Armors to be or not to be...?

The_Warpact

Do y'all incorporate armors into your builds or more of a devil may care "I'll kill them before they get me" kind of attitude?

I keep getting stuck on planning out a build on Mids because I'm trying to figure out what to take. The big thing is do I try to get cap on def/res or one or the other or just forget it.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I layer my doms.  The first layer is to use your controls aggressively and stop the targets before they stop you, the best defense is a good offense.  The next layer I'll build in is tough/weave and an epic shield which will usually raise my resists quite nice.  The last layer I like to have is I try to cap all of my positional defenses achievable through bonuses, all of the defense powers you take to chase recharge and then something like power boosting Unleash Potential.  

Should my controls fail me I like to have fall back through resists and great defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i don’t bother. in my opinion the whole squishies with silly tough and weave builds is a fad that needs to die out

mez something if you don’t want it punching you, pop a medium purple if things get spicy

really frees up your build to be the best dom you can & enjoy the niches you have, whether that’s procs, fun pool powers, sets you like the look of etc

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

i don’t bother. in my opinion the whole squishies with silly tough and weave builds is a fad that needs to die out

mez something if you don’t want it punching you, pop a medium purple if things get spicy

really frees up your build to be the best dom you can & enjoy the niches you have, whether that’s procs, fun pool powers, sets you like the look of etc

That's because you play Fiyah and not a secondary that can power boost all of those defenses you've taken to slot those LotG's.  Since you have to pick defense powers why not get the best one and pick up some good resists along the way?

To me there's nothing more fun than capping all your defenses, paired with 70% resists and mad control but that may just be me.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mezmera said:

That's because you play Fiyah and not a secondary that can power boost all of those defenses you've taken to slot those LotG's.  Since you have to pick defense powers why not get the best one and pick up some good resists along the way?

To me there's nothing more fun than capping all your defenses, paired with 70% resists and mad control but that may just be me.  

being squishy is part of the fun, makes the control powers feel that much more special

and besides, my dom outlives any other dom, scrapper or tank as i’m permanently juiced up on T3/T4 insps 😂

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

T4's only?  What of those big ol' team oranges and reds?   No one dies on my team unless I want them to for veng.  😜

i do enjoy making a huge herd, bringing it to the tank and observing the chaos from a far. once someone dies i spam all my AoE control powers and hit up the veng

the nutrient rich corpse of the fallen team mate blesses us all for many minutes 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would take them. The Defense ones offer a place to slot the coveted Luck of the Gambler global recharge proc. The Resistance ones are just generally nice to have.

If you go with the Psi APP, capping is a lot easier than probably other sets. Psi is the defensive APP. It means you don't get Sleet, which means lower damage potential, for the cost of safety. Psi also provides a monstrous amount of Psi defense and is the only set with combo resistance and defense.

If you can afford two builds, one Psi APP and one Ice APP aren't a bad idea.  

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

I just realized I read your question incorrectly.

RE: whether to cap or not. In general, I picture there being 3 defense thresholds.

• 32.5% Defense - Soft capped with one small purple inspiration. This is a good number for budget builds, damage heavy proc builds, or for Dark users who will rely on -ToHit to cover the rest of the gap. 
  • 40% Defense - Soft capped with Destiny Barrier T4. This is mainly ideal on builds with already good endurance management (Fire and Psi Assault for example).  
  • 45% Defense - True soft cap. 

In addition there are five elements/vectors that are worth chasing:

• Ranged 
  • Melee
  • Smash
  • Lethal
  • Psionic - realistically, only achievable with the Psi APP

Smash and Lethal Defense are very easily achieved on set with a Defense armor, like the Ice one. If taking a Defense armor, I would probably try to soft cap these. Three Luck of the Gamblers for example will start you off around 20 Defense, so you only need about 25 more to cap. You'll have no Resistance to back this up so capping is very helpful. Also, I would still consider trying to gather Ranged Defense at a minimum, because a Ranged Fire attack for example completely blows through pure Smash/Lethal Defense.

image.thumb.png.563866988957e3d0416dec80391a130c.png

Meanwhile, with the Psi APP you'd get Link Minds and Indom Will, which provides this base:

image.thumb.png.4b1aaa5f0cb55d6a3ccd3414b70b5ab4.png

At first glance, Link Minds' 5% or so Defense may not look like much. But let's look at it again cross-referenced with the vectors/elements we said were attractive to chase:

• +5 Smash
  • +5 Lethal
  • +5 Melee
  • +5 Ranged
  • +5 Psi

= 25 Defense

(Plus the others we don't care as much about but aren't bad to have).

