Spines Powerset question

Neiska

Hello Forums,

First off I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section. I wasn't sure where else to put it for a general powerset question.

Anyway! I want to make a Spines character, but I am undecided on which AT or secondary to pair with it. The only thing I know for sure is I don't want a spines/fire brute/farmer. I am unsure what else might shine with it, I might go Bio armor or Ice Armor, but I wanted to ask if there was any other AT or secondary that pairs particularly well with Spines?

I am open to Tankers, Scrappers, Stalkers, even Brutes if it's a different secondary. I just don't want a /fire armor farmer.

If people were wondering, I am hoping to have her be a "general use" character. I dislike making X characters good for Y activities but bad at Z, if that makes sense. 

TLDR - besides spines/fire brutes, are there any other builds that makes Spines shine in particular?

Thanks bunches in advance

• Like 1

It amazes me no one knows about the Archetype section. Scroll past the ATs there's a whole world there.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/43-archetypes/

I took it on a brute but mines a fire farmer.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

On live I had a Spines/elec. I liked it, and that was the Scrapper version. I would likely go Brute or Tank these days. You can easily cap three of the most often used damage types. Brutes with two damage auras is pretty fun.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

With the stone armor changes making it much more endurance (and non-granite) friendly, a spine/stone combo is looking good, although haven't tried it yet myself.   Double damage aura, and both spines and mud pots have slows (so even a scrapper with no taunt might be okay in not having to deal so much with runners).  Should be both sturdy and have some good damage.

9 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

It amazes me no one knows about the Archetype section. Scroll past the ATs there's a whole world there.

How many posts would you want to make, to look for a character with anything with spines animation, in every sub forum?  

Spines/ Brute

/Spines Tank

Spines/ Scrapper

Spines/ Stalker

/Thorn Assault Dominator

/Plant Manipulation Blaster

Or ask in general to narrow it down to AT?  Than look for a build in the AT forum, as right now you can't make a Spines/Earth Scrapper but brute and tank both have earth armor.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

20 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

How many posts would you want to make, to look for a character with anything with spines animation, in every sub forum?  

Or ask in general to narrow it down to AT?  Than look for a build in the AT forum, as right now you can't make a Spines/Earth Scrapper but brute and tank both have earth armor.

There's actually a general section too! That's where I asked for advice on the best AT/set for a praetorian completionist! It's quite handy!

(Not piling on you Neiska, just answering the question in this post)

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

10 hours ago, Neiska said:

besides spines/fire brutes, are there any other builds that makes Spines shine in particular?

I think my "shine" and your "shine" are entirely differently.

I don't have a character conception currently to match a spines/fire.

It would be sacrilege to make the Burning Bush! And I don't think I would want to play the Fiery Porcupine.

The first CoH character I made was a Spines/Regen scrapper. Wasn't my first 50 back in the day, but they did end up making it to 50 before the sunset.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Spines/ Brute

/Spines Tank

Spines/ Scrapper

Spines/ Stalker

/Thorn Assault Dominator

/Plant Manipulation Blaster

As I said goto the Archetype section click on it, you will see all the AT listed. If you scroll past that there is a General section for ATs, powers, builds, etc.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

On 11/24/2021 at 8:10 PM, Neiska said:

If people were wondering, I am hoping to have her be a "general use" character. I dislike making X characters good for Y activities but bad at Z, if that makes sense.

Oh.  General use.  My first thought was spines/dark armor and see how many toggles you can run at once in actual combat.

Like Toggle Man.   FYI, I actually created this character on Everlasting and he's level 46 so far.  Pathetic single target damage, but OMG I can wreck large groups with the AOE's and procs.

• Haha 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.