Obtaining Specific Enhancement Sets

Giocondi

Hello All,

If I want to target a specific attuned version of an enhancement, is there a way I can go about doing that efficiently?

For example, if my end goal is any attuned Basilisk's Gaze enhancement, I thought I could start with Paralytic and convert within 'Holds' until I got there, but in practice it was way too much of a converter dump.

Is there some other technique I could use to accomplish this sort of thing?

Thanks,

Gio

• Like 1

Attuned IOs can convert within the entire range of that specific set, so you have a lot more possible results.  If you are trying to get attuned Basilisk to slot I would suggest straight up buying it from /AH as attuned.  If you are looking to convert to Basilisk to sell, I would buy non-attuned, low-level holds or Basilisk recipes.

You certainly can convert attuned pieces, but be prepared for a lot more clicks and converters expended if you are going for a specific set.  The better option when converting attuneds, in my opinion, is to buy the cheapest ones you can find and convert to anything worth selling, not just a specific item.

There are certain set levels that only overlap in very specific IOs.  I don't remember the exact ones but I seem to remember level 31ish being magic for a few of them.  Generally though as a rule you cannot efficiently target a specific IO from any other IO of the same category.  What I would suggest is if you are trying to get the IO for yourself to slot then simply sell all those converters you are using and buy directly from the AH the attuned IO you want.  Way better IMHO.  If the one you want isn't for sale or very low number then buy a different one in the same set and use the "In Set" option in the convert menu to get to the one you want.  Works well with ATOs too since there are certain ones for whatever reason always seem to be in short supply while others have plenty listed.

I was planning on making this one of the topics for my very last marketing guide.

Yes, there are some very efficient paths, and there may be better paths that the ones I have mapped out.

In your specific case (wanting any attuned BG), I would use level 10 Paralytic recipes, which are easy to come by and cheap to craft.  Then one conversion by Hold (2 converter cost) will get you a rare, either a Neuronic Shutdown or a BG.  The NS proc trades well, but any other rare from that set is probably best reconverted.  I have one marketing character that does exactly this.

Anyway, you now have a 50% chance of having an unattuned BG after one conversion, but you want an attuned one.  You can either sell your unattuned on one character and buy at the same price as an attuned on another character and give up the 10% marketing vig.  Or you can spring for a catalyst, which will be more expensive, but very much more convenient.

Who run Bartertown?

Not a direct reply to your question, but when I want a specific attuned IO I have one simple step.

I bid for it on the Auction House.

The most efficient resource to trade for Set IOs of any type is Influence.

You can efficiently use Converters to make IOs of "who the heck cares what" set that people will pay good Inf for and then you use that Inf to buy what you want.

trying to use Converters to flip to something specific is almost always going to be more painful than just making the Inf and using that,

regards, Screwloose.

"I am not young enough to know everything."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ScrewlooseCohh said:

Not a direct reply to your question, but when I want a specific attuned IO I have one simple step.

I bid for it on the Auction House.

The most efficient resource to trade for Set IOs of any type is Influence.

You can efficiently use Converters to make IOs of "who the heck cares what" set that people will pay good Inf for and then you use that Inf to buy what you want.

trying to use Converters to flip to something specific is almost always going to be more painful than just making the Inf and using that,

regards, Screwloose.

"I am not young enough to know everything."

Well, yes and no, depending on supply and your timetable.

If I need an attuned LotG 7.5% (or five) and they are currently selling at 8mm (as in you can expect to buy them there right away), that's one thing.

Or I can put in a bid at, say, 7mm and hope I get filled in short order.

Or I can buy one of the underappreciated ones in the set right now at 5mm, spend an average of 15 converters (worth 1mm), for a net cost of 6mm.  Yes, you could roll that E/R a thousand times and not get what you are looking for, or you could roll it once.  But on average (and in quantity, the averages work out pretty much as you would expect) you're better off, IMO.

(Or I could do what I do and try to buy a bunch of underappreciated ones even lower, roll them all, keep what I need, sell the rest for a net profit.  Buying at full retail prices is a sucker's game unless I know it's me selling on the other end.)

Who run Bartertown?

