CoH rejoinders, repostes, and whitty repartee

Techwright

On a task force the other evening, one of the NPCs called out "Task Force 'X'?  We don't have time for this!"  I immediately wanted to spout some sort of Spider-Man-worthy snarky response.  All I could think of, however, was "Well make time!"  Clearly, I need to work on my dialog.

But how about you?  Post any NPC dialog you find just itching for a rejoinder, reposte, or repartee, and then deliver.  The rest of us can add or join in as well.  (I'm guessing @Snarky will make an appearance.)  Feel free to make a better rebuttal to "Task Force 'X'?  We don't have time for this!" than I did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Smart a... alek comments are pretty much off the cuff.  They seem better in real time than served up cold for examination.  like hot dogs

During the Minds of Mayhem trial I do regularly start a conversation when the three ladies meet Calvin Scott.  "Okay ladies, lets pretend you were never married. Just pretend he was your patient. Whatever he says make him think you barely knew each other."

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Smart a... alek comments are pretty much off the cuff.  They seem better in real time than served up cold for examination.  like hot dogs

During the Minds of Mayhem trial I do regularly start a conversation when the three ladies meet Calvin Scott.  "Okay ladies, lets pretend you were never married. Just pretend he was your patient. Whatever he says make him think you barely knew each other."

Now, if we could just get someone with helium nearby to chime in over the discord...

• Haha 2

Doing a yin, Clamor says her usual spiel and this tine its Task force Delilah. Well then Clamor i guess this task force really is all about me, Delilah Ascendant. Thanks mom you purple wierdo, youre embarrassing me in front of the other heros that i plan to betray in a moment.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

This also tends to apply to table top role-playing games. As a game store owner I sometimes hear a "funny" RPG story but there's something lost with not being there at the moment.

I have a few of my own, but I've noticed in the past the slight nod and almost "uh huh" from the listener when I'm done so I've stopped telling the stories and just relive the moment silently. Unless it's very short, say a sentence or two, then it might be worth repeating, if someone actually laughed one time. 

Oh, and french fries.. I hate cold french fries.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Techwright said:

But how about you?

A while back I ran team through Dark Astoria, and when Mot's interstitial whispers started aPeaRRing my character would rEplyinKINd with stuff like "iaM comING fOr yOU mOt!" or "yOu caNNot esCApE mE!!!" - stuff like that.

SG mate spontaneously joined in and started cracking wise about the "Crazy Drow Chick Losing her Mind."

Good Times. Love me some Dark Astoria. 

Edited by InvaderStych
cleared tags
  • Haha 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

11 hours ago, gamingglen said:

This also tends to apply to table top role-playing games. As a game store owner I sometimes hear a "funny" RPG story but there's something lost with not being there at the moment.

I have a few of my own, but I've noticed in the past the slight nod and almost "uh huh" from the listener when I'm done so I've stopped telling the stories and just relive the moment silently. Unless it's very short, say a sentence or two, then it might be worth repeating, if someone actually laughed one time. 

Reminds me of the cocktail party in one iron man movie where War Machine is telling a fight story. Thor and the gang just looked at him after he finished the story.  He was like “that story kills”. Thor was like “oh, that was the punch line? Yes hilarious!”

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, gamingglen said:

I remember years ago when Everquest was new, I would tell my co-workers about all the fun, exciting, and hilarious adventures I was having. One guy was finally fed up with me, “dude, will you PLEASE stop talking about Everquest! We don’t care!”

yeah, i just keep it to myself now and enjoy things privately

but this one time, we were camping orcs and a hill giant squished my friends wizzy we had no idea what happened it was AWESOME

Edited by presto2112
  • Haha 3

It is not just game stories people dont care about.  I was trying to tell my boss today why a 200,000 dollar tractor got disabled and he was like “why are you telling me this?” People just do not want to hear crap sometimes.  Mostly because they are interested in what is going on with them.  Your stories about your character or your tractor or whatever means little to them most of the time

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

I was delighted to learn that F10 Battlecrys can be fired off during cutscenes.  One of the very few things you can do while the bad guys are monologing.

(Apart from making a sandwich, walking the dog, or running out for beer.)

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)