Cross Punch - Can it be looked at ? Not hitting many Enemies

Been using Cross Punch and it is a miracle if I hit more than 2 targets.  I've playing and looking at it for some months now it just is not hitting many targets.. 

Maybe the cone is too narrow ?
I almost have to walk backwards a few steps to try line up the mobs to get them in the cone. But again it pretty much 2 max.. 

Getting 3 is like a "Did you see that" moment. But it seems like it can hit up to 5, which I find IMPOSSIBLE..  Even on gray con mobs that don't run this isn't happening.. 

would generally say that a lot of cone attacks feel awful to hit multiple targets with... and especially so with melee cones.  i would caution that if you take a look here for cross punch, it should probably follow that a lot of very similar skills would want the same treatment.  jacob's ladder in electrical melee, proton sweep in radiation melee, shatter in war mace... to name a few.

that said, cross punch is surprisingly just a good attack (when fully synergized) regardless of multi-hit and also the bonus +to hit and +recharge both scale off the quantity of enemies hit.  being able to (reliably) hit 5 targets would net a pretty massive to hit and recharge bonus compared to its current iteration.  maybe it is 'intended' to be a functionally terrible cone.

• Like 1

It's actually a great power if you take both kick and boxing. Best to think of it as a ST attack. I take it on almost every melee character I have.

Edited by America's Angel

My Stuff:

fite.gif.ce19610126405e6ea9b52b4cfa50e02b.gif Fightclub PvP Discord (Melee PvP tournaments, builds, and beta testing)

Clipboard01.gif.9d6ba27a7be03b73a450be0965263fd2.gif Influence Farming Guide (General guide to farming, with maps and builds)

2 hours ago, plainguy said:

Getting 3 is like a "Did you see that" moment. But it seems like it can hit up to 5, which I find IMPOSSIBLE..  Even on gray con mobs that don't run this isn't happening.. 

I use /powexec_location self Wormhole on my Grav/TA controller, queue Sands of Mu while Wormhole is animating and achieve full target saturation (five critters in the cone) every time, and Sands has a narrower cone than Cross Punch.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

46 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

It's actually a great power if you take both kick and boxing. Best to think of it as a ST attack. I take it on almost every melee character I have.

This is what I keep hearing. I only have it on one little controller. Thinking it sounds like I need to work it into my next melee. 

Do you always load it with procs (FF/FotG/damages) or is it better with damage enhanced? Think my elec/poison just had avalanches in it because melee defense is hard to find.

Edited by arcane

1 hour ago, arcane said:

This is what I keep hearing. I only have it on one little controller. Thinking it sounds like I need to work it into my next melee. 

Do you always load it with procs (FF/FotG/damages) or is it better with damage enhanced? Think my elec/poison just had avalanches in it because melee defense is hard to find.

It depends on the set. But I've done all of the following:

5xArmageddon + FOTG

5xDamProcs + FOTG

Dam IO + 4 procs + FOTG

53nuc+ 53acc/dam/endWO + 4procs + FOTG

Cross Punch is a blank canvas that can be adapted to fit your needs. And is a perfect example of just how much freedom procs give to players to build characters differently.

My Stuff:

fite.gif.ce19610126405e6ea9b52b4cfa50e02b.gif Fightclub PvP Discord (Melee PvP tournaments, builds, and beta testing)

Clipboard01.gif.9d6ba27a7be03b73a450be0965263fd2.gif Influence Farming Guide (General guide to farming, with maps and builds)

13 hours ago, Luminara said:

I use /powexec_location self Wormhole on my Grav/TA controller, queue Sands of Mu while Wormhole is animating and achieve full target saturation (five critters in the cone) every time, and Sands has a narrower cone than Cross Punch.

I have no issue posting pics or videos.. 
I just respeced out of it but can jump on test and redo the old build. 

I've been trying to line this up for a while with no luck. 

I wouldn't mind seeing some screen shots myself to see what I might be doing wrong..

On 7/3/2021 at 2:01 PM, America's Angel said:

It depends on the set. But I've done all of the following:

5xArmageddon + FOTG

5xDamProcs + FOTG

Dam IO + 4 procs + FOTG

53nuc+ 53acc/dam/endWO + 4procs + FOTG

Cross Punch is a blank canvas that can be adapted to fit your needs. And is a perfect example of just how much freedom procs give to players to build characters differently.

I’ve been messing with numbers all weekend and trying to understand what makes Cross Punch stand out. Because the DPA is still just “medium” after Boxing + Kick by my calculations, and it’s a power slot hog. And those little buffs it comes with are so tiny.

So my best guess is this: it’s good for PvP / AV’s / pylons specifically because it puts the FotG proc in your single target chain as opposed to a real AoE.

