Confused about pylon testing - Latest dom looks good for ST damage in Mids, but took forever on a pylon

EnjoyTheJourney

Testing out a lvl 50 earth / dark / soul dom on a pylon led to the pylon having about 75-80% of its hit points left after 3 minutes. At that point I gave up. That was completely different (and much worse) than what was expected when looking at ST DPA on Mids. 

On Mids the damage figures for the ST rotation are as follows (all figures without gather shadows or soul drain, so these are minimums):

Moon Beam - 458 damage, 1.33 second cast time

Gloom - 268 damage, 1.1 second cast time

Smite - 245 damage, 0.97 second cast time

Dark Obliteration - 162 damage, 1 second cast time

Life Drain - 260 damage, 1.93 second cast time

Dark Blast - 91 damage, 1 second cast time

It's a permadom build with 150% global recharge, so the recharge times are fairly low; soul drain is up close to 50% of the time and gather shadows a little less than 1/3 of the time. Plus, the most damaging three powers make up the clear majority of the attacks used. And, of course, the most damaging available attack was (nearly) always used.

This dom has a T1 cardiac alpha, a T1 melee hybrid, a T1 reactive interface, and a T1 barrier destiny. Judgment is void T1 and it was used a couple of times.

Factoring everything in, the DPS being done seems much too low. But, is there something I'm missing about Mids and/or pylon testing?

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

• EnjoyTheJourney changed the title to Confused about pylon testing - Latest dom looks good for ST damage in Mids, but took forever on a pylon

Thank you for your response!

The snipe damage number given is with quickform engaged. The snipe has 5 pieces of the sting of the manticore in it. It has 2 damage procs, including the Manticore damage proc and the PvP toxic damage proc (in the 6th slot). 

The only other characters I've had with such slow pylon times weren't fun to play and they were all abandoned. But, Mids pretty much suggested that a lack of optimism about pylon time was warranted for those characters. In this case, pylon times would be expected to be less than half of what it was shaping up to be. 

Two key differences from ohter tests done are that I usually take degenerative interface and have T3 or T4 incarnates before testing. It's hard to see how these differences would more than double expected pylon times, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You can trying parsing it. Switch Combat Logging on (/logchat I think), right click your Combat tab and add Pet Damage etc and give it another go. 

Fight til you kill it or get bored. Then you can upload the log (close the game or make a copy because the game keeps a file lock on it) and you can upload it my combat logger and see what the DPS is worked out as. 

https://www.carnifax.org

Like this sample (ITF on my DP/Kin corruptor I think)

image.thumb.png.cd807a81cc683bbd772ec1751861ebe3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dark's damage is not mediocre 

This statement is backed by a vast amounts of achievements and  two different Pylon testing times 

The players who have actually done pylon testing and AV killing they know what I am talking about 

Let me present the hard facts so there's no confusion --> Dark assault has enough dmg to take down AVs , AND
it has enough dmg to make good pylon times. 

More important than dmg when when it comes to soloing AVs, especially AVs that hit hard or are 53 or 54, more important is utility or survival.  
You do 0 DPS dead.
This is where Dark outshines them all. The to hit debuffs stacking from the secondary, and if you have dark primary, that goes a longer way. 

This was a result posted in the pylon thread

Oh, and it is important to point out before you read the rest of the data below , that 
*** This was just with the secondary. No primary power used like the pets.  The instant snipe is amazing here. ***

Dark Assault+Ice Mastery (Test Server with snipe changes)

Degenerative Core Flawless

Musculature Core Paragon

Ageless Core Epiphany (for endurance)

Perma Domination

Chain:Smite-Midnight Grasp-Gloom-Moon Beam (Gather Shadows-Sleet when up)

Assualt Radial Embodiment (double dmg)

2:20  ~401.72dps

2:21  ~399.78dps

Assault Core Embodiment (+dmg)

2:13 ~416.13dps

2:04 ~437.96dps

The +dmg Dominator proc was in Midnight Grasp. Pure +dmg Hyprid slot did work a little better then the double hit

Sleet did have both (target aoe) -res procs in it

*** additional info --  Pylon testing will not go well with Soul epic since drain on a single target is not much dmg buff. 

This all changes if you are surrounded by good a mob of a good size , since the dmg buff increases substantially.  *** 

Edited by Voltak
  • Like 1

Well off hand Fire, Energy, Earth are the top ST damage assaults.  I haven't played any of the other revamped assaults since they made them better but I'm sure Ice isn't too shabby nowadays, I hear Savage may be half decent. 

Psi is more aoe and survivability oriented.  Dark is survivability oriented as well with the -tohitt and heal.  It's ST dps is okay but nowhere near the first 3 mentioned since those assaults don't have a side benefit that includes a heal or make it harder to hit you. 

I've played about all of the dom assaults, Dark is a good assault for its own reasons but trying to claim its not middle of the pack damage-wise is kidding yourself.  You may want to expand your horizons with some more assaults.

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1

I don't believe more than half the stuff people claim on the forums. 
I believe in results I see, I believe in facts and evidence.   Too many peeps come and make all kinds of claims and then faceplant when try to prove it.  Or they make claims about things they are not even capable of doing themselves , so they have no first hand knowledge that comes from results or actual testing. 

Unlike others, I  am not trying to claim anything that I can't back up or prove. 
Are there pylon testing results?   To prove that Dark assault is mediocre?  No, right? 

I have no doubt about fire since the very extremely fast animations are kings in this game, but I already seen pylon testing for fire. 
That's even more important.  

But people who have not done pylon testing or don't know about pylon times AND THEN come to the forums to make claims, they are the same kind of people who come to make claims that they can do X thing 3 times faster than another but then fail hardcore when it comes time to prove their claims.   Conclusion -  believe in results and evidence only, and don't believe people who don't have first hand knowledge of the subject matter. 
Follow the doers, not the theoreticians 

I do have pylon testing for Dark

Animation times are a big deal, they matter a lot.  When it comes to pylon testing Damage per animation is supreme and reigns above all others. 
That is why fire can't be touched. 
But Dark, for the exact reasons of animation time, does not place mediocre.  It's proven to be good, better than mediocre. 

I let the facts speak, the test results speak , and results speak louder and clearer than people posting their opinions without actually testing. 

Edited by Voltak

The OP started this topic asking why his Dark Assault damage is so low doing the lolpylon test. 

That's his realization not ours. 

The rest of us that understand the fundamental differences across power sets are aware enough to give him reasons as to why his Dark Assault doesn't seem up to snuff straight damage-wise.  They're pretty experienced so I assume they know how to build the dom for damage with procs and such.  

Create a new dom with Fire, Energy or whatever you like.  Show the power details and scale it to level 50.  The base stats are your "facts", there's quite a dpa difference in ST attack powers across all of the powersets.  But I guess that's too hard to do. 

For pylons using aoe powers is counter to how you want to build for to pass this "test".  Why would you even take any primary powers that don't feed into your ST damage?  Pylon tests, ha!  What a metric.

• Like 1

Again, I don't believe many things peeps say I forums about this or that set and so on. 
I put things to the test, I seen things you claim before, and I don't think like you do. 
I believe in results.  That's were you and I differ.  I only believe in tests, results and evidence. 
Stuff I claim is backed by the results. 

I know common sense is not that common anymore, but that's another subject matter for another thread.

Test results are conclusive, and Dark is not mediocre.  The thread is about pylon times. Someone came here to claim dark will be mediocre but has no first hand experience at testing Dark to see if it is or not.   

You are the one claiming it is mediocre but you never ever tested it. 
Nor have you dont any pylon testing with your own set 

You see the pattern here?  You come to the forums multiple times to make claims that you have no first hand experience nor have you ever done walk about the talk you make. 

Check out what you just said --

"For pylons using aoe powers is counter to how you want to build for to pass this "test".  Why would you even take any primary powers that don't feed into your ST damage?  Pylon tests, ha!  What a metric." 

