auto follow in background

presto2112

If you are using the homecoming launcher,  click the gear icon on the top right for settings then click the homecoming tab on the left of the settings window.  In the box 'extra launch parameters'  type in 

-maxinactivefps 15

This will run the inactive screen at 15 frames and help with some of the lag.  You can go lower then 15 but if you go really low then the second character will start to skip around instead of animating smoothly.  Also whenever you switch what screen is active it will automatically switch which one is running at full frames and 15 frames.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

are there other settings I can look at?

the second account will kinda run a little then just stand there. if i tab over and that window has focus it will start running toward the follow target

i checked using /maxInactiveFps in-game and it reported 15. I tried 20 and 30 but still has same behavior.

Also, how's your Internet connection?

What kind and who is your ISP?

Are you wired, or on wifi?

Just askin':  Most of my issues running CoH stem from effing Verizon Wireless. And that can definitely include slideshow mode, even with just one instance.

Good luck in any event!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Not the greatest card in the world, but certainly well capable of running CoH at Ultra quality.

ISP looks good. Is your local wifi crowded? I have seen some severely lagged wifi when I lived in the city.

If you can run an Ethernet cable to your router, you can eliminate that issue. Are you running a heavy-handed security suite, perhaps? Something like Trend Micro, that's know to be a piggish package?

Good luck, I hope someone else has a better idea to help you.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 8/7/2021 at 6:45 PM, presto2112 said:

i checked using /maxInactiveFps in-game and it reported 15. I tried 20 and 30 but still has same behavior.

This may be because you're asking too much rather than too little. I'd try /maxinactivefps 5, just to see.

With that setting, I run 3 accounts on a laptop with a GTX 660M and 6 gigs of ram, without adjusting my graphic settings (which are roughly around "High"). I'm doing that on a mobile phone hotspot. The main window is reliably at 60 FPS, the other two follow without struggle.

Another thing to try... Are you running in windowed mode? Or fullscreen? If on fullscreen, perhaps your computer is reserving most of the resources for the fullscreen window? I'm running with windowed mode personally (makes it much faster to tab between accounts).

4 hours ago, presto2112 said:

nvidia geforce gtx 1650

https://www.wowway.com/

wifi

I have the same card, actually. And I can run three accounts easily. But, although I have wireless (router is literally 4 feet away) I use cat-5 cable. I have U-verse for my connection which is fairly reliable. 

However, while I can run 1 account on ultra...running three seems to give me issues, like the gamma setting. The other two go darker, and it's annoying. So, I just go with my settings on performance. I ran my account on ultra, and looked at the effects, and I honestly see no change between ultra and performance - unless I use Cel Shading. And using Cel Shading ..I can't get into it. Makes everything look like a comic book instead of real. I want the spandex to look like patent leather, not colored lightbulb in the shape of a body. But, that's just me. 

I am currently getting just shy of 60 fps with the three accounts running now. 

On 8/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, nihilii said:

This may be because you're asking too much rather than too little. I'd try /maxinactivefps 5, just to see.

With that setting, I run 3 accounts on a laptop with a GTX 660M and 6 gigs of ram, without adjusting my graphic settings (which are roughly around "High"). I'm doing that on a mobile phone hotspot. The main window is reliably at 60 FPS, the other two follow without struggle.

Another thing to try... Are you running in windowed mode? Or fullscreen? If on fullscreen, perhaps your computer is reserving most of the resources for the fullscreen window? I'm running with windowed mode personally (makes it much faster to tab between accounts).

that did it. i am running 3 accounts on Quality graphics with /maxinactivefps 10

thank you for the help

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, alphamax said:

Sorry naive question: it looks like the HC launcher can only run 1 instance at time - how do you run 2+ instances to run with your own alts on the same computer?

Go into options on the launcher and turn 'allow multiple instances' on.  Then fire up the game again like you would normally.  You have to run a second account,  not the same account twice.

On 8/7/2021 at 10:31 AM, TheZag said:

-maxinactivefps 15

On 8/7/2021 at 4:45 PM, presto2112 said:

i checked using /maxInactiveFps in-game

Thanks for this.  It's made running CoH in the background for AFK badge farming much less stressful for my computer.