Likewise Laser Beam Eyes has even more “meh” numbers, but I’m guessing it’s all about the Achilles’ Heel.

Are my assumptions about right here? Trying to evaluate here if I really wanna focus all my best procs on S/T on my latest tanker.

On 7/4/2021 at 1:55 AM, plainguy said:

I have no issue posting pics or videos.. 
I just respeced out of it but can jump on test and redo the old build. 

I've been trying to line this up for a while with no luck. 

I wouldn't mind seeing some screen shots myself to see what I might be doing wrong..

It's Wormhole doing the work for my Grav/TA.  Even though critters aren't supposed to overlap, for a brief moment, they do when they're teleported as a group and dropped at the reticle.

screenshot_210705-18-59-18.thumb.jpg.be612ddb7c2b635f83f684b938939d1b.jpg

In this shot, I'm hitting one well outside the range of melee attacks.  That's Wormhole in action.  Sands of Mu is queued before Wormhole's animation is complete, and it activates before the critter models are even fully visible after Wormhole's teleport moves them.  They stack, my cone hits the melee cone limit and then the spawn spreads out to a normally spaced distribution, but they're still taking damage from Sands.

Should work similarly with Fold Space.  Can't say for certain, though, haven't taken that power on any character (yet).

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

It's Wormhole doing the work for my Grav/TA.  Even though critters aren't supposed to overlap, for a brief moment, they do when they're teleported as a group and dropped at the reticle.

screenshot_210705-18-59-18.thumb.jpg.be612ddb7c2b635f83f684b938939d1b.jpg

In this shot, I'm hitting one well outside the range of melee attacks.  That's Wormhole in action.  Sands of Mu is queued before Wormhole's animation is complete, and it activates before the critter models are even fully visible after Wormhole's teleport moves them.  They stack, my cone hits the melee cone limit and then the spawn spreads out to a normally spaced distribution, but they're still taking damage from Sands.

Should work similarly with Fold Space.  Can't say for certain, though, haven't taken that power on any character (yet).

Unfortunately I can't work Fold Space into the build.  But I might respec back into it as even I didn't look well at my old build vs the new build.. 

8 hours ago, arcane said:

I’ve been messing with numbers all weekend and trying to understand what makes Cross Punch stand out. Because the DPA is still just “medium” after Boxing + Kick by my calculations, and it’s a power slot hog. And those little buffs it comes with are so tiny.

So my best guess is this: it’s good for PvP / AV’s / pylons specifically because it puts the FotG proc in your single target chain as opposed to a real AoE.

Likewise Laser Beam Eyes has even more “meh” numbers, but I’m guessing it’s all about the Achilles’ Heel.

Are my assumptions about right here? Trying to evaluate here if I really wanna focus all my best procs on S/T on my latest tanker.

Yeah I pretty much use primarily as a source of -res vs hard targets. The damage (even when loaded up with procs and with boxing+kick) is pretty middling. But with a 47% proc rate, if I'm landing it twice within a 10s window, that's a permanent 20% -res vs hard targets like AVs and other players in PvP. This is not only an indirect damage boost to Cross Punch, but also to all my other attack as well.

My Stuff:

On 7/5/2021 at 9:56 AM, arcane said:

It's stronger than many t1 and t2, if you take both kick and punch. Compare it to jab, punch and stone mallet, for example.

Well I’m loving the power now. I’m also experimenting with switching over to building new characters around amplifiers. I used to avoid them, but you can fit in even more procs when you’ve got that extra boost making up for relatively few set bonuses. So I’ve got this new Dark/Psi/Soul Vigor proc monster with this single target attack chain:

Cross Punch:

Armageddon: Damage

Armageddon: Proc

Fury of the Gladiator: Proc

Obliteration: Proc

Eradication: Proc

Force Feedback: Proc

Gloom:

Superior Winter’s Bite: Acc/Dam

Superior Winter’s Bite: Acc/Dam/End

Apocalypse: Damage

Apocalypse: Proc

Gladiator’s Javelin: Proc

Cloud Senses: Proc

Telekinetic Blow:

Gladiator’s Strike: Proc

Mako’s Bite: Proc

Touch of Death: Proc

Perfect Zinger: Proc

Explosive Strike: Proc

Force Feedback: Proc

Greater Psi Blade:

Superior Might of the Tanker: Acc/Dam

Superior Might of the Tanker: Rech/Proc

Hecatomb: Damage

Hecatomb: Proc

Touch of Death: Proc

Unbreakable Constraint: Proc

Frankly I’ve never put so much thought into a tight single target chain because I don’t have Mids so all the calculations are done manually. But I put in the effort to fiddle with this one and it’s pretty neat 🙂

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1