Which other power besides Radiation Emission?

Palehood

I'm trying to create a new character for roleplaying purposes and have chosen Illusion Control as a Primary Power. From what I've seen searching the internet, the best Secondary Power to pair with Illusion Control is Radiation Emission but I don't want to use Radiation Emission because it doesn't fit with the new character's background and storyline that I'm creating. Which other power is good to be used along with Illusion Control?

Cold or Traps would be my choices.  Traps is interesting not only because of the strong debuffs but because they come from pets.  You can 'wander' around the battlefield utterly invisibly stealthed dropping those pets 'casually' destroying your foes undetected.

Cold is just a really strong set for it's debuffs which like RadEm is good when a chunk of your pets can't be effected by any buffs you do have.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Clarity

1 hour ago, Palehood said:

I'm trying to create a new character for roleplaying purposes and have chosen Illusion Control as a Primary Power. From what I've seen searching the internet, the best Secondary Power to pair with Illusion Control is Radiation Emission but I don't want to use Radiation Emission because it doesn't fit with the new character's background and storyline that I'm creating. Which other power is good to be used along with Illusion Control?

Would help to know the background/story. That might suggest something.

3 hours ago, Blood Speaker said:

Would help to know the background/story. That might suggest something.

He is a horned monster who didn't become one by magic or supernatural means but plans to pretend so in order to scam people into thinking that he is some sort of devil. So Radiation Emission is out cause maybe a Fire based power might suit him more since it is more related to Hell and the like. But I prioritize usefullness more than roleplaying so I might change his background a little if I have no choice but to give him a certain power that has no relation to his background story.

Edited by Palehood

1 hour ago, Palehood said:

He is a horned monster who didn't become one by magic or supernatural means but plans to pretend so in order to scam people into thinking that he is some sort of devil. So Radiation Emission is out cause maybe a Fire based power might suit him more since it is more related to Hell and the like. But I prioritize usefullness more than roleplaying so I might change his background a little if I have no choice but to give him a certain power that has no relation to his background story.

Why not Thermal then?

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

4 hours ago, Palehood said:

The question of usefulness raises another question: what do you want the character to be useful FOR? Just about any combination of powersets can be useful, depending on playstyle, but I generally saw ill/rad used for AV/GM soloing.  For normal play, virtually anything would work, with a bit of creativity, and with power customization, there's no need for rad to look "atomic green".

3 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Why not Thermal then?

This or Dark Miasma would be thematically appropriate for a "demon", though Thermal has more reliable self-healing. 

9 minutes ago, Blood Speaker said:

The question of usefulness raises another question: what do you want the character to be useful FOR? Just about any combination of powersets can be useful, depending on playstyle, but I generally saw ill/rad used for AV/GM soloing.  For normal play, virtually anything would work, with a bit of creativity, and with power customization, there's no need for rad to look "atomic green".

This or Dark Miasma would be thematically appropriate for a "demon", though Thermal has more reliable self-healing. 

Plus 2 great debuffs. 

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

IMO Thermal is rarely given the credit it deserves. It's a monster set that only comes together late, but it can deliver. It's probably not strictly the better soloist, but it's still really impressive.

The main thing about Thermal is it's a healing set that still gets a Benumb-like power (Heat Exhaustion). Thermal can self heal, but more importantly Thermal can support a Lore pet and potentially a bonus Patron pet probably better than any other Buff set can while still retaining a strong source of -Regen.  This is partly why Thermal is a popular set for Masterminds.  

Cold is still good. It's helped by easy access to defense powers to slot Luck of the Gamblers in. Cold pumps out more -Resist than Thermal does. Cold also effectively has bottomless endurance after securing enough IOs, and that counts for a lot.

Dark Affinity is also good and fits the theme you mentioned.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Thumbs Up 1

You can always recolor Rad if it's the color scheme that throws you off.  

Personally, I'm partial to Ill/Dark (every debuff you'd want and an extra pet) and Ill/Traps (stealth and distractions for you to lay out your crazy bombs), but Ill/TA, Ill/Time, and Ill/Cold are all good in their own right.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!