 hours ago, Piecemeal said:

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes."

This line reminds of Dr. Hubert Farnsworth.

"Sure, everyone is in favor of saving Hitler's brain.  But put it in the body of a great white shark and suddenly you've gone too far!"

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, Rugor said:

I actually talking about this scene.

So soon after I posted this on the other thread.  Sniff.  So awesome.

The only (spiritual) sequel to this was ...

• Like 1