What Pairs well with the Sonic Primary (besides Sonic)?

00Troy00

/Dark or /Water are good.  /Dark is particularly good because the tohit debuffs stack well with the resist buffs you give in Sonic Resonance.  The reason I say /Dark and /Water is that both of these sets have a self heal.

What this team needs is more Defenders

Maybe /ice or /psi?  Both slow down foe recharge rates and combined with resist shields will give more time for regeneration between the softer hits you and allies might take.  Both damage types stand out too; cold damage is one of the least resisted overall while psi damage often serves as a weakness to mobs that are otherwise untouchable (Crey Tanks and Paragon Protectors are noticably vunerable to psi for instance) and Sonic's -Res effects can help capitalize on that.  Ice is also super proccable if you want to go full ham on Defender damage while Psi is a fun bag of tricks with a lot of extra effects.

Another idea is /pistols.  Chemical Ammo in particular gives your attacks a damage debuff which will further reduce incoming damage with the sonic shields.  You can also switch up your secondary effects as needed in case slows, defense debuffs, or just plain more damage are more useful.

Really though I don't think there's a wrong answer here (aside from maybe Assault Rifle).  They'll all work out in some capacity.

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

As you are seeing from this thread many secondaries can work well.  And finding the one that works for you and your playstyle may have more to do with the 'success' of your character than which exact pairing you go with.

Mine was part of a static, themed group I ran with friends.  1 scrapper and 4 defenders, mine being a Sonic/Dark defender.  While our group faded out as we moved to other characters I did get mine to 50.  Dark these days could also see a lot of proc potential if you wanted to go that way.

I like /Psy, /Earth, /Rad, /Dark, and most importantly, /Water on Sonic, if youre not doubling up on sonic.

Psy gives you some GNARLY and USEFUL debuffs to throw around. -Res and -Recharge Rate are VERY good to throw around? Plus, it has the most animation synergy with Sonic, you could easily pass them off as the same thematic source.

/Earth and /Rad are a simple, effective source for -def, which compliments -res very naturally. Earth has bigger damage, and is the new hotness around. Meteor is to Earth what Fireball is to Fireblast and what Phantom Army is to Illusion -- you will spec it out so you can cast it as often as you can. Meanwhile Rad has a fair amount of AoEs that help really spread that -def around nicely and complments Sonic primary's -res stuff since MOST of the ttime youll be throwing your -res field on an ally and then nuking the biggest enemy they're smacking.

/Dark doesnt have a HUGE debuff, but the -to hit IS welcome, and it's got Blackstar which basically shuts down ALL targets ability to hit your friends, while ALSO dealing a boatload of damage. You get an aoe stun, a snipe, an immobilize, a self heal... it's got a lot of things people like to have and Soul Noir is still, objectively, the best looking alternate FX on any AT, EVER.

/Elec deserves a healthy mention since -Endurance is NICE. It's not AS good on sonic, since Sonic's whole thing is that it helps you kill things faster and elec's whole thing is that it stops people from doing things INSTEAD of just killing them? So it's like, youre killing things faster than theyre losing Stamina, so youre probably better off with Psy if you want to flat out stop people from doing things? BUT Elec is cool and im sure there's situations where'd you want to use it over psy (though I cant think of any myself).

/Water is where it's at though, since Water Jet is SILLY and Geyser is B O N K E R S. There's few funner things than setting up Water Jet to be your MAIN attack power, and then just letting it rip. Tidal Power>Water Jet>Water Jet>Whirpool>Steam Spray>Geyser? Or! Tidal Power>Geyser>Whirpool>Steam Spray>Water Jet>Water Jet.

It's just silly, and I love it. 

Resident certified baby