Fire Melee Revamp (For Funsies)

Let me start off by saying I personally don't feel like Fire Melee is in dire need of a revamp as much as it might need a few number buffs, but I wanted to have a little fun and try to put a fresh coat of paint on it. Ok, well maybe not a completely fresh coat of paint, more like painting over red paint with maroon paint.

So how did I do that? Well, obviously with gimmicks.

This is using the Scrapper version as a base. A power with no additional text is unchanged.

Heat - As you attack, you build up incredible Heat, greatly increasing your damage, but also making your attacks cost more endurance, up to 5 stacks (+5% DMG, for a total of 25%). These stacks expire quickly. (This would be a new auto power that activates whenever you land attacks. And when I mean the stacks expire quickly, I mean probably about as fast as Blood Frenzy stacks expire. I picture the increase in endurance cost affecting only Fire Melee powers and not globally across your character.)

Scorch

Fire Sword

Cremate

Overheat - Build Up. Grants 5 stacks of heat while also increasing damage and slightly increasing your chance to hit for a short time. (+75% DMG, +20% Tohit)

Burst of Flame - You charge an large amount of heat and release it in front of you in a Burst of Flame, searing up to 10 targets in a 60* arc in front of you. Deals a moderate amount of fire damage. At 5 stacks of Heat, arc is increased to 120*. (I'm in the camp that doesn't really like Breath of Fire. It's not a whole lot of reward for the lining up you have to do. This new power would feel a lot like Jacobs Ladder, while realizing its full potential as an AoE as your ability to build Heat improves.)

Confront

Fire Sword Circle

Incinerate - When you have 5 stacks of Heat, Incinerate will start applying a damage resistance debuff (-15%) for a short time. (With the resistance debuff in play, I see this becoming more of an opener to your offense after using Overheat.)

Greater Fire Sword

• Thanks 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

I don't think there is currently tech for "increased endurance cost only for some powers."  I mean, I guess that's not totally true, you could make an effect of Fiery melee powers be to remove your own endurance, but that is different from endurance cost: if Fire Sword's cost is 6.864 endurance and it also has an effect that costs you another 5 endurance, then:

a.  You'll be able to activate the power if you only have 6.864 endurance, and the effect would do nothing (you'd be at 0 endurance which is the floor).

b.  Endurance reduction would only affect the 6.864 -- the other 5 endurance would be affected by endurance modification (if endmod were allowed in the power and the effect was not flagged to ignore it -- also I think endmod would affect it opposite from the direction you'd want it to).

You don't have any way to expend Heat, unless you meant incinerate and burst of flame to do so?

13 minutes ago, aethereal said:

I don't think there is currently tech for "increased endurance cost only for some powers."  I mean, I guess that's not totally true, you could make an effect of Fiery melee powers be to remove your own endurance, but that is different from endurance cost: if Fire Sword's cost is 6.864 endurance and it also has an effect that costs you another 5 endurance, then:

a.  You'll be able to activate the power if you only have 6.864 endurance, and the effect would do nothing (you'd be at 0 endurance which is the floor).

b.  Endurance reduction would only affect the 6.864 -- the other 5 endurance would be affected by endurance modification (if endmod were allowed in the power and the effect was not flagged to ignore it -- also I think endmod would affect it opposite from the direction you'd want it to).

You don't have any way to expend Heat, unless you meant incinerate and burst of flame to do so?

Not having a way to expend it was intended. In my head, it should be a challenge to build Heat and keep it up, hence the stacks expiring quickly and your attacks costing more end as you build up stacks. Maybe in practice they would have to drop off a little quicker than Blood Frenzy, but the intention was for Heat to "ramp up" your damage and make you fight to keep it there.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

1 minute ago, Lazarillo said:

I feel like sets are a little too gimmick-crazy as-is these days.

I can agree with that. At the end of the day, Fire Melee probably just needs a slight numbers buff but I wanted to have a little fun with it.

• Thanks 1

You forgot the most important gimmick of all:

"No Weapon Option"

• Thumbs Up 4

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Respectfully.. revamps are terrible ideas.

