Dark/Dark Chaos

Snarky

I switched to a Dark/Dark Blaster as my main from a Dark/Dark Brute about a week ago.  My hair is going to turn white from this crap lol.  It IS fun, but it is a ton of work.  

I play tested quite a few likely Blasters.  I learned a lot.  My favorite by far was Ice/Ice/Ice.  But the character concept won.  Check profile pic.... So, the Blaster incarnation of my Vampire is Dark/Dark.

One stand out thing.  The Dark/Dark is ALWAYS running out of Endurance.  Real similar slotting to the Ice/Ice.  Thankfully the Dark has a PBAoE End Recovery. But you do have to get right up on them for this, and I dont like to get that close....  I carry Blues.  Part of this may be the constant pumping of the Dark sustain by hand.  Which I sometimes neglect to do in the heat of burning crap down.  But even when I diligently work that thing it only seems to help a little.  

I do not know the numbers.  i "think" that Dark/Dark is putting out more hate than Ice/Ice.  The 4 cones is super nice on large spawns when my nukes are down.  Stand back and work the crowd from a safe distance.  4 cones and a decent recharge means rarely not having a cone up.  When I dont Fast Snipe is a filler.  

There have been deaths.  But there has been way more success and fun than I anticipated.  I am still one of the slowest of the cool kids.  Always last to the bosses in the MLTF, etc.  But I am getting better.  And having a Blast.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later
On 6/7/2021 at 1:13 PM, Snarky said:

I switched to a Dark/Dark Blaster as my main from a Dark/Dark Brute about a week ago.  My hair is going to turn white from this crap lol.  It IS fun, but it is a ton of work.  

I play tested quite a few likely Blasters.  I learned a lot.  My favorite by far was Ice/Ice/Ice.  But the character concept won.  Check profile pic.... So, the Blaster incarnation of my Vampire is Dark/Dark.

One stand out thing.  The Dark/Dark is ALWAYS running out of Endurance.  Real similar slotting to the Ice/Ice.  Thankfully the Dark has a PBAoE End Recovery. But you do have to get right up on them for this, and I dont like to get that close....  I carry Blues.  Part of this may be the constant pumping of the Dark sustain by hand.  Which I sometimes neglect to do in the heat of burning crap down.  But even when I diligently work that thing it only seems to help a little.  

I do not know the numbers.  i "think" that Dark/Dark is putting out more hate than Ice/Ice.  The 4 cones is super nice on large spawns when my nukes are down.  Stand back and work the crowd from a safe distance.  4 cones and a decent recharge means rarely not having a cone up.  When I dont Fast Snipe is a filler.  

There have been deaths.  But there has been way more success and fun than I anticipated.  I am still one of the slowest of the cool kids.  Always last to the bosses in the MLTF, etc.  But I am getting better.  And having a Blast.

Nasty piece of work, Dark, Dark anything.

Particularly so on blaster.  That mix of blast and blap.  Painful stuff.

L14.  

Stamina.  Double end red' all attacks over 10.  At least one SO end red under 10.  Depending.  And they're still pricey to use.  So efficiency of attack is key.  The DoT toggle?  Also x2 End Red' on SOs.

The Dark Torrent Cone is nice and strategic.  Will stack nicely with tentacles and Smack Fu's AoE.  Got the snipe.  Will try it out on Frost Fire.

Azrael.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 1:13 PM, Snarky said:

Have you looked at Touch of the Beyond ?

Because I only have 1 slot in health and the standard 3 in stamina with a Pshifter but i run Tough/weave/Dark Embrace with no issues and without needing to use Dark Consumption.

All i have is a Numina +Regen/+Recovery in Touch of the Beyond and one cast is more than enough to keep me going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chelsea Rorec said:

Have you looked at Touch of the Beyond ?

Because I only have 1 slot in health and the standard 3 in stamina with a Pshifter but i run Tough/weave/Dark Embrace with no issues and without needing to use Dark Consumption.

All i have is a Numina +Regen/+Recovery in Touch of the Beyond and one cast is more than enough to keep me going.

Touch of the Beyond.  Slotted mine with SO of acc/heal/end mod so far.  No issues so far.  Even before Touch of the Beyond.  (Which is quite nice.  - to hit 10% to start with.)

I'll try fitting a Numina Unique in it.

Careful placement of end reduction in thirsty powers with damage SOs on the backburner (only 1 SO dam in a few powers...) and 1 slot Stamina so far. 

Dark Dark is end hungry.  But there are ways of managing as you note.

Azrael.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PluckySidekick said:

If you're curious, both Snarky and I have builds up in different places if you search our histories in the blaster forums.

Glad to see more people giving Dark/Dark a go.

Have fun out there!

I'm curious.  Gooawwwn.  Be a devil.

Post it here?

HC search function always throws up randomness for me.

Azrael.

Back to Dark/Dark Blaster.

Currently L27.  It's very Bad Az.

Range.  Blap.  Control.  AoE.  Bone crunching Single Target.  You can beat the 'Smite' out of them. 😛  And that Snipe...they'll be Moonbeamed onto the Moon.

Devastating to Mobs and Bosses.

That -to hit comes in handy.  Coupled with some fledgling defence.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael
  • Like 1

Honestly I kind of grew out of this.  I use a Beam Rifle /Temporal on aReally Hard Way Magisterium runs.  I am sliding into a Dark/Dark Corruptor.  Not as much damage but a lot of utility.   I do have to play more PBAoE on the Corruptor…..which might lead me back to the blaster since that is what i did not like about the Dark/Dark there.  

On 5/12/2022 at 7:17 AM, Golden Azrael said:

'I'm 37, I'm not old.'  Monty Python mud packer and one of the downtrodden imperial collective.

Azrael.

"Well I can't just call you 'man'

You could say 'Dennis'.  

I didn't know you were called Dennis.

Well you didn't bother to find out, did you?"

Love Python, love the Grail...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

• 3 months later
15 hours ago, drgantz said:

From the comments, it appears that dark/dark is good but tricky.  I'm guessing that it is great if you  play and build it well, but that is difficult.

I'll say this about Dark Manipulation.  Similar to Mental Manipulation it is a set of extremes, great and famine so to speak. 

If one builds for Perma-Soul_Drain and plays a lot of +x/8 then no other Blaster can match the DMG output of /Dark.  If one is soloing an AV or Pylon then its probably going to come out on the bottom end, although it still has really good attacks.  But c'mon in the end ,do Blaster's have any bad secondaries?

IMO /Dark is top tier, because I am a blapper that plays everything at +4/8.  But one has to get up close and personal to reach the  maximum potential of the set.