Where special IO's are not to be used

Diantane

On 12/10/2021 at 2:22 PM, Diantane said:

Last night a player had a WP tank that I once tried, but just couldn't take alphas past level 30 and he was abandoned. Told him about it and he said that he added a bunch of IO's to fix the defense holes. That may have worked some, but you don't "fix" a bad AT with expensive IO's. Use them to make good AT better. This adds true value to your character.

The fact is - the player that had the WP tank that you once tried - is not the same tank as yours. 

Both are the tank archetype. Both had WP primaries. Maybe you both had the same secondaries as well! But they are not the same tank. 

They are not the same because you, and that other player are not the same. The way you play, and the way you slot your characters are likely to be different. This other fellow that added a bunch of IOs - he improved his defenses. Regardless of where he stood on the bad/good spectrum, adding defense makes his character better. And well, WP - it's pretty decent with haphazard slotting. With proper slotting, it's quite good. 

And just in case you didn't know, there are no "Bad ATs". It's entirely too subjective. I think a warshade is crap. But the MFin' Warshade folks will vehemently disagree. (Dechs Kaison, the initial genius behind that "brand" of warshade, if memory serves.") 
I don't think warshades or PBs have enough slots to really enjoy the utility of a tri-from kheldian. Just my opinion. Doesn't make me correct. 

I also think an ice/ice blaster is the "best" AT in the game. But, the numbers are pretty clear that fire/fire is slightly better. But - a good ice blaster is better than a bad fire blaster. 
When someone tells you "that AT is trash", what they really are saying is, "I don't play that AT well. It's not suited to my style". 

There is no best in CoH. It's all subjective. I would venture that some folks can play any and every avatar in this game, maybe even my own characters better than I can. They have faster reflexes, perhaps more experience in certain content than I do. I might think a poison defender is unworthy of a slot space in my 1000 slot allotment. Some claim them to be a force multiplier against AVs. Doesn't matter to me if they are weak in damage against even con foes in the teen levels. I won't get high enough to face AVs unless I PL them, and what's the fun in that? (for me)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 3:22 PM, Diantane said:

Last night a player had a WP tank that I once tried, but just couldn't take alphas past level 30 and he was abandoned. Told him about it and he said that he added a bunch of IO's to fix the defense holes. That may have worked some, but you don't "fix" a bad AT with expensive IO's. Use them to make good AT better. This adds true value to your character.

Last week a player made a forum post that I read, but just couldn't take seriously given his past 30 posts and stopped mid way. Others told him about it and he said that he was erudite and added a bunch of random COH words to fix the knowledge holes. That may have sounded learned, but you don't "fix" the lack of knowledge with COH mechanics buzz words. Use actual experience to make good forum posts better. This adds true value to your post.

• Haha 1

STOP BULLYING Y'ALL THAT'S MEAN

• Haha 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

The OP has openly stated they aren't willing to invest in characters enough to make the claims that they keep doing so. About the only use in replying to their threads is to boost one's own rep.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

GM’s maybe it’s time to put this thread to bed as well.

• Like 2

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)