Looking for the Optimal Controller Combo

00Troy00

I'm new to controllers, but want to go into it with some knowledge from those that's come before me. 

What is the most effective Primary/Secondary combo these days (and if there isn't  a clear-cut winner, what would make up the top 3)?

Depends on who you ask and there is clearly not an answer to this. It depends.

My thoughts (only personal opinion)

Single Target: Ill/Dark

Aoe: Plant/Storm

Support (even on low level): Plant/Elec

but there are many, many more and it depends on your playstyle. Those that I mentioned fit my playstyle.

Yeah, depends what you mean by "effective". Plant is good for aoe damage, control, and even support with a regen patch, but it's not top tier for ST damage. Illu is good for support and agro management with group invis and Phantom Army, and even has a hard-hitting ST attack, but it's not so great at locking foes down. Grav is great for ST damage, but is an otherwise standard control set.

And that's not even touching on the secondaries.

Basically, tell us WHAT you want to be "most effective" at, because I don't think that any one combo will be a clear winner in every category.

• Like 1

Not to cleave the horse carcass in two, but the answer to the question will vary depending on what you actually want to do with it.  If you want to solo everything from 0 to 50, then Plant/X or Ill/X would do the trick, where X is /Dark, /Rad, or /Time.  If you're looking to just control the heck out of everything, then Earth/X may be your bag, where X is /Time, /Poison, or /Trick Arrow.   If your goal is to be a useless XP leech for 25 levels then spend the next 25 levels becoming more awesome than anything else in the game, then Grav/Storm might be for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Like others said, there's no right answer here, but Plant/Kin/Earth probably qualifies. 

2 hours ago, roleki said:

If your goal is to be a useless XP leech for 25 levels then spend the next 25 levels becoming more awesome than anything else in the game, then Grav/Storm might be for you.

I think that role might be outclassed by Mind/Storm. 😄 I don't think there's any feeling of greater sadness than running Mind/Storm on Penny Yin Task Force (level 25).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, roleki said:

Not to cleave the horse carcass in two, but the answer to the question will vary depending on what you actually want to do with it.  If you want to solo everything from 0 to 50, then Plant/X or Ill/X would do the trick, where X is /Dark, /Rad, or /Time.  If you're looking to just control the heck out of everything, then Earth/X may be your bag, where X is /Time, /Poison, or /Trick Arrow.   If your goal is to be a useless XP leech for 25 levels then spend the next 25 levels becoming more awesome than anything else in the game, then Grav/Storm might be for you.

Do you by chance have such a grav/storm build or know where I can find one?

9 hours ago, 00Troy00 said:

I do!  I'll post mine when I'm done with this whole "work" circus.

9 hours ago, rockroom said:

I wouldn't mind one ether been wanting a grav/storm for a long time.. but unsure if I should build for range def or S/L def

I think it's really down to preference/how you run it.  If I were building a Grav/Storm and angling for durability, I would focus on loading up Ranged defense (since Hurricane has you covered in melee with a -30% ToHit debuff). 

I don't have the exact build in front of me, but on my Grav/Storm I opted for +Recharge and +End above anything else; I typically do not take a lot of alpha/damage because, between Wormhole, Hurricane, and Singularity, I get to dictate what I'm fighting, where.  Between Gale, Lightning Storm, Tornado, Freezing Rain, and Fissure, almost everything I'm fighting is too busy getting knocked on their butts to do much offensively.  Top that off with Thunderclap stacking a 2 Mag stun with the 3 Mag stun out of Wormhole, and there's never much incoming fire.  That said, occasionally a blind Wormhole *will* notify the targets it missed, and if my back is to the direction from which I yanked the mob, I can have stuff sneak up on me and attempt to start a beating.  

Man.  Grav/Storm is just a lot of fun when it's all growed up.

20 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Like others said, there's no right answer here, but Plant/Kin/Earth probably qualifies. 

I think that role might be outclassed by Mind/Storm. 😄 I don't think there's any feeling of greater sadness than running Mind/Storm on Penny Yin Task Force (level 25).

I've always wondered how a Mind/Storm would work, even at 50.  My Mind/Poison and Mind/Traps fellows lean on Mass Hypnosis a LOT, but somehow I think Lightning Storm/Tornado would break sleep pretty quick; I assume Gale and Freezing Rain do the honors here?

1 hour ago, roleki said:

I've always wondered how a Mind/Storm would work, even at 50.  My Mind/Poison and Mind/Traps fellows lean on Mass Hypnosis a LOT, but somehow I think Lightning Storm/Tornado would break sleep pretty quick; I assume Gale and Freezing Rain do the honors here?

It might work with the Earth APP. Maybe. Thunderclap + Fissure has a reasonable chance to Stun lieutenants and bosses. It honestly just sounds very painful to me though.

Way way back in the day I used to main a Mind/Cold. This is before I valued soloing anything. I've changed as a person since those days. 🙂

As others have said, it depends on what you want out of the char.  If you are looking to solo, there is a very different set of powerset combos than if you are looking to lock everything down but not so worried about DPSing on your own.  Most controllers can be made to solo, but some really shine at it - while others make life for their team a breeze no matter the difficulty. 

For solo, Plant/Storm, Fire/Dark, and Fire/Storm have great dps as well as plenty of control.  To pwn on a team, Plant/Nature, Earth/Nature, Earth/TA, Earth/Storm, Earth/Time, Earth/Traps, Fire/Rad, Ice/Rad, anything/Storm, most things/Time will all do the trick. (I really like /Storm for controller - it's very  versatile in my hands).  Illusion is a very different beast from most controllers, but is also very effective in mitigating damage and can do great single target damage.  It's a bit more hectic to try and dps groups of bad guys.  Things I would avoid till later are /Cold Dom, /Thermal, /Empathy, /FF, /Sonic.  All of those can be made to work, but are going to take some nuance with control, that would be easier to learn on different powersets first.

17 hours ago, 00Troy00 said:

Here's what I did with Grav/Storm; usually sitting at 278 Recharge in combat, and if I'm paying attention can squeeze out 3x Lightning Storm at a time, for a few seconds.  Not much in the way of +Def or +Res, but, it does a job.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Rainiac: Level 50 Technology Controller
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Stone Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Lift -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(48), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), Dcm-Build%(50)
Level 1: Gale -- FrcFdb-Acc/KB(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(7), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(7)
Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(9), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(9), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(11), Dvs-Hold%(13)
Level 4: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 6: Propel -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(31), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(42)
Level 8: Crushing Field -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(13), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(15), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), PstBls-Dam%(17)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(11), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23), GldArm-3defTpProc(25)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Ann-ResDeb%(23)
Level 18: Gravity Distortion Field -- UnbCns-Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(19), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(19), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(21), UnbCns-Dam%(21)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(40)
Level 22: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--Build%(43)
Level 24: Snow Storm -- ImpSwf-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(A), ImpSwf-Dam%(25)
Level 26: Wormhole -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(27), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(27), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(29), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(29), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(31)
Level 28: Thunder Clap -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(43), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(46), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(48), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(50)
Level 30: Hurricane -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Singularity -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpStr-Dam%(34), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(34)
Level 35: Tornado -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(36), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(37)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Acc/Rchg(39), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(40), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(40)
Level 41: Fissure -- FrcFdb-Acc/KB(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(42), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(42)
Level 44: Seismic Smash -- Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Dam%(45), TchofDth-Dam%(45), Mk'Bit-Dam%(45), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(46), NrnSht-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(3), Prv-Absorb%(5)
Level 2: Stamina -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(3), PrfShf-End%(5)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Cardiac Total Core Revamp 
Level 50: Ion Total Core Judgement 
Level 50: Warworks Total Core Improved Ally 
Level 50: Clarion Partial Core Invocation 
Level 50: Control Total Core Graft 
Level 50: Reactive Total Core Conversion 
------------

Controllers are the most varied AT in the game, as neither primary nor secondary powersets are focused on damage.

There is no "best" controller, but there are some "best" power combos depending what you want to do.

My personal favorite controller is Illusion/Radiation.  The +Recharge in Accelerate Metabolism makes perma-PA easier, and the debuffs help Phantom Army hit better and harder (PA can't be buffed, so the only way to make them better is debuffs).  Ill/Rad is very flexible -- great solo, great on small and large teams, and does not conflict with other Controllers or Dominators.  Ill/Time is the only other secondary choice with +Recharge and debuffs to help PA be better.  However, Illusion pairs up with almost every other secondary that has either + Recharge or foe debuffs.  Back on Live, I had 50s of Illusion with Rad, Time, Cold, TA, Storm and probably a few more.

Fire/Kin is probably the best for AoE damage, but expect to be in melee and you'll likely faceplant a lot.  A team of Fire/Rads can wipe out missions in record times - the synergy of Hot Feet and Choking Cloud is great.
Earth Control is the best ranged AoE control set with THREE great ranged AoE control combos (Stalagmites + Stone Cages, Earthquake, Volcanic Gasses).  Add Quicksand to each of these for a large Slow and large Defense Debuff.  However, it is low on damage generally -- the pet helps a lot.  Rad and Storm work well with it, but lots of other combos are great, too.

Gravity Control is probably the best single target damage with four single target attacks.  It also has the best Controller Pet.  I really like Grav/Storm, as Crushing Field has no -knockdown, turning Freezing Rain into a knockdown field.  Storm has some AoE control that Grav lacks.  TA is a good secondary, too.

Mind Control probably has the second best single target damage, and the second best ranged AoE control.  No pet, but a strong ranged AoE confuse power instead.  It pairs well with ANY secondary -- Mind starts off with pretty good damage, but drops off when other controllers get their pets to increase damage, so a secondary with damage is nice.

Ice and Electric are probably the two lowest damage primaries for Controllers, Both sets have nice control powers good for certain teams.  Depending on your power choices, Ice can be ranged or melee.  A melee Ice/Rad controller can use Arctic Air and Choking Cloud to be very effective.  I find Electric Control best for small team-ups, as its best control power is a Sleep Patch - large teams tend to make the power nearly useless.  However, an Electric Controller with a single target scrapper as a duo? that can be a lot of fun.

Edited by Area Man
  • Like 2

Dark/Dark/Leviathan is worth a strong look too. Dark/Dark starts strong and just  gets stronger and stronger. The synergies in the build are very effective, and a lot of fun.

I’ve played a lot of Controller and Dominator builds, and Dark/Dark/Lev is just brokenly powerful because of all the stacking -Tohit. Your staple opening is Fade for you, team, Umbral  (Ms O’Leary) and Dark Servant (Fluffy). Fearsome Stare (slot for -tohit and rech) which is easily permanent with just SOs. Drop Darkest Night on the boss, immob  the whole spawn with Living shadows and let your 4-6 pets (Ms O’Leary, Fluffy, spook 1 and spook 2 + Waterspout and sometimes Coralax) tear things up while you spam LS and the leviathan cone attack, keep FS and Tar patch up and keep Lts confused.

Single hard target you can put out impressive damage while crippling their regen with HT and TG. Stacking all pets and Arcane blast with your ST attacks adds up very fast.

Soul absorption makes you a dynamo on large spawns, totally eliminates downtime and pairs very well with all the -tohit. 

I rarely need to use any AOE hold/stun, so that’s all reserve in case there are adds or pets trigger a nearby spawn.

Since mid 30s I could run +2/6 spawns with nothing but SOs. when I’m playing well it feels like I almost can’t die, with both Fluffy (who also spams AOE heal) and Ms O’Leary putting out aoe -tohit with me and occasionally confusing straggler and problem mobs… so many tools. And as many pets as a MM when everything is out. Waterspout is a gem.

Just starting to collect IO sets, and while my Fire/Storm (Lavan) puts out more AOE dmg, My Dark/Dark (Shadowfallen) can handle huge spawns much more reliably without any def set bonuses, and is just more versatile. 🙂

Edited by Argentae
  • Like 1