Cryptic / Paragon developers working on Homecoming

Earlier this week, on the Massively Overpowered podcast, Bree said something interesting:

"An unpaid team of amateurs. Maybe they're pros and they're just stealth adding this. That wouldn't surprise me either. Cause I know that goes on in the City of Heroes community, where some of those people are developers, and they do work on games, and they don't want you to know what they're doing on City of Heroes, but that's why we're getting quality content."

It's at 16:50 if you want to jump straight to the quote.

I know what you're going to say. You're going to say "Why does it have to be developers specifically from Cryptic/Paragon?" My response is:

1. We know that a Paragon developer leaked test server code to Leandro.
  2. Having someone who's familiar with the source code would explain why they are to do so much with the game.
  3. I know for a fact that at least one Cryptic developer posts on the Homecoming forums. I remember his non-dev name and have seen it here.
  4. What's more likely? That NCSoft decided to enter into talks with a bunch of people they've never heard of who have a pirated copy of their code? Or that one or more Cryptic/Paragon developers was able to talk with someone they know personally at NCSoft and convince them to ignore the rogue servers hoping it will garner NCSoft some good will?

At this point it appears highly likely that at least one of the Homecoming developers once worked on City of Heroes, either at Cryptic or Paragon Studios.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Bree personally knows, or has at least talked to, the Homecoming developers. If that's not confirmation then what is?

And no. My thread title wasn't "bait." At least not intentionally. I don't gain anything from you reading my thread. I'm not selling anything.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

If there are any former Co* developers here, and they're not speaking up about that, it's best to assume they want their anonymity and privacy and leave them alone, rather than try to ferret them out.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

It's highly probable there's some old devs playing on HC.  It was great of them to leak out the code so their baby didn't just die off and yeah I'm happy to have their expertise aiding the game.  They should remain in the shadows, they're not the heroes we want but the heroes we deserve.  

I would though like to take this moment to stare menacingly at them while asking where's the last 4 incarnate powers and content they promised?  Hopefully that'll scare them into divulging details into making the stuff that was planned happen.  

Thanks to the anonymous ones out there!

Don't care where they came from.

Don't care if their history with the game is as players or prior developers or yes.

I do care that they're doing a fantastic job (from my admittedly biased point of view) here on Homecoming.

I can certainly understand with some of the legal limbos of private servers, perhaps a little bit of cultivated un-curiousness on certain topics is perhaps best.

• Like 2

Protip : Dont talk about Dev Club.

Good chance there is a legal disclaimer signed about leaking internal documents or code, essentially company property of NSOFT. Its like leaking the nudes of your ex-girlfriend, they didn't say you could do it and in the case of COH/V the employee stole something they shouldn't have.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

• City Council

To the premise of this thread: there are not, to my knowledge, any Live devs working on Homecoming. With that being said, I'm going to close this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!