Sure depends on the actual goal here.  I read the OP as they wanted the IO to slot for themselves not to flip onto the AH.  Hence the idea of buying it directly.  I hadn't considered buying the lower level set recipe, crafting, then catalyst.  I grant that depending on the going market rate this might be cheaper than a buy now price.  Generally for me that is too much effort.  I'd rather use 100 merits to get 300 converters to get roughly 20 mil inf and then just buy whatever I want.  On average probably about the same number of clicks as crafting and converting but for some reason my primal brain prefers the sure thing over the anticipated gamble.  Which is probably why I don't play the lottery 🙃

Edited by iBot
spez

As someone who plays through content more often than not, as opposed to starting the game at 50, I often find the conversion dump annoying when the Attuned IOs cross the "level threshold" from a quick conversion into a longer one, burning more converters. Because of this, when actively playing the character, I'll just buy what I want...until I see the price being more than what I would list for. 
When I'm listing a 7.5% HP Unbreakable Guard for 3M, and now, when I want to buy one, the AH isn't letting any of them go for less than 5M. This is where the principle of the thing gets my dander up, so I'll just gather as many of the appropriate recipes as I can, anywhere from 20 to 50 of them, craft and convert as needed and list all but one just to slow down the greedy  market competitors profits. I'm all for folks making a tidy sum for their trouble - but the margin on that is more than I want to pay, so I'm not gonna pay it. 

But when dealing with attuned, it takes some repetition to determine which IOs cross different levels. Or you can just look in the AH and see. 

It can be annoying to use a different character to re-purchase an attuned version. This is why I try to have my IOs ready, in a bin in my sg for my new characters, so they can just go in and grab them. But sometimes, Mids builds look great at 50, but in the teens and 20's, they are struggling for endurance or something, and you have to adapt. And that's when the AH can be a great convenience. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. The answer is more or less what I expected. I am very familiar with the converter roulette to amass enough influence to buy what you want.

What kind of drove this post was that sometimes, due to whatever reason, certain enhancement sets just seem to sell for way more than they should. And even though I can afford it, that voice inside my head prevents me from spending over my arbitrary threshold for that item.

I think what @Yomo Kimyata first replied gave me precisely what I was looking for. Truth be told I tried to just message you directly with this question but couldn't figure out how to do that, so I just posted here and hoped!

Thank you again everyone for the replies and general discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

As someone who plays through content more often than not, as opposed to starting the game at 50, I often find the conversion dump annoying when the Attuned IOs cross the "level threshold" from a quick conversion into a longer one, burning more converters. Because of this, when actively playing the character, I'll just buy what I want...until I see the price being more than what I would list for. 

I'd like to reiterate this.  I'm still not 100% of the process with attuned, so bear with me.

The upshot is that there is an internal level that you cannot see beforehand, and that level reassigns on conversion.  If you convert a lvl 15 Kismet +Acc by Defense a billion times, you will never ever get an LotG 7.5%, because LotG does not go down to lvl 15.  But if you convert an attuned Kismet, you may get one on the very first try.  But the odds are terrible.  When I'm converting to make something, I always work off a level that minimizes the number of clicks I need to do.  You can fish for Unbreakable Guards off lvl 30 Reactive Armors, but at that level you can get every Resist Damage IO in the book.  There's better spots.

I use almost exclusively attuned IOs in my builds, well, because I like the way they look.  Playing rare roulette with attuned IOs is truly roulette, and you can end up with anything in the class!  But the odds are terrible, so I only do it for experiments.  What I do all the time though is buy cheap attuned IOs in the set I want and convert them into the attuned IOs I want if I think it's significantly cheaper and/or faster.

Who run Bartertown?

On 1/6/2022 at 9:40 AM, Giocondi said:

I think what @Yomo Kimyata first replied gave me precisely what I was looking for. Truth be told I tried to just message you directly with this question but couldn't figure out how to do that, so I just posted here and hoped!

Nothing but the utmost respect and regard for Yomo - but I think it's always helpful to ask even stupid questions here, because there are a lot of people who lurk, but never post - for reasons of their own. If we all were to just send direct messages to the person we want to ask a question to, there'd be a lot less information available for everyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Although my brilliant research in brain transplantation is unsurpassed and will probably make my name live beyond eternity, I agree that posting it here is useful.  I'm always happy to share my thoughts, but by posting here you also get other people's thoughts, and now other readers get to see the dialogue as well.  Knowledge is power! 

Who run Bartertown?