In short, the Psi APP makes it realistic to chase a couple of positions. If we are able to lower the target goal from 45% to 40% by running Barrier Destiny T4, we've covered even more ground. For example, here is my Elec/Psi/Psi build on live (actual Defense slightly below the in-game numbers because in the game Stealth has slightly better Defense than Mids reports).

image.thumb.png.9ec8c317dfb12530faaf87b5d9a169a8.png

This character is able to use Destiny Barrier because Drain Psyche covers most of his endurance bar issues. He isn't quite softcapped--dropping Teleportation pool would easily get him there. But he's so close that IMO the extra Defense doesn't help as much, since eating a purple or any source of -ToHit or +Defense from a teammate caps him again.

Part of the reason this build can achieve these thing is a combo of certain powetrtypes:

• Two holds (all Doms have this, and they are worth a min 7.5% recharge and some Ranged Defense
  • A Snipe (worth 2.5% Ranged Defense and 7.5% Recharge)
  • A Confuse (+5 Ranged, +10 Recharge)
  • A good melee attack (most have this, +5 Smash/Lethal Defense)
  • A few places to put Kinetic Combat (3.75% Smash/Lethal Defense each)
Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, oedipus_tex said:

I just realized I read your question incorrectly.

RE: whether to cap or not. In general, I picture there being 3 defense thresholds.

• 32.5% Defense - Soft capped with one small purple inspiration. This is a good number for budget builds, damage heavy proc builds, or for Dark users who will rely on -ToHit to cover the rest of the gap. 
  • 40% Defense - Soft capped with Destiny Barrier T4. This is mainly ideal on builds with already good endurance management (Fire and Psi Assault for example).  
  • 45% Defense - True soft cap. 

In addition there are five elements/vectors that are worth chasing:

• Ranged 
  • Melee
  • Smash
  • Lethal
  • Psionic - realistically, only achievable with the Psi APP

Smash and Lethal Defense are very easily achieved on set with a Defense armor, like the Ice one. If taking a Defense armor, I would probably try to soft cap these. Three Luck of the Gamblers for example will start you off around 20 Defense, so you only need about 25 more to cap. You'll have no Resistance to back this up so capping is very helpful. Also, I would still consider trying to gather Ranged Defense at a minimum, because a Ranged Fire attack for example completely blows through pure Smash/Lethal Defense.

image.thumb.png.563866988957e3d0416dec80391a130c.png

Meanwhile, with the Psi APP you'd get Link Minds and Indom Will, which provides this base:

image.thumb.png.4b1aaa5f0cb55d6a3ccd3414b70b5ab4.png

At first glance, Link Minds' 5% or so Defense may not look like much. But let's look at it again cross-referenced with the vectors/elements we said were attractive to chase:

• +5 Smash
  • +5 Lethal
  • +5 Melee
  • +5 Ranged
  • +5 Psi

= 25 Defense

(Plus the others we don't care as much about but aren't bad to have).

In short, the Psi APP makes it realistic to chase a couple of positions. If we are able to lower the target goal from 45% to 40% by running Barrier Destiny T4, we've covered even more ground. For example, here is my Elec/Psi/Psi build on live (actual Defense slightly below the in-game numbers because in the game Stealth has slightly better Defense than Mids reports).

image.thumb.png.9ec8c317dfb12530faaf87b5d9a169a8.png

This character is able to use Destiny Barrier because Drain Psyche covers most of his endurance bar issues. He isn't quite softcapped--dropping Teleportation pool would easily get him there. But he's so close that IMO the extra Defense doesn't help as much, since eating a purple or any source of -ToHit or +Defense from a teammate caps him again.

