Where special IO's are not to be used

Diantane

20 hours ago, Diantane said:

tank

20 hours ago, Diantane said:

you don't "fix" a bad AT with expensive IO's. Use them to make good AT better.

Did ...

Did you ...

Did you just assert that Tanks are a Bad AT?

Because that's just ...

... I mean, I've been giving you the benefit out the doubt since your first posts over a year ago, but saying Tanks are Bad portrays an egregious lack of understanding about how this game works and the current state of the "meta*."

Or it's just straight trolling.

Have you played anything past 50 yet?

"Tanks are bad."  I ... I just can't even ...

9b5.jpg

* - As much as I dislike the application of the term 'meta' to the part of a game regarding building characters, how abilities or whatever the analog may be interact, making mechs, or whatever, because those things are part of the game not something "about the game."  Still it is the term we have, so I'm stuck and it's a semantic nuance anyway, which is a silly thing for me to bent about, and yet ... 🤣

Edited by InvaderStych
minor editorial
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

42 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Has Di ever found ANYTHING that he likes about the game? (Well, anything except coming to the forum and complaining, anyway...)

I don't know, but I'm so glad we have them around to tell us we're playing the game wrong.  Here I was, having tons of fun, not realizing that I wasn't supposed to be!

Sorry not sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let’s not bully Diantane. There maybe reasons we don’t know of for why they post like this. Prove them wrong for sure but don’t get too personal, I’m not a huge fan of targeted memes etc. We are better then that!

• Thumbs Up 3

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

43 minutes ago, GM Kal said:

it is supposed to be fun.

You're doing it wrong.  You're supposed to be a "dedicated GM", not encouraging people to have fun.  Your PBAoE ban should be on auto.  You should only lock threads, not post in them, as posting is an incorrect use of your powers.  You probably completely screwed up your slotting by using the GM procs and globals, too.  And while we're at it, the GM archetype is garbage anyway, so why anyone would make one is a mystery, you're probably better off just using a different AT to get the job done.

Jeez.  Stop holding back the team and get with the program.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

9 minutes ago, Luminara said:

You're doing it wrong.  You're supposed to be a "dedicated GM", not encouraging people to have fun.  Your PBAoE ban should be on auto.  You should only lock threads, not post in them, as posting is an incorrect use of your powers.  You probably completely screwed up your slotting by using the GM procs and globals, too.  And while we're at it, the GM archetype is garbage anyway, so why anyone would make one is a mystery, you're probably better off just using a different AT to get the job done.

Jeez.  Stop holding back the team and get with the program.

When you're serving your 30-day I'll keep the flames alive. 

• Haha 3

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

32 minutes ago, Peacemoon said:

Let’s not bully Diantane. There maybe reasons we don’t know of for why they post like this. Prove them wrong for sure but don’t get too personal, I’m not a huge fan of targeted memes etc. We are better then that!

As much as I despise misinformation and false facts, I agree with the above quote.

1 hour ago, GM Kal said:

Just a reminder:
Please be polite to each other.

We are talking about video games, it is supposed to be fun.

Thank you!

I'm sorry, but when someone has done nothing but make obvious troll thread after obvious troll thread after obvious troll thread then it's obvious that they are deliberately baiting people on the forums in an attempt to get people banned. Why is this allowed?

Despite obvious troll being obvious, many people having been taking these threads seriously and have been giving good advice in an honest attempt to help this person. Others have been trying to persuade this person to actually listen to the advice through mild derision. A tactic which people have been using since the dawn of time to get the ignorant to actually listen to good advice because it works.

And then we get threatened by a GM? People who are actually trying to help this person, who clearly needs help, get threatened by a GM. What's next? Am I going to getting banned if I critique someone's build and offer advice on how to improve it? This kind of heavy-handedness kills forums, because people get too worried to post anything. Is that what you want?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

55 minutes ago, Diantane said:

It’s just that I prefer to make a good thing better than a bad thing.

To be frank, I don't think you have a good handle on what's bad, good, or great.  If you are quitting characters in their 30s and haven't invested in them chances are that they will be somewhere between bad and good, regardless of AT and powersets.

Any AT, any powerset, and I'd go so far as to say any combination of powersets, can be great with the right build and playstyle.  I'm not talking about intentionally gimping yourself by playing something like a petless mastermind or otherwise purposely making questionable power and slotting choices.  And I'm also not saying that all ATs and all powersets all play the same and can do it all and be great from level 1.

But I can tell you with confidence because I have done it: any AT, any combination of powersets, can solo most content at +1/x8 or higher by level 50.  By any reasonable standard that can't be bad.  And by my standards that is great.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

I’m not putting down the IO system. It’s just that I prefer to make a good thing better than a bad thing. That kind of gets you to a higher result.

What’s better, 100 + 40 or 75 + 40?

Every armor set has a hole, be it a defensive or resistance one. So calling out WP's defensive hole as if Radiation Armor, Bio, Invulnerability, or any other set does not have one is questionable.

The IO system is one way to address holes, particularly defensive/resistance holes. 

Addressing holes makes a good thing (everything else the powerset gives you) better.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

And then we get threatened by a GM? People who are actually trying to help this person, who clearly needs help, get threatened by a GM. What's next? Am I going to getting banned if I critique someone's build and offer advice on how to improve it? This kind of heavy-handedness kills forums, because people get too worried to post anything. Is that what you want?

Not sure what you're smoking but it must be hitting hard. Get off your high horse for two seconds and re-read what the GM wrote. In what Twitterverse do you live in when a request to stay civil is seen as a threat?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

Every armor set has a hole, be it a defensive or resistance one. So calling out WP's defensive hole as if Radiation Armor, Bio, Invulnerability, or any other set does not have one is questionable.

The IO system is one way to address holes, particularly defensive/resistance holes. 

Addressing holes makes a good thing (everything else the powerset gives you) better.

If anything, I'd say wp is the most hole-less of armors. I know the description says it can't take alphas as well, but with IO's, you're at cap with S/L resists and softcap with everything else with defense. Maybe psi/toxic won't be maxed but you'll have something which is more than can be said for other armors. There are armors with better overall layering (cap on resist or def and higher def or resist to boot) but they come with bigger holes than wp. It's just a complicated and weird one to build since you are after a bit of everything. Need s/l resist, need e/n/f/c defense, need +hp, need regen. Rather than a lot of just one or two things. 

3 hours ago, Diantane said:

It’s just that I prefer to make a good thing better than a bad thing.

Would you be willing to expand on what you consider to be "good things" in this game?

Because, really, giving up on a Tank in the 30s because it "can't soak an alpha" is barely scratching the surface of what that Tank may have been capable of achieving.

With minimal investment in commonly used Unique/Global IOs, and sets available below level 30, scrappers can be built to soak x8 Alphas at that age. Easily.

There's also expectation setting.  Trying to tank +4x8 at level 30 on just SOs?  Yeah, that's not likely to happen without team buffs.  Running teams +1/+2 at x(team size) is more realistic with a toon setup like that.  The cold reality is that if you want to run high difficulty content/settings, start getting used to building with IOs as it will be a smoother and much more satisfying experience.  This is not to say that it can't be done, but with that constraint more thought needs to be given to team comp and a little bit of thought before encounters if you want max diff at lvl 30 with no IOs.  Floor will be eaten, but it is possible.

If the desire is to only play top-tier sets for any given AT, then do that - but what is/isn't top-tier will not only change over time, but it can change based on content being faced as well.  The Psi/SD scrapper I frequently use as example is completely useless in a BAF - Siege and Nightstar have 70% Psi resist, and during the Prisoner Phase her only useful powers are Shield Charge, Mass Lev, and Laser Beam Eyes.  So she never BAFs.  Does that make those sets "Bad?" Is she a "Bad" toon?  I mean, I used her to successfully solo DASF on Malicious (in fairness, with some temp power cheese sprinkled on top for Ripplesurge and the last mission), so you tell me?

Willpower's strength is its comprehensive base protections and it's similarly comprehensive anti-mez toggle.  IIRC /WP has the only comprehensive toggle.  The only other sets with protection is as many categories of mez have them as click-shields like Active Defense.

Are there outlier armor sets? Absolutely, on both ends of the "tier" spectrum. 

Are there any "bad" armor sets on a Tank? Not even one.

Sorry, not sorry, but if one is having problems with Tank durability in the current state of the game, it's not the Tank that is the problem.  Absolute Immortality when built properly, and close to 90% of Brute/Scrapper damage depending what sets and how it is built.  Tanks are the GAWDMODE of CoH at the moment.  A tank buff was well deserved, but my, my, my the ludicrous things they can be built to do in the right player's hands.

I know have suggested it in the past, but find a power-set combination you thematically enjoy, run it through the game gradually sprinkling it with Uniques/Globals/ATOs (for certain ATs) and pulling build ideas from here on the forum.  Build as you go.  There is no real reason to wait to 50 to start slotting things that will be in your final build, or things that might be but you're not sure and want to see how they feel.

In other words, pull the most enjoyable toon you've made to date out of the stable and build it up to be as "strong" as it can possibly be.

Then re-evaluate the state of the game.  Maybe you decide the post-50 game isn't where it is at for you.  Maybe you are one of the hundreds of players that prefer the mid-level experience, then choose your mission difficulties and build your toons to suit the experience you seek.  Nothing at all wrong with that. 

But these wild, vague assertions based on what I can only assume are "in-the-moment" bouts of frustration aren't doing you or the forums any favors.

Edited by InvaderStych
editorial
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Would you be willing to expand on what you consider to be "good things" in this game?

There is not much point in insisting. By his own admission in another thread he has no levels 50, he has no cash to invest in slotting, and he has no interest in builds. What Dian speaks of is his opinion as someone playing ultra casually on some randomly slotted build with SOs mingled with DOs.

And all of it would be fine and understandable were it not for his occasional pontificating on the forums as he drops pearls of wisdom...

...without owning a level 50.

...without using the IO system.

...with no mastery of an AT or power set since he's constantly making new alts.

2 minutes ago, Sovera said:

There is not much point in insisting.

Yeah, I know.  And my attempt at a humorous response in this thread aside, I would really like to help them out.

I've been trying to write detailed, helpful replies to these threads since Sept. 2020 - albeit with some, perhaps ill-advised, attempts at light forum humor sprinkled in there and here.  Those likely worked in counter to my attempts to be helpful, but I'm an Old Sinner, and freely admit it, so set your expectations on my ability to be a "good forum denizen" on that.

Still, I realize I am just parroting the same advice given back then.

So at this point, I should probably admit the following:

On 12/10/2021 at 1:03 PM, The_Warpact said:

And honestly I'm the dumbass for even responding.

Yeah. Me too. 😛

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

We still must fight the good fight @InvaderStych

• Thanks 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter