How are Earth/ or /Earth for that matter?

Duck-Smokes-Quack

Hi guys,

I havnt had the ability to play for a long time for reasons I wont go into. I was just checking the forums because it had been a while as was shocked to find I have fully missed i27! Living under a rock 😉 i guess

Earth blaster sounds so appealing to me! But how is it?

• Damage?
  • Animations?
  • Effects?
  • Slotting?

All that jazz

Im not a super crazy min/maxer - but i like to know that the DPS is cometative at least

If anyone has experience with the sets and would care to share their thoughts that would be something amazing to read as a I dream of one day being able to get back to my beloved CoH again 

Thanks!

Earth/ is kinda meh, the nuke animation is... weird, char does the animation then... nothing happens until much later a big rock falls from above. Certainly chars with wormhole are not seismic blast best friends. Earth Manipulation though, I like it. Much better with a melee friendly primary but the powers aand animations are cool. Regarding dmg, what can I say, I've seen builds that deal same dmg as hitting with a fluffy pillow to pass as good builds (see above) so, it's a blaster and blasters hit hard, not much else to consider unless you want to get min / maxing.

Edited by Nightmarer

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

I have found the damage to be on the low end for a blaster, however the powerset flows well, the noted problems with Meteor aside.

On the plus side, the powers in both sets grant that visceral feel, and the knock up on Upthrust is appreciated. The mechanic on the set is also seemless, and the red ring is up by the time Stalagmite is recharged most times...if it is not, my attack chain doesn't suffer as the other ST blasts cycle quickly.

I skipped the T1 and the cone in my final build, but have played with them both when leveling and they are useful, especially the cone if you play with the mechanic.

It is not Fire Blast, nor Ice Blast, it is its own animal and fun to play.

I have only played Seismic Blast.  I made a Seismic/Martial blaster (GREAT combo, especially if you like playing in the middle of mobs).  I have yet to play /Earth Manipulation.

I love Seismic blast!  It's a lot of fun.  It does smashing damage and since smashing is resisted by a lot of mobs (not all, obviously), the overall damage output seems average.  

There is lots of knockdown, which is great.  The animations are mostly the "alternate" animations for other blast sets - while they generally aren't my first choice, they do not bother me with this set and they seem to fit.  I love the cone's animation when you have Seismic Shockwaves going - punching a rock and the exploding shards hit your foes and knock them down.  It's great!  🙂

People above have mentioned the timing of a few powers.... 

Upthrust (ranged AOE)... You punch the ground and send a shockwave (that you can see) going on the ground from where you punched to your target and then a huge rocks thrust up from the ground to damage your foes and knock them down.  It's a great animation.  However, the damage (and aggro, thankfully!) is timed with the actual damage of the rocks being thrust up (as it should be).  So, the further away your target is, the longer it takes for the damage to occur and thusly, the closer they are, the less time it takes (melee range is almost instantaneously).  Most people view this delay as bad, but it's actually useful - you can then queue up other attacks to hit at the same time to have a more devastating alpha strike.  In attack-chain combat, I notice no issue in any delay, but being /Martial, I'm in the middle of the mob anyway.   

Meteor (Nuke)...  People love or hate it.  I am on  the side of loving it.  🙂  Yes, there is a delay upon casting it before the meteor comes to smash the mob and scatter them across the map (literally - the KB is unreal - and I LOVE it).  But again, with the delay, you can queue up other attacks to time the damage to hit before or on the Meteor strike.  You can get a full Sniper Shot off in time as well, if you choose.  If you've used Build Up or Aim (as you should), most things die outright so the KB isn't an issue.  Any survivors are easily picked off.  Yes, people have reported mobs being knocked through a wall on a kill all and they had to reset.  I've played a lot of content so far with mine, lots of cave maps, sewers, and etc and have not run into this once yet.  So I think it is a rare occurrence.  And even Nova (Energy Blast) or Storm powers still to this day knock things through walls.  So again, I don't think it's an issue with the power - just a couple maps (that you may not even encounter) that have holes in their walls. 

In summary... I like the set.  It plays well.  Does decent damage despite being smashing damage.  And it's just fun.  ...all in my opinion, anyway.  🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1