Part of the reason this build can achieve these thing is a combo of certain powetrtypes:

• Two holds (all Doms have this, and they are worth a min 7.5% recharge and some Ranged Defense
  • A Snipe (worth 2.5% Ranged Defense and 7.5% Recharge)
  • A Confuse (+5 Ranged, +10 Recharge)
  • A good melee attack (most have this, +5 Smash/Lethal Defense)
  • A few places to put Kinetic Combat (3.75% Smash/Lethal Defense each)

I hate the crutch that inspirations are and especially don't like the reliance to get a good build via Incarnate powers. That being said, this is the build I came up with, I'm permadom, and 2 sec off on Link Minds. Capped on Nrg/Neg/Rng def and s/l res.

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.6
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Heirarch: Level 50 Natural Dominator
Primary Power Set: Mind Control
Secondary Power Set: Energy Assault
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Mesmerize -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 1: Power Bolt -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(39), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(43)
Level 2: Dominate -- SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprDmnGrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(3), SprDmnGrs-EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(5), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(42)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(5)
Level 6: Confuse -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(7), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(9), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(11)
Level 8: Fly -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 10: Mass Hypnosis -- FrtHyp-Sleep(A), FrtHyp-Sleep/Rchg(11), FrtHyp-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(15), FrtHyp-Acc/Rchg(17), FrtHyp-Sleep/EndRdx(43)
Level 12: Power Blast -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(13), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(15), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(21), Apc-Dam%(46)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Power Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Total Domination -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(19), SprEnt-End/Rchg(19), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(23), SprEnt-Acc/Hold(34)
Level 20: Tough -- HO:Ribo(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(23), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(25), GldArm-3defTpProc(25)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), LucoftheG-Def(29)
Level 26: Terrify -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(29), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(31), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(31)
Level 28: Total Focus -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(37), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Hct-Acc/Rchg(37), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42)
Level 30: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(40), Frb-Stlth(50)
Level 32: Mass Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(33), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(33), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(33), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(34), CrcPrs-Conf%(34)
Level 35: Link Minds -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def(36), HO:Membr(42)
Level 38: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(50)
Level 41: Mind Over Body -- HO:Ribo(A)
Level 44: World of Confusion -- MlsIll-Acc/Rchg(A), MlsIll-EndRdx/Conf(45), MlsIll-Acc/EndRdx(45), MlsIll-Conf/Rng(45), MlsIll-Acc/Conf/Rchg(46), MlsIll-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Sniper Blast -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(48), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(48), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), StnoftheM-Dam%(50)
Level 49: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Domination
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(40), Mrc-Rcvry+(43)
Level 1: Stamina -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(39), PrfShf-End%(40)
Level 1: Energy Focus
Level 8: Afterburner
Level 49: Quick Form
------------

Edited by The_Warpact
forgot something
  • Like 1

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Build's not bad. Do you mind if I nitpick some things?

• You have no AoE damage in this build other than Terrify. I'd drop World of Confusion for Psionic Tornado. Psi Nado takes a global recharge proc which is very helpful on Dominators.
  • Dominate: This one is hard for me because Dominate can be slotted either for Recharge/Defense or Damage. I've not done a comparison versus Energy Blast to see if procced out Dominate outcompetes any of the powers there. The general rule, though, is that for Mind or Fire Control you should compare the T2 blast to the damage of the procced hold. f the Hold does more damage, you can drop the T2 blast. For example here is Dominate with 6 damage procs, assuming we can put two purple damage procs there:

image.png.7121f595025f6c6e225c110b24a7e735.png

Here is Power Push assuming we went with two damage procs:

image.png.c8ec43b9e88f8d08317f6d223ae1b2aa.png

On top of this, Dominate holds your enemies, while Power Push knocks them back. I'd go with Dominate if there's any way you can. Keep in mind I'm assuming you have enough global accuracy and +ToHit to make procced out Dominate land. You may need Tactics/Kismet. There is some minor +ToHit in Link Minds to assist as well. 

(For anyone reading this not playing Mind Control, you'd need to factor in the cast time of your hold to see if this tradeoff is worth it. Domination and Power Push have the same cast time, so procced out Dominate does more DPA than Power Push if you cover its accuracy with external buffs.)

