Stone Melee?

Duck-Smokes-Quack

Hows stone melee getting on with scrappers so far?

I seems like being able to crit a bunch on heavy heavy hitting attacks would be great, but looks to have woeful AoE and very heavy end use?

• ST attack chain?: Seismic Smash > Heavy Mallet > Stone Mallet > Stone Fists ? Really I have no idea, that might even be too rech intensive to run confortably
    Hurl Boulder looks to have woeful DPA - maybe niche uses for runners/set mule?

• AoE?: Non existant pretty much? Could proc out Fault/Tremor (both?) and pray, but maybe best to pair with a high damage secondary to overcome this burden
    Anything with a damage aura + Sheild spring to mind

Anyone have much experience with it? Ive just realised the latest version of mids cant be auto updated and needs to come from the website, so now obviously im looking at Stone/ scrappers a lot trying to figure them all out.

I wonder how Stone/ really stacks up? It kind of reminds me of Martial Arts/ - very very strong ST damage and weak AoE. I suspect Stones/ ST damage exceeds MA/ , with the AoE falling behind - i wonder where Stone/ sits in terms of scrapper primaries.

6 minutes ago, Duck-Smokes-Quack said:

Hows stone melee getting on with scrappers so far?

I seems like being able to crit a bunch on heavy heavy hitting attacks would be great, but looks to have woeful AoE and very heavy end use?

• ST attack chain?: Seismic Smash > Heavy Mallet > Stone Mallet > Stone Fists ? Really I have no idea, that might even be too rech intensive to run confortably
    Hurl Boulder looks to have woeful DPA - maybe niche uses for runners/set mule?

• AoE?: Non existant pretty much? Could proc out Fault/Tremor (both?) and pray, but maybe best to pair with a high damage secondary to overcome this burden
    Anything with a damage aura + Sheild spring to mind

Anyone have much experience with it? Ive just realised the latest version of mids cant be auto updated and needs to come from the website, so now obviously im looking at Stone/ scrappers a lot trying to figure them all out.

I wonder how Stone/ really stacks up? It kind of reminds me of Martial Arts/ - very very strong ST damage and weak AoE. I suspect Stones/ ST damage exceeds MA/ , with the AoE falling behind - i wonder where Stone/ sits in terms of scrapper primaries.

From what others have tested Stone Melee is in the upper echelons of middle of the pack. Certainly good on its own but without battling for the first spot. This is ST alone.

For AoE isn't not all that great with Fault having failed at becoming an AoE leaving only Tremor at 32. You're going to want -something- to help, or find some way to turning Fault useful (horrible accuracy, low damage, long recharge).

For general gameplay it can be near Ice Melee in terms of safety once you get to a point where you can juggle mobs with Fault and Tremor. they keep bouncing while you keep killing.

I'm thinking a Brute in particular can be made to shine as it keeps mobs bouncing on top of a Burn field (incidentally helping with the lack of AoE the set has).

Now that said the game is easy enough that the gimmick of keeping mobs bouncing may not particular useful when we can just kill stuff, but, on the other hand, Fault does (a bit of) damage, Tremor does damage, Burn does damage, so keeping mobs locked is just part of the gameplay.

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

From what others have tested Stone Melee is in the upper echelons of middle of the pack. Certainly good on its own but without battling for the first spot. This is ST alone.

For AoE isn't not all that great with Fault having failed at becoming an AoE leaving only Tremor at 32. You're going to want -something- to help, or find some way to turning Fault useful (horrible accuracy, low damage, long recharge).

For general gameplay it can be near Ice Melee in terms of safety once you get to a point where you can juggle mobs with Fault and Tremor. they keep bouncing while you keep killing.

I'm thinking a Brute in particular can be made to shine as it keeps mobs bouncing on top of a Burn field (incidentally helping with the lack of AoE the set has).

Now that said the game is easy enough that the gimmick of keeping mobs bouncing may not particular useful when we can just kill stuff, but, on the other hand, Fault does (a bit of) damage, Tremor does damage, Burn does damage, so keeping mobs locked is just part of the gameplay.

Hmmmmm pretty much I suspected then, its a shame really, i really think either fault/tremor needs to be capable of real AoE damage personally to make Stone/ work for me

Or even if they made Hurl Boulder a TAoE splash type damage (essentially behaves the same was as Fireball or something)

I'll finish leveling my Stone/ Scrapper but not sure I can ever justify heavy investment knowing that I will forever be wishing I had more AoE capability 

The aoe is more of a grindstone than a meteor.

That being said, tremor is good and procs well, while fault can do a little damage while accelerating tremor with ffback. It's a bit better on tankers, who can slot the psi damage proc in it as well.

Careful timing of fault and tremor does indeed allow you to keep every mob near you on the ground. Some sets will appreciate this mitigation trick more than others, but I like it for content that is off type for my armor. Employing this strategy, my ice tank can survive just fine in a fire farm.

The set as a whole takes to proccing a little better than average. Good to have a ffback enabler somewhere in your single target chain. Ultimately not every primary has to be king of the hill, and stone definitely feels good to play, with a few unique tricks.

I do wish hurl boulder were more than a set mule. 

Edited by Onlyasandwich

AoE is definitely the set's weakness. At least Tremor is decent now that its animation was sped up; it used to be kind of sad. Shield Charge or a damage aura definitely helps, as does Fireball, but at best it still blooms a little late.

I have always thought Stone/ would pair very well with /Fire. They almost perfectly cover each other's weaknesses: Stone gives massive control (hard and soft, AoE and ST) to cover /Fire's relative squishiness, while /Fire gives endurance and extra AoE damage to fuel Stone/'s fast attacks and help it get through crowds. But I can't stand Burn without a taunt component, so this combo might be better on a brute. I actually did make a Stone/Fire brute recently, and he's just as excellent as I had hoped.

• 5 months later