No one is claiming to take Dark because of Pylon times.   You are making a straw man then beating it but no one state that they are taking Dark because of the pylon times.    I am stating only the facts and the results, that Dark damage , in this topic of pylon testing, it is not mediocre. 

I have put Dark assault in other kinds of tests, tests which you are not even able to pass successfully or tests which you have never done yourself.  The results are not mediocre either. 
So , are there any other evidence or facts on which you should base a claim that Dark is mediocre?   Not yet. 

This is not your first time doing so, nor, I assume, will it be your last.   I already seen where your talk lead you last time, and I expect nothing different this time.   I still remember your claim (NOT MINE)  about you being able to clear Carnies 3 times faster.  
You were dying 3 times faster was the correct to say it, we don't even need to touch on wether you can or cannot  clear Carnies 3 times faster. 
Then when YOU FAIL your own test and challenge, you blame the other person of asking for that test as if that test or challenge was premeditated by the other person so they can beat you at it.   Lunatic reasoning ?

Edited by Voltak

@Voltak unfortunately, just because you like something doesn’t make it better than it is

it’s great that you have a passion for a particular set and seem to really enjoy playing it, but that passion doesn’t make the set any better than it actually is for other players who may be looking for things different to you, such as higher damage

Edited by MoonSheep
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Voltak said:

This is not your first time doing so, nor, I assume, will it be your last.   I already seen where your talk lead you last time, and I expect nothing different this time.   I still remember your claim (NOT MINE)  about you being able to clear Carnies 3 times faster.

After telling me a bunch of times how I am allowed not to use Mass Confusion while I acquiesce to your challenge to show you how to clear a map much faster it dawned on me that you have no objectivity.  I wasn't in your Carnie run telling you how you were allowed to use your regular powers, use the tools available to you to clear the map the fastest most efficient way possible.  So after warning you a few times not to bother me while I use my regular powers showing you I had no problem just quitting out. 

You can live your fantasy and gloat all you like, you obviously didn't like the reality of what Mass Confusion could do so you decided to bicker with me while I showed you how it is done.  You don't know how powers work outside of the ones you've grown fond of, your opinion is meaningless.   

So please do go on.  Give EJ some insight as to why his realization of Dark's dpa is so low for your pylon test when I'm sure that's not the case for the top tier dom damage assaults. 

Just because you believe in the Tooth Fairy doesn't mean the rest of us have to.  

Edited by Mezmera

To help get this back to topic to illustrate to EJ the differences in an attack chain for the various dom assaults using the 4 best ST attacks they can muster here's a bit of base statistics to consider.  

Dark Assault

Smite: 98 dpa

Gloom: 84 dpa

Midnight Grasp: 77 dpa

Energy Assault

Bone Smasher: 76 dpa

Total Focus: 89 dpa

Power Burst: 141 dpa

Fire Assault

Incinerate: 74 dpa

Fire Blast: 87 dpa

Blaze: 152 dpa

The assaults all share about the same in the snipes, Fire's carries better raw damage because that's what fire does but the secondary effects in other ones allow for some unique slotting.  

That's quite a big difference in the top dpa between the best powers in each power set not to mention the sheer raw damage Embrace of Fire allows for.  With enhancing it only amplifies how much better Power Burst and Blaze are comparatively.  They all pretty much proc the same and have access to each of their own unique damage procs so no need to get into the weeds with procs we can all make use of.  

The only better ST power a dom can get is Energy Transfer with a whopping 165 dpa.  Which sure use this power if you can heal but Life Drain now having to be in your chain carries a dpa of 45 so it balances ET down some having these two attacks chained.  

If you're going to grind into a ST pylon it's probably best to look at the most effective chains.  

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

@Voltak unfortunately, just because you like something doesn’t make it better than it is

it’s great that you have a passion for a particular set and seem to really enjoy playing it, but that passion doesn’t make the set any better than it actually is for other players who may be looking for things different to you, such as higher damage

you claimed with no basis, no tests, no results, you claimed, in a thread about Pylon times, Dark assault vs pylon testing, you said that Dark assault is mediocre. 