Why not make a new power set and have some fun with it? Like Thermal Melee or something catchy to go with a janky new crazier combo mechanic gimmick.

I get that some existing players get interested in a revamped set. Reworking Fire Melee is not going to draw lots of new players.

Revamps do piss people off though and drive players away. That shouldn't be the goal, should it?

But hey, with how Dark went sideways,

I would look forward to the heated interactions on the topic.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 12/9/2021 at 3:14 PM, Spaghetti Betty said:

Heat - As you attack, you build up incredible Heat, greatly increasing your damage, but also making your attacks cost more endurance, up to 5 stacks (+5% DMG, for a total of 25%). These stacks expire quickly. (This would be a new auto power that activates whenever you land attacks. And when I mean the stacks expire quickly, I mean probably about as fast as Blood Frenzy stacks expire. I picture the increase in endurance cost affecting only Fire Melee powers and not globally across your character.)

Scorch

[GET RID OF] Fire Sword

Cremate

Overheat - Build Up. Grants 5 stacks of heat while also increasing damage and slightly increasing your chance to hit for a short time. (+75% DMG, +20% Tohit)

Burst of Flame - You charge an large amount of heat and release it in front of you in a Burst of Flame, searing up to 10 targets in a 60* arc in front of you. Deals a moderate amount of fire damage. At 5 stacks of Heat, arc is increased to 120*. (I'm in the camp that doesn't really like Breath of Fire. It's not a whole lot of reward for the lining up you have to do. This new power would feel a lot like Jacobs Ladder, while realizing its full potential as an AoE as your ability to build Heat improves.)

Confront

[GET RID OF] Fire Sword Circle

Incinerate - When you have 5 stacks of Heat, Incinerate will start applying a damage resistance debuff (-15%) for a short time. (With the resistance debuff in play, I see this becoming more of an opener to your offense after using Overheat.)

[GET RID OF] Greater Fire Sword

You had me at your get rid of list (see above).  I could not agree more.

Who run Bartertown?

16 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

You had me at your get rid of list (see above).  I could not agree more.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:52 PM, Aurora_Girl said:

"No Weapon Option"

Also, I like elemental weapons. I don't want to see them go away.

1 hour ago, Troo said:

Why not make a new power set and have some fun with it? Like Thermal Melee or something catchy to go with a janky new combo mechanic gimmick.

I get that some existing players get interested in a revamped set they may not play much or at all. Reworking Fire Melee is not going to draw lots of new players.

Revamps do piss people off and drive players away. As in quit. That shouldn't be the goal, should it?

But hey, with how Dark Melee went sideways,

I look forward to the heated interactions between the HC team and the fire melee folks.

Yes and yes. Revamps and buffs can go wrong equally. I'm also working on an essay on why Fault dealing damage has Stone Melee overperforming a bit. The "gimmick" (there's that dirty word again) that I'm proposing would be even less intrusive than storing focus as an Energy Melee.

But like I said before, I'm just having a bit of fun.

Edited by Spaghetti Betty

1 hour ago, Troo said:

Why not make a new power set and have some fun with it? Like Thermal Melee or something catchy to go with a janky new combo mechanic gimmick.

I get that some existing players get interested in a revamped set they may not play much or at all. Reworking Fire Melee is not going to draw lots of new players.

Revamps do piss people off and drive players away. As in quit. That shouldn't be the goal, should it?

But hey, with how Dark Melee went sideways,

I look forward to the heated interactions between the HC team and the fire melee folks.

lolwut

Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

23 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Also, I like elemental weapons. I don't want to see them go away.

See: "Option"

🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Yes and yes. Revamps and buffs can go wrong equally. I'm also working on an essay on why Fault dealing damage has Stone Melee overperforming a bit. The "gimmick" (there's that dirty word again) that I'm proposing would be even less intrusive than storing focus as an Energy Melee.

But like I said before, I'm just having a bit of fun.

No worries here, have your funsies.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum