LFG protocol

Ukase

I would really like team leaders to state in LFG, something like "All full, thanks!"  Or similar, when a team fills.  That way I don't spam you with annoying invite requests.

You don't need to send me a tell, personally.  That's a step too far and I certainly DO NOT expect you to do it.  I have LFG channel open.  I can glance at it periodically to see if you've filled, before and after I respond to an invite.

JMO.  YMMV, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cancrusher said:

I would really like team leaders to state in LFG, something like "All full, thanks!"  Or similar, when a team fills.  That way I don't spam you with annoying invite requests.

You don't need to send me a tell, personally.

I agree.  I always say when the team is full.  I will also send a personal tell if it's manageable.  If one person sent a tell too late, they get a personal reply.  If six people all sent tells at once, not manageable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

18 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I agree.  I always say when the team is full.  I will also send a personal tell if it's manageable.  If one person sent a tell too late, they get a personal reply.  If six people all sent tells at once, not manageable.

I gotta say this: 

I completely understand when the tells come steamrolling in, to the point where you'd have to scroll up, because when you hit backspace, the name that pops up wasn't to the person you intended to reply to. It happens. 

I should have been more clear. 

My beef is when you send a tell to the person recruiting, their message time stamped at 8:00 am, "I'll join, will zone in via LFG". at a point in time - say 8:00 am. Twenty seconds later, I'm in zone, and say "in zone" in a tell. 

And they say nothing. It's just maddening.

Now, in their defense - they did say in LFG that they were full.  That message was put out while I was porting in, apparently. I had to scroll up to find it. It just irks me to no end to stop what I'm doing to help someone and they can't be bothered to reply. I didn't reply in LFG, I sent a tell as requested. They should be able to reply in kind. It's simple. And yeah, sometimes you can get overrun with tells. It just irks me. 

Here's how I put together a group - 

Say XYZ is forming in the LFG channel, has X spots.

I get tells. I go by order received and send invites.

When the group is full, I tell those who sent tells but didn't make it "sorry we are full"

Then I tell the LFG channel XYZ has filled.

And I still get tells afterward "is XYZ still forming?" Which I assume were people who were tabbed out and didn't see the "we are full" message. It happens.

The only bumps I usually see is when I get the "you can't invite an enemy to group," but that is usually easy to fix, and I will wait for them to do so.

The only thing that irks me is when people go "I am omw" and still aren't there 5-10 minutes later. Or ask for invites and are mid-mission and won't leave it. In such a case I usually give a grace period, a few minutes, before I invite someone else. But if I have a ton of people asking for a spot I might say "Sorry you are mid mission and others are ready to go now" and invite someone else.

It's all worked pretty well for me so far.

Edited by Neiska
spelling

On 12/31/2021 at 2:43 PM, Ukase said:

you're entitled to do things the way you wish - just know if you don't adhere to this protocol, I think you're in the wrong. 

Pretty arrogant statement from my point of view.

But you are self-entitled to be full of yourself.

I don't care if I agree with what you have to say or not based on that statement.

Everyone is free to use /LFG as they see fit. (personally, I would prefer that they used /general chat to have general conversation instead of using /help or /lfg but it happens and I accept it or give them a gentle nudge in that direction if it is going on too long)

Use /ignore if you don't like what other players are posting in any /insertchatchannelnamehere

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I just do both when leading, and often ask again as joiner under any such circumstances if I somehow didn't get info in LFG/etc. Don't mind the information not being optimally available, I however expect you to understand that I might sometimes try to get it anyway by trying a bit more.

On a handful very, very rare occasions ended up in situations eg no public reply + no tell reply + no re-tell reply + person getting mad out of the blue on 3rd tell, and i'm sure a lot of people find me nagging in general -- but despite so many things i feel bad about, it's not part of that list!

If anything, the overall failure through lack of communication/reaction far surpasses the reverse problem. When something unexpected or awkward happens, socially, ingame, teaming, or otherwise - ignoring it and blindly pressing W is not a solution and just leads to more awkwardness and failure... In doubt, speak up, especially in a (supposedly) social context, like LFG.

You obviously can't expect anyone to care all the time, but hopefully there's still always someone who does, and others can respect it.