Therefore, you, again are making claims, just like last time, on subject matters that you have
1) no experience doing this task , especially with this set
2) No results to base it on

I only provided facts, test results , you know, data done via hands on research, NOT assumptions,  to demonstrate that it is not mediocre at all. 

I already talked to the OP.  His reaction was totally different than yours.  He recognizes when someone presents him with actual test results, not assumptions. 

5 hours ago, Mezmera said:

To help get this back to topic to illustrate to EJ the differences in an attack chain for the various dom assaults using the 4 best ST attacks they can muster here's a bit of base statistics to consider.  

Dark Assault

So that's it?   A person who has never done pylon testing with Dark assault nor any pylon testing with her own toon, that person will now come to the forums and declare that based ONLY on theories found in Mid planner, with that info alone, that's enough to declare Dark as mediocre for Pylon times  !!??  

This is what I have issue with --  On the one hand we have  players who have walked the walked and done and achieved things , in this case, who have actually done pylon testing and seen for themselves , then we have players who have no such experience, no such first hand knowledge, never done the walk but they come here claiming things.    

The players who have done these things, they can give the OP a better picture especially when talking about the specific assault set. 
It's like players who give advice about killing an AV +4 but who have never done it or can't. I mean there's free speech but the doers have a bit more weight than theory crafters 

Regarding Dark Assault DPA let me provide the corroborating material, not opinions. 

As we can see, Midnight Grasp is at 77.85 DPA
Gloom is at 84.53 DPA 
Smite is 98.72
Moonbeam is 75 DPA

Non enhanced 

Smite 306.2 DPA 
Midnight Grasp is 225.6
Gloom is 231.4
Moonbeam is 165 

But here is where Dark does well -->
the short animation times for most of the attacks in the chain when doing pylon testing. 

Smite is only .97 seconds with a 2 second recharge
Gloom is one second cast with a 2 second recharge
Moonbeam is insta , with 5 sec recharge
Midnight Grasp is only 2 second casting time, 4 secs recharge 

THis is all very crucial and we, who have done pylon testing over and over, these things we know are crucial to take into consideration with every other pertinent fact.   

PRO TIP -->>>. 
Shorter casting times will allow you to dish out more attacks within the time your damage booster is active, especially Build up procs, since they happen at random. 
Quicker recharge time helps to dish out the highest DPA attacks within the time window of your dmg booster. 

Again, how fast those powers recharge is another indispensable factor, the faster they recharge the sooner you can use them especially during the window of your dmg boost.  For the sake of getting a kill, higher recharge translates directly to higher damage.  That's not up for debate. 

PRO TIP -->>

Powers with shorter casting time will benefit way more during short windows of build up procs 
This is a game changer for pylon testing

My highest DPA attack  is cast in only .97 seconds but recharges in only 2 seconds !!    (compare that with 3.75 secs recharge and 1.67 secs casting time)  
My second DPA attack has only a 2 second casting time but it  recharges in 4 seconds, compare that with 5.7 seconds recharge and 2.53 casting time)

This is all with Gather Shadows on, again, with Gather shadows amplifying the dmg. Gathering shadows has a 10 second uptime and a 15 second downtime. 

Without Gather Shadows on for 15 seconds 

We have 

Smite. 272.6

Gloom 202.6

Midnight Grasp 199.2 

Moonbeam 139.5

***PROCS ***

The numbers above can be misleading because this isn't accounting for proc damage, which Dark Assault can do a whole lot of, perhaps more than energy and more than fire and this is a huge factor when doing pylon testing. 

Those things help to form the final result , which is 

These are BY NO MEANS mediocre dmg numbers when it comes to Pylon testing.  

People who have actually done pylon testing, we know, they know this is a fact. 

People who have never done this, done these tests over and over, their word or opinion are really not close to being in a position as those who have. 

Even the OP talked to me and admitted that his times were not even close, but it had been his first time doing this with Dark. 

As he learns, and he will learn the tricks and tactics , and learn the build and slotting, his time will improve 

Please give way to the experienced, to those have have actually done and achieved. 
I really am not trying to brag but I am still figuring out why someone with NO EXPERIENCE , no actual testing of their own doing this, will start to debate on the matter of dark assault specifically within Pylon Testing.  If you have no first hand experience, nor have done before, why debate with people who have?    

Why don't you excuse yourself, and admit you have zero experience doing this, you have never done this, and leave those who have done it say wether or not Dark can do bad, or mediocre or good, in Pylon testing ?  

Is it pride? hubris?  

Go on and debate something you have actually done. But on matters about soloing AVs, Pylons, Soloing the ITF, clearing maps of Carnies and so on, these are things you have not done, zero first-hand experience.  Those are not your areas.   There are plenty of other matter in the forums you have first hand knowledge about.  This one here, this is not one of them. 

Reminds me of the debate back in live server, on the forums, of Energy melee / Regen brutes vs Claws/Regen brute in PVP. 

How some people just LOVED coming to the forums with assumptions or these theories and info from Mids and talked about why an Energy Melee brute would beat a claws brute.   Energy melee looked good and great in their eyes or in their minds, UNTIL actual testing. 
The person arguing that claws would beat was a person with plenty  of experience and the person arguing about energy melee winning  had never done this specific testing. 
There was some information that Mid was not providing in relation to the task at hand --->

Claws attacks recharge faster , and animations combined with recharge provide  a whole new dimension of difference 
DPS calculators on Mid cannot give you the whole picture in a manner that actual practice can. 
Practical experience trumps theory, and always will. 

When those BU procs came on, claws was doing more attacks than energy melee, and when build up or follow up was up, claws always did more attacks. 
Energy melee brutes was behind to claws brutes when it was testing time.
 Reading Mids only is far from knowing what really goes on. 

Nothing in the game beats hands on experience, never did and never will 

Stop debating, please. 

image.png.6a7875ff924a76ea24b3e65142c9bf61-2.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 7.19.33 AM.png

Edited by Voltak
  • Like 1

@EnjoyTheJourney this thread seems to have taken a very strange path..

perhaps check out fire, energy or earth on test and see whether it feels more impactful. there’s always slight differences between sets but for the most part once you’re in a team and buffed up it’s likely to be unnoticeable. i enjoy mind/fire for the unbeatable ST damage but it’s a bit weaker on the AoE front 

Edited by MoonSheep
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

@EnjoyTheJourney this thread seems to have taken a very strange path..

perhaps check out fire, energy or earth on test and see whether it feels more impactful. there’s always slight differences between sets but for the most part once you’re in a team and buffed up it’s likely to be unnoticeable. i enjoy mind/fire for the unbeatable ST damage but it’s a bit weaker on the AoE front 

I stayed on topic 

And I do apologize if the discussion with Mezmera goes on this long. 

I actually have results and experience doing this.  

I hope that helps and I shared the results for the sake to shed some light that comes from actual hands on, not theory. 

Again, I am cool. and I don't intend to deviate the subject matter at all. 

** handshake ** 

3 hours ago, Voltak said:

I stayed on topic 

And I do apologize if the discussion with Mezmera goes on this long. 

I actually have results and experience doing this.  

I hope that helps and I shared the results for the sake to shed some light that comes from actual hands on, not theory. 

Again, I am cool. and I don't intend to deviate the subject matter at all. 

** handshake ** 

No.  You've hijacked the topic yet again by making it all about your pettiness.  You can't even be bothered to log in and compare easy to view basic stats of the various powers across the power sets.  

Then you go far off topic and then when I respond to your absurdness you claim the victim.  

Again, explain to us why EJ is coming to the conclusion he his with his test of killing a pylon that is taking him forever.  Explain to us the wide difference in dpa and why Fire and Energy perform as it does with these numbers.  You can't because that would mean you'd have to be objective.  

Dark Assault

Energy Assault

Bone Smasher: 76 dpa

Total Focus: 89 dpa

Power Burst: 141 dpa

Fire Assault

Incinerate: 74 dpa

Fire Blast: 87 dpa

Blaze: 152 dpa

6 hours ago, Mezmera said:

No.  You've hijacked the topic yet again by making it all about your pettiness.  You can't even be bothered to log in and compare easy to view basic stats of the various powers across the power sets.  

Then you go far off topic and then when I respond to your absurdness you claim the victim.  

Again, explain to us why EJ is coming to the conclusion he his with his test of killing a pylon that is taking him forever.  Explain to us the wide difference in dpa and why Fire and Energy perform as it does with these numbers.  You can't because that would mean you'd have to be objective.  

I stayed on topic.   Dark Assault for pylon testing is not mediocre damage, that conclusion is a result of testing and first hand experience , and by just looking at the numbers 
No one is saying anyone is a victim here. 

Just saying your illogical drive to be  debating pylon times when you never done it, on any set at all. 
You have assumptions on how it goes but you never had hands on experience. 

Just like you never had hands on experience in other stuff but you insists on debating about that too, when you can't do it, and have never done it 

I already pointed out the fact that using DPA numbers from Mid planner is Not enough to prove wether a pylon testing time is mediocre or not

The ultimate proof is drawn from the results time 

The results time will also depend on build. 
The build depends on recharge, procs, sequence and so on
Animation times for each power used in the testing is crucial as well and I put out the numbers clearly to demonstrate why this matters a whole lot
How many attacks you put out during the window of the Build UPs every time those BU procs hit or when you hit Build Up , how many attacks you get off matter a lot. The total animation times of all powers used in the sequence therefore are crucial 
Again - refer to the numbers I presented above 

You said -- 

"Explain to us the wide difference in dpa and why Fire and Energy perform as it does with these numbers. " 

Perform??  You have no idea what the performances are in pylon testing.   You have never done it nor do you have results of pylon testing PRIOR to to you coming to this thread, coming in with no experience nor first hand knowledge...   

You should explain to us why you jump to conclusions on pylon testing when you have no evidence, no tests, no results BASED ON PYLON TESTING 

We are talking about pylon results, you have NONE to go off on.

The only one here who have posted testing times is the OP and myself, NOT YOU. 

Dark assault is NOT mediocre. 

Here is the corroborating material 

The results 

Edited by Voltak

My thanks to everybody for the feedback. There's plenty to unpack here and it will take a while to digest and integrate everything. 

I'll be experimenting with builds for the next several days; thanks to some help I now know how to export IOs to beta characters from Mids, which is hugely helpful for testing out new builds. 

Carnifax: I'll check out the combat parser as part of this process. It makes it very easy to see the effect of marginal changes, which is crucial improving builds. Thank you for creating it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

My thanks to everybody for the feedback. There's plenty to unpack here and it will take a while to digest and integrate everything. 

I'll be experimenting with builds for the next several days; thanks to some help I now know how to export IOs to beta characters from Mids, which is hugely helpful for testing out new builds. 

Carnifax: I'll check out the combat parser as part of this process. It makes it very easy to see the effect of marginal changes, which is crucial improving builds. Thank you for creating it. 

I noticed that Individual Powers aren't calculating / showing the "Damage Per Combat Second" when they easily could, which is annoying me now. So thank you for 'forcing' me to do an update 😄

On 10/11/2021 at 12:43 PM, Carnifax said:

You can trying parsing it. Switch Combat Logging on (/logchat I think), right click your Combat tab and add Pet Damage etc and give it another go. 

Fight til you kill it or get bored. Then you can upload the log (close the game or make a copy because the game keeps a file lock on it) and you can upload it my combat logger and see what the DPS is worked out as. 

https://www.carnifax.org

Thank you for pointing this resource out to me. I'm interested in trying it out, as I've revised my dom's build and would like to see how much single target DPS may have improved. 

How can I get information from the combat log into a file format or data format that would work for the combat logger?

I tried a direct "paste" into the different entry screens, but that didn't work. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

On 10/11/2021 at 8:40 PM, Voltak said:

I don't believe more than half the stuff people claim on the forums. 
I believe in results I see, I believe in facts and evidence.  

You seem to make a lot of evidence free claims though. Like every time you claim to be the first or only person to have done something in this game. 

• Like 1