Thoughts on the value of -Rech Resistance?

InvaderStych

Hmm ... How to pose this question without my usual "wall of text" verbosity and needless backstory, lol ...

-- Plenty of us are usually building for large quantities of global recharge on plenty of toons.

-- Recharge debuffs are actually more common than they appear at a glance.  Psi usually has some amount in it, anything with cold, etc.

-- Conversely, I might be overly sensitive to them due to the way one of my most played toons is built, lol.

-- It is actually not that difficult to get +/- 100% rech/spd resistance without that much slot investment or sacrificing other build goals.

But how valuable might that actually be, theoretically?

Do these resistances work like regen resist (reduces effectiveness) or status resist (reduces duration)?

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I think a lot people in the know build for recharge resist. The people that blindly follow conventional wisdom from a decade ago are still clinging onto purples as the way to go.

In addition to not having your recharge neutered, the ability to get out of a caltrops/slow patch quickly is immensely satisfying when your teammates are scrambling to run slow motion out of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

I always try to maximize it as a secondary goal. Most of my builds are 80+, or at least 60+. It can be a real killer, and the winter sets not only provide it with few slots, but also provide excellent enhancement per slot value while grabbing the bonus. I typically use winter sets as the base enhancement foundation for powers I'm proccing out.

• Thanks 1

Thanks folks.

I suspected there might be some value in getting to 100% against -rech/-spd, but without knowing much about the mechanics behind it, I wasn't sure.

I've always put some value into the stat; Winter's Gift is SOP in a travel power slot, for example, but anything above that was usually incidental from slotting up with a Winter set or two. 

I first got the notion working up a Svg/Invul Scrapper where Leap was a crucial part of the chain and I wanted to try getting immunity to -rech.  Never finished it out in game though.  While spinning up a spines/regen for an SG'mate I had the notion that extreme -rech resist would be Very Good (tm) for Regen. 🙂

Not sure which toon I'll end up trying this out with first; every time I sit down to tune my Psi/SD I cannot find changes I can stomach, lol.  I'll try out something with full -rech/-spd resist, in game, at some point though.

----

I'm also toying with the idea of experimenting with 100% status resistance in the absence of actual magnitude protection.  Some are easy to cap - like Sleep, for example, others I suspect cannot be capped, but it would an interesting experiment.

I find it highly valuable for certain builds that rely on a quick recharging power and draw a lot of aggro.  Capping out slow resistance with dark armor and fire armor tanks seems more useful against certain content than investing in more defense without any DDR to protect it.  That capped slow resistance can guarantee a consistent cooldown on healing flames or dark regen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes and often it doesn't take much to counter most of the foe -rech and -spd.  The SR scrapper I mentioned above had more than enough just from Quickness where the Regen would often have died if it wasn't for the presence of toggle IH at the time while she tried to sloooowly move out of Quicksand patches the SR barely noticed.  On the otherhand there were definitely a few times where the SR would see the baddies stack enough to make dots out of powers and make running away not an option.  And hence experience the marvelous equivalent my support characters would experience when the mez made fighting back or running problematic.  Fun way to get your butt kicked 😜.  It's a bit like kb protection some is usually enough but every now and then some foes have enough to make 'lots' very desirable.

I only play brutes/tanks/scrappers so in this context, the value of have -recharge resistance depends on the armor set being played

If your survivability is based on Resist only, then -recharge doesn't really do much to you

If your survivability is based on Resist + regular active click heals (Dark Armor, Fire Armor, Radiation Armor) then -recharge might potentially kill you

If your survivability is based on Resist + defense, then -recharge doesn't really do much to you

If your survivability is based on Defense only, then -recharge doesn't really do much to do

However, since -recharge also slows down your attack recharge (aka soft mitigation via knockback, knockdown, disorient, holds, etc) then -recharge might potentially kill you

If you find yourself annoyed that you can't attack, then stacking some -recharge resistance might be good for you (Winter set bonuses, Winter's gift unique in travel power)

If you find yourself not caring that your powers recharge slower cause you're still surviving, then -recharge resistance might not matter to you.

Personally, I always use Dark Armor and slow 100% recharge resistance.  Dark Armor has the fastest and most powerful self heal in the game, therefore -recharge resistance is a must for that armor IMO.  Also, Dark Armor has the highest -End resistance (outside of Electric Armor) that also allows one to laugh at carnie's death mechanic.  Essentially, slotting a Tank's Dark Armor for 100% -recharge resistance, coupled with extremely high -End resistance, and with the fastest recharging and most powerful self heal in the game makes my Dark Armor tank not care about anything except for 1-shot mechanics or unresistable resistance debuffs.  Just my 2 cents/experience.

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 11:21 AM, Parabola said:

To my knowledge 100% res makes you immune to these effects?

Just tested on my Shield/Elec tank, 100% +Res to -Rchg, and yes, it's complete immunity to -Rchg.

• Thanks 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

New data:

Taking my Night Widow through the Lady Winter mission, I noticed that my recharge times were wonky.  I've got 100% resistance to -Recharge, so that shouldn't have been happening.

Her Chill power appears to ignore -Recharge resistance, because my global recharge bonus was dropping by exactly 35% and only when Chill was on the character.

So, apparently, it's not total immunity, or Chill is bugged, or something else is happening.

Edit: she managed to drop my global recharge from 141.25% to 6.25%, and it wasn't stacked Chill.  Definitely something odd going on because that didn't happen on my tanker.

Edited by Luminara

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

So, apparently, it's not total immunity, or Chill is bugged, or something else is happening.

Chill appears to be flagged to ignore resistance:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=event.lady_winter.chill&at=boss_archvillain

But only the -rech, the -spd perhaps isn't?

Looks like her Shiver has -100% also flagged to ignore resistance:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=event.lady_winter.shiver&at=boss_archvillain

Which doesn't explain the difference between the two toons, but it's something, lol.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Chill appears to be flagged to ignore resistance:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=event.lady_winter.chill&at=boss_archvillain

But only the -rech, the -spd perhaps isn't?

Looks like her Shiver has -100% also flagged to ignore resistance:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=event.lady_winter.shiver&at=boss_archvillain

Which doesn't explain the difference between the two toons, but it's something, lol.

Cool, easy answer.  Thank you for digging that up.  The difference between the two characters can probably be chalked up to bad luck on the widow.

• Thumbs Up 1