• Power Blast: Even if you don't proc Dominate, drop this. Replace with Power Push if not proccing. Or replace both with procced Dominate.
  • Sniper Blast: Deserves a second damage proc. This is your heaviest hitter, and in a snipe it will proc frequently.
  • Power Burst: I'd not skip this. 
  • Power Bolt: You won't be casting this. Zero slots.
  • Assault: Is almost never worth it. Taking Tactics on the other hand may be viable if you want to underslot other powers (to fill them with procs e.g.) 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Thanks 1

Power Burst is too good of a power not to take plus it synergizes well with Total Focus.  The last three powers in Energy Assault should not be skipped with Power Burst being the best in the class.  Power Blast can be dropped after level 30.  

As far as aoe @oedipus_tex is right you'll want at least a little aoe.  I usually will look to pull good aoe damage from the epic pools plus I also proc Total Domination with the purple and gladiator procs which detonate quite nice thanks to the longer recharge of the power for some decent aoe damage.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oedipus_tex said:

Build's not bad. Do you mind if I nitpick some things?

• You have no AoE damage in this build other than Terrify. I'd drop World of Confusion for Psionic Tornado. Psi Nado takes a global recharge proc which is very helpful on Dominators.
  • Dominate: This one is hard for me because Dominate can be slotted either for Recharge/Defense or Damage. I've not done a comparison versus Energy Blast to see if procced out Dominate outcompetes any of the powers there. The general rule, though, is that for Mind or Fire Control you should compare the T2 blast to the damage of the procced hold. f the Hold does more damage, you can drop the T2 blast. For example here is Dominate with 6 damage procs, assuming we can put two purple damage procs there:

image.png.7121f595025f6c6e225c110b24a7e735.png

Here is Power Push assuming we went with two damage procs:

image.png.c8ec43b9e88f8d08317f6d223ae1b2aa.png

On top of this, Dominate holds your enemies, while Power Push knocks them back. I'd go with Dominate if there's any way you can. Keep in mind I'm assuming you have enough global accuracy and +ToHit to make procced out Dominate land. You may need Tactics/Kismet. There is some minor +ToHit in Link Minds to assist as well. 

(For anyone reading this not playing Mind Control, you'd need to factor in the cast time of your hold to see if this tradeoff is worth it. Domination and Power Push have the same cast time, so procced out Dominate does more DPA than Power Push if you cover its accuracy with external buffs.)

• Power Blast: Even if you don't proc Dominate, drop this. Replace with Power Push if not proccing. Or replace both with procced Dominate.
  • Sniper Blast: Deserves a second damage proc. This is your heaviest hitter, and in a snipe it will proc frequently.
  • Power Burst: I'd not skip this. 
  • Power Bolt: You won't be casting this. Zero slots.
  • Assault: Is almost never worth it. Taking Tactics on the other hand may be viable if you want to underslot other powers (to fill them with procs e.g.) 

Ok I looked into what you were talking about, and do see some of the things. First I did have Dominate in my build so I'm confused on what you were talking about, but, I did do the proc thing and can see the results.

I dropped power push AND Power Push to fit Power Burst in this way I stay close on the numbers on def/res.

Sniper Blast noted.

Power Bolt dmg is mediocre anyways no argument from me.

Changed out I can see the need for increased acc/to hit vs minor dmg that can be procc'ed to achieve better results.

Dropped a Def proc %res to include instead the Kismet proc.

Build below with changes.

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.6
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Dominate -- NrnSht-Dam%(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(3), UnbCns-Dam%(3), GldNet-Dam%(5), GldJvl-Dam%(21), Apc-Dam%(42)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(5)
Level 6: Confuse -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(7), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(9), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(11)
Level 8: Fly -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 10: Mass Hypnosis -- FrtHyp-Sleep(A), FrtHyp-Sleep/Rchg(11), FrtHyp-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(15), FrtHyp-Acc/Rchg(17), FrtHyp-Sleep/EndRdx(17)
Level 12: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13), LucoftheG-Def(13), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(21)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(15)
Level 16: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Total Domination -- SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprDmnGrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(19), SprDmnGrs-EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(23), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(43)
Level 20: Tough -- HO:Ribo(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(23), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(25), GldArm-3defTpProc(25)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(27), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(27), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(40), GssSynFr--Build%(46)
Level 26: Terrify -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(29), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(31), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(31)
Level 28: Total Focus -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(37), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Hct-Acc/Rchg(37), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42)
Level 30: Power Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Mass Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(33), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(33), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(33), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(34), CrcPrs-Conf%(34)
Level 35: Link Minds -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def(36), HO:Membr(42)
Level 38: Power Burst -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Mind Over Body -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 44: Psionic Tornado -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(45), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Dam%(46), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)
Level 47: Sniper Blast -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(48), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(48), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), StnoftheM-Dam%(50), GldJvl-Dam%(50)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(40), Mrc-Rcvry+(43)
Level 1: Stamina -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(39), PrfShf-End%(40)
------------

4 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

Power Burst is too good of a power not to take plus it synergizes well with Total Focus.  The last three powers in Energy Assault should not be skipped with Power Burst being the best in the class.  Power Blast can be dropped after level 30.  

As far as aoe @oedipus_tex is right you'll want at least a little aoe.  I usually will look to pull good aoe damage from the epic pools plus I also proc Total Domination with the purple and gladiator procs which detonate quite nice thanks to the longer recharge of the power for some decent aoe damage.  

And this my friend is why I post my builds, so I can get the info I need to see if it is favorable with my play style, makes sense, or is something I did not know about or missed.

• Like 1

This is looking very nice. Great job.

With a few minor tweaks I pushed the numbers a bit higher:

image.thumb.png.f462298ed6f3b00001aae3b3246921ac.png

This would give you 32 to Smash/Lethal/Melee, so if you eat a Purple you're capped to those. You're still capped to Range full time. This also pushes your Smash/Lethal resist to around 53%. In addition, you pick up a bit more slow resist, and kb protection in case you get knocked out of dom mode.

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.6.0
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Dominate -- NrnSht-Dam%(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(7), UnbCns-Dam%(7), GldNet-Dam%(9), GldJvl-Dam%(9), Apc-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(11)
Level 6: Confuse -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(13), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(15), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(17)
Level 8: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(17)
Level 10: Mass Hypnosis -- FrtHyp-Plct%(A), FrtHyp-Sleep/Rchg(19), FrtHyp-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(19), FrtHyp-Acc/Rchg(21), FrtHyp-Sleep/EndRdx(21)
Level 12: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(23), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(23)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(25), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 16: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Total Domination -- BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(25), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(27), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(27)
Level 20: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(29)
Level 24: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--Build%(33)
Level 26: Terrify -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(33), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(34), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(34)
Level 28: Total Focus -- Hct-Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(36), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(36), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37)
Level 30: Power Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Mass Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(37), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(39), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(39), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(39), CrcPrs-Conf%(40)
Level 35: Link Minds -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(40), HO:Membr(40)
Level 38: Power Burst -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(43)
Level 41: Mind Over Body -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(43), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45)
Level 44: Psionic Tornado -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(45), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), PstBls-Dam%(46), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)
Level 47: Sniper Blast -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(48), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(48), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), StnoftheM-Dam%(50), GldJvl-Dam%(50)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 1: Stamina -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(5), PrfShf-End%(5)
------------

• Thanks 1

Oh something I just missed:

While slotting the single target Confuse this way is technically fine, that proc has a +global damage proc attached to it that is very nice slotted somewhere you can proc it reliably. Mind Control unfortunately has no obvious options. You could, however, move that to the AoE sleep with a plan to spam it, because its pretty sure to fire there. Then you could change the ST Confuse slotting to a set like Malaise's Illusions. That puts you just a tiny bit underperma dom. However if you're taking Destiny: Ageless and proccing the +Recharge in Psinado you're back at permadom again. Just another option to consider. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

And this my friend is why I post my builds, so I can get the info I need to see if it is favorable with my play style, makes sense, or is something I did not know about or missed.

If you've played the new Energy Melee with its mechanic it is pretty much the same thing with how Total Focus interacts with Power Burst.  When you can you lead with Total Focus which automatically builds a release for Power Burst that adds 2/3 more damage to it.  Its a very strong 1-2 combo then I follow it with the Snipe.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

• +5 Smash
  • +5 Lethal
  • +5 Melee
  • +5 Ranged
  • +5 Psi

= 25 Defense

Thats 25/5 = 5% defense.  The check is vs the highest defense you have, vs what the attack contains when thrown at you.  Smash/Lethal defense will check vs Eng Blast/Melee, Ice Blast/Melee, Dark Melee, and Fire Melee with some fire blast; while Dark Blast and most of fire blast will bypass it.

If you meant 5 types, yeah.  It is a salad toss of what a mob gang throws at you, whats listed won't protect you vs Fire Breath or some PBAoE which off the top of my head is rare that it is not a split damage type.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

13 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Thats 25/5 = 5% defense.  The check is vs the highest defense you have, vs what the attack contains when thrown at you.  Smash/Lethal defense will check vs Eng Blast/Melee, Ice Blast/Melee, Dark Melee, and Fire Melee with some fire blast; while Dark Blast and most of fire blast will bypass it.

If you meant 5 types, yeah.  It is a salad toss of what a mob gang throws at you, whats listed won't protect you vs Fire Breath or some PBAoE which off the top of my head is rare that it is not a split damage type.

I understand what you are saying. You are correct that it isn't +25 versus a single roll. It's still +25 to your overall though, and that is what is valuable. 

It's like trying to paint a room, starting from the center. Anytime you get a bonus to multiple defense vectors in a single power you are able to paint a larger overall area. This is what makes even the small looking +5 and +3 or so bonuses in powers like Arctic Fog, Steamy Mists, etc so powerful. They make it possible to paint the whole room without running out of paint.

I wouldn't try to cover multiple defense vectors without Link Minds. You can't, you'll run out of paint before you get there. But the specific combination of Link Minds with Destiny Barrier covers about ~11% toward each vector, which makes soft capping possible.

This is also why the developers need to be very careful about adding any additional bonuses to multiple defense vectors. Each one of those lowers the amount of paint I need to reach all corners of the room. Prior to Destiny Barrier and easy access to +3% from Gladiator's Armor it wasn't generally possible for Dominators. Now it very much is with the right build. If you're taking the Psi pool, the Defensive pool, it makes sense to capitalize on the advantage of a global Defense buff.

A character capped or close to it to Smash, Lethal, Psi, Ranged and Melee is significantly better armored than the old standard, which is either just Ranged or just Smash/Lethal. You have to worry about the odd AoE attack that is none of these, but chasing these values will still give you pretty good En/Neg/Fire/Cold defense just by incidence. 

BTW all this why I think the Fire and Psi Assault secondary sets are so valuable. It's a house of cards situation. These sets give you great endurance tools, which means you don't have to make up for that with Destiny. That in turn opens up Destiny Barrier. That, it follows, allows you to paint the room that extra 5 points toward the defense you want, opening up the possibility of capping to multiple positions that you otherwise couldn't. It's a jenga puzzle where even one piece out place makes the whole thing collapse, but the pieces happen to be there for those sets, and it comes together just because the numbers happen to tip you exactly to the point where you cut damage in half by just adding an extra 5% defense.

Edited by oedipus_tex

I take them and see them as required for my gameplay, but they are more of a nice-to-fallback on for me. Every build I use has Tough/Weave, if not for the durability then the really good global enhancement mules.

1. They can slot mules, both the defence and the resistance sets have really good global enhancements.

2. They are really nice for unlucky moments.

My Mind/Fire/Fire uses Fire Shield + 32.5% ranged defence from sets. I went fire ancillary because the fire "build up" affects it, however I have a 2nd build Mind/Fire/Ice and I'm really liking it (see below)

Mind/En/Ice, I have decent defences thanks to Ice Shield (32.5%+ S/L) and focused my sets on resistance, and I have Hibernate for even more panic button - and absorb proc mule! 

Mind/Martial/Psi, I focused on defence and theme lol. Once again, a nice mix of defence and res thanks to the psi shield and link minds (+ LotG mule!) I am not a fan of the psi-shield honestly, but it's mostly because I hate the visual

Plant/Ice/Mace - honestly, this is just overpowered and I haven't played him in a over a year. S/L def capped and PFF as a slight panic button along with MORE LotG mules. The defences are just extra, but mainly Plant/x is just so powerful, and pretty much guarantees steamrolling most content.