Claws follow up

Slithershot

This is a very specific question.

I've been thinking about proccing out follow up, cause I've heard a little bit of noise about it.

But here's my question... in your experience, is it worth it? Like, I know it would bump up single target damage pretty decently, but without slotting for recharge and stuff, wouldn't I be losing out on a whole lot of AOE damage in a double stacked FU spin?

And for those who do proc it out, do you slot as many procs as possible and a -res proc, or just a few and try to frankenslot for maximum buff spread elsewhere? 

In my experience, no, it's not worth it to proc out claws beyond the purple proc and one extra or in followup specifically just running a full AT IO set. What you lose from set bonuses has always seemed greater than what you gain in ST damage but I'll admit that my "get off my lawn" way of playing/building characters greatly affects that opinion.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

In my experience, no, it's not worth it to proc out claws beyond the purple proc and one extra or in followup specifically just running a full AT IO set. What you lose from set bonuses has always seemed greater than what you gain in ST damage but I'll admit that my "get off my lawn" way of playing/building characters greatly affects that opinion.

I put procs in everything and I agree with you.  Follow up is a good place for them but the rest of the attacks don't see much improvement.  Even if you load out follow up with procs and no slotted recharge it's still possible to keep it double stacked on a higher recharge build.  It's definitely the best place for the critical strikes ATO proc.  So if you fully proc out follow up that means splitting the ATO set or slotting it elsewhere.  It's a tradeoff.

• Like 1

I'll take the opposite side. Claws can slot a lot of procs, and even the Tanker/Brute version recharges fast.

Go all out on procs, and Shockwave becomes a part of your attack chain. You'd run something like Gloom -> Focus -> Follow Up -> Slash -> Shockwave, I'm guessing.

The lower the local recharge, the higher the chance to proc, so procs are really a lot more efficient with no local recharge at all (and if you go for juicy set bonuses, you likely will have local recharge and neuter your procs).

If you don't like Gloom and aren't so interested in burning through your endurance bar like a madman for maximum DPS, there is a stronger case to be made against procs.

The thumb of rule for procs roughly works the same for just about any (melee?) powerset: you're making a -2x% to -4x% trade off in other areas in order to get +x% damage. The case for procs is the belief "damage > *", or at least that this smaller level of extra damage is worth taking a bigger hit in other areas.

Well, OK, now noticing the question is ONLY about Follow Up. I think it can be worth proccing Follow Up, if you don't need the set bonuses for anything specific. Consider the recharge difference between FU with 95% local recharge and FU with 0% local recharge is going to be maybe 1.4 seconds, assuming Hasten and 70% global recharge. This is big in % because we're talking 3.4s recharge versus 4.8s recharge. But once you consider you're animation-bound more than anything, ehh. You're getting that double-stacked FU spin in either case.

• Like 1

two sided story for me follow up + shockwave though i imagine it depends how easy toons are to build too ToD is a very good proc due to dark not being highly resisted so spare slots would certainly make more of those wellcome i just dont really have any as a fire/claws so not many of those for me

Edited by PainX
  • Like 1

I always proc out my follow-up, and the return on doing so is even better on Tankers than for Scrappers.

I am using it at every opportunity, so anything I can add here gets a lot of mileage. Follow-up actually has pretty desirable stats for procability. As others have mentioned in this thread, even modest global +recharge and Hasten is going to get you double stacked anyhow. 

Personally, I like a couple Winter IOs for baseline dam/acc/end plus a nice slow resist bonus, three damage procs, and then whatever. The whatever could be a Dam/End, or even nothing.  The procs increase output by ~50% baseline compared to just max damage enhanced follow-up.

If you double down on local recharge for follow-up, you are not only limiting the room for procs, but also taking up more animation time in your attack chain with a lower value power, as you are using follow-up more often and it is weaker than it could be. 

In any case, traditional slotting does work fine, but there is nice optimization to be had here.

I don't heavily proc other claws powers other than maybe an extra damage proc if there's room.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

3 minutes ago, Arbegla said:

What about the BU proc?

The BU Proc is the Gaussian's proc that Marshal_General mentioned right above your post. So yes 😃

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper)