Homecoming Code of Conduct Update - May 13th, 2021

Jimmy

Make it an in character thing too then 😛 Get a freebie from the P2W of a tiny camera that floats over your head, with Paragon News/WSPDR/TPN stencilled across it!  REPRESENT! Be the embedded correspondent in the team! Activating that pops up a STREAMING above your head and off ya go.

I dunno.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I suspect it will be treated like pretty much any other game in existence and in history, where people will be allowed to stream whatever they want in a multiplayer game as long as it abides by the rules and terms of service, like they already do now in CoH.  Expecting every streamer to ask every player that might fall into camera view for the stream if it is ok is well.. basically too much to ask.  Labeling them as 'scummy' for not doing that as Arcane just did is certainly far more directly offensive than someone catching a player who doesn't want to be streamed on the game camera.  I don't remember this outcry regarding recorded Youtube videos of multiplayer CoH the past 15 or so years either.

Edited by JayboH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

Okay, I've been following this thread since my initial reply.  I still don't understand why people object to being streamed, but you do, of course, have a right to decide for yourself what you find offensive.

I must say though, to @Bionic_Flea and anyone else hoping for steamers to politely ask them for permission to stream them, I think you've got to reset your expectations.  The average human on this sad planet doesn't give a tin-shit about preserving your feelings or respecting your privacy.  This is doubly true on the internet.

To be completely honest, I've never seen the appeal of streaming games or watching games, apart from maybe checking out a new title to see if you might want to purchase it (although, my kid binge watches them like it's actual entertainment, or something).

It may just be a generational thing and I've officially entered "Old-Dude-is-Old" phase of my life.  😛

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Triumphant said:

I must say though, to @Bionic_Flea and anyone else hoping for steamers to politely ask them for permission to stream them, I think you've got to reset your expectations.  The average human on this sad planet doesn't give a tin-shit about preserving your feelings or respecting your privacy.  This is doubly true on the internet.

Meh.  I'm old too, married almost 30 years and have adult kids.  I'm used to being disappointed . . . .

Edit:  Oh!  And I don't need them to ask for permission, just a heads-up.  I've seen several people do that on LFG on Excelsior, "Streaming kill most ITF, PST," for example.  That's all I'm asking for.

Edited by Bionic_Flea

• 3 months later
On 8/18/2021 at 11:50 AM, Triumphant said:

To be completely honest, I've never seen the appeal of streaming games or watching games, apart from maybe checking out a new title to see if you might want to purchase it (although, my kid binge watches them like it's actual entertainment, or something).

In a general sense, there is no reason to watch someone that is just streaming a game. And by that, I mean that when a streamer has no interaction with viewers, doesn't talk and doesn't have a camera (or v-tuber || don't ask || ), all they are doing is streaming their game play. Watching something like that has no value other than getting a sneak peek at the title to see if you would maybe want to play it yourself as you noted.

With a slightly wider view of what streaming provides, there is value there. There are streamers out there that provide a lot of gaming content adjacent to the game itself that can enhance the experience. For example, last year when Cyberpunk 2077 released, I did not have a computer that could support play, nor did I have a PS or XBox. Two accomplished streamers that I follow took different spins on the roleplay aspect of the game as the experience unfolded. They elevated the experience beyond what you could get from peering over someone's shoulder as they played the game. One streamer took notice of the absurdity of the flavor text on a weapon mod and rolled with it to influence his character's actions. The other streamer latched onto a relationship with an NPC and used that as their character's motivation in the universe. Both displayed exceptional competency in "playing" the game, but they added their own extra elements to the play through that made it a mercurial experience. It becomes entertainment because it would just be a game if all they did was play the game. 

There are also other streamers that are just technically strong at identifying game mechanics and understanding how to attack the problem to solve it (play it better, faster, etc). It can be an educational experience to see how they go about their business. And depending on the streamer, they might actually talk through their though process to help viewers understand. It can also serve as a check on your assumptions about how you would accomplish things. 

Not all streamers go to those lengths, so you have to find the content creators that provide what you seek. Viewership numbers or buzz on a streamer is not an indicator of quality content unfortunately. 

I often have a stream open on another monitor while I do other things (play my own game, work, whatever). Sometimes it is background noise. Other times I am actively paying attention. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later
  • Widower unfeatured and locked this topic