My ears!!

Ston

3 hours ago, Black Zot said:

One of the reasons I rarely play melee is it means being at ground zero when a saturated Foot Stomp goes off.  At volume settings where any other game would be inaudible, THAT effect has the potential to get me in trouble with the neighbors.  I might as well set off a bomb on my desk.

The game should have launched with the option to turn that shit off.  There's no excuse not to have it now, umpteen years of development later.

Funny, that is exactly what I have said about making an option for it, but you thumbed it down. So I'm confused at what the hell your problem is.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Having to strap myself to my chair and buy new speakers every time I use Soul Drain in a mob is half the fun of playing Dark Melee. I've been to the hospital 3 times this week because the shockwave from the sound explosion keeps fracturing my ribs. That's how I know I'm really gaming.

• Haha 3

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

10 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Funny, that is exactly what I have said about making an option for it, but you thumbed it down. So I'm confused at what the hell your problem is.

My problem is you're fighting for a completely unacceptable status quo.  As long as you treat the ability to inflict ear-rape as your god-given right, you're on my shitlist.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Black Zot said:

My problem is you're fighting for a completely unacceptable status quo.  As long as you treat the ability to inflict ear-rape as your god-given right, you're on my shitlist.

And when did I ever do that? And to be quite frank, I don't give a damn about your shit list, lol.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

And when did I ever do that? And to be quite frank, I don't give a damn about your shit list, lol.

Oh, so all that endless whining about the ability to deafen people at the touch of a button being "nerfed" was someone else using your account then?

You say you'll leave if the devs do any more damage to your ability to troll people.  I pity the denizens of whatever server you decide to inflict your presence on if you do.  Seeing as you not caring about the harm you're causing is exactly the problem here.

Edited by Black Zot
  • Thumbs Down 1

I suspect "Why the game is so loud" may often come down to individual hardware that people have on the machines. 

Generally I'm running at 25% volume, and it's not bad.

Whatever the cause though, there are cleary issues for a number of players. 

I think more controls being provided for players to tweak how sounds work / don't work on their own personal devices, is all to the good. 

No one should have "a god-given-right-to-commit-ear-rape" on other players. 

But I also don't want sounds that a player truly enjoys to be yanked away from him. 

Options. That's all we need. You hear what you want, I'll hear what I want. We can both think the other guy is a nut (And hey, we might both be right). But we don't need a back-and-forth about who's a jerk and who is being unreasonable because of what they like. We just need to identify the kinds of control options we'd need to let players do it their way.

• Thanks 1

I find Solarverse's aversion to lowering the volume of certain AoE's strange. They say that the sounds are important to them, but if I'm playing as a Super-Strength tank, every sound in the game replaced by the deafening boom of me using Foot Stomp every 4.5 seconds.
In order not to wake up every member of my house-hold and get complaints from the neighbors, I need to have the volume so low that I can't hear any of the sounds except for Foot Stomp.
If they DON'T lower the volume of foot stomp (and other problematic AoE's), then every other sound effect is may as well be removed. 

On 2/8/2022 at 12:02 PM, Black Zot said:

Oh, so all that endless whining about the ability to deafen people at the touch of a button being "nerfed" was someone else using your account then?

Considering that I have literally went out of my way to create a solution by providing people with customized mods tailored just for them, I would say your comment here is you showing your ass. 

Tell me, what have you done other than whine?

You say you'll leave if the devs do any more damage to your ability to troll people. 

To troll people? Who is being the troll now? So tell me, when you are watching a movie and an action scene causes the volume to triple with the booms and bangs, do you write the director and complain about that too? The difference between me and you, is that I am trying to find a solution that all can be happy with, all you seem to care about is yourself.

I pity the denizens of whatever server you decide to inflict your presence on if you do.  Seeing as you not caring about the harm you're causing is exactly the problem here.

Lol, okay. I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

Considering that I have literally went out of my way to create a solution by providing people with customized mods tailored just for them, I would say your comment here is you showing your ass. 

Tell me, what have you done other than whine?

To troll people? Who is being the troll now? So tell me, when you are watching a movie and an action scene causes the volume to triple with the booms and bangs, do you write the director and complain about that too? The difference between me and you, is that I am trying to find a solution that all can be happy with, all you seem to care about is yourself.

Lol, okay. I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

As far as sound goes, for your argument, all TVs as far as I know have an option called dynamic compression, though it may be called something else based on manufacturer. It sounds to me like they are just asking for the game to incorporate a similar option. As someone who also has to play the game on very low, though thankfully nowhere near as low as the other posters, I can empathize. I recently turned the volume up to see if I was actually hearing a glowy or if the sound was just in my head. And I was amazed at the sounds I never knew the game had because of how low I have to keep the volume for combat. Adding an optional cap for sounds the player has to turn on as requested, say selectable from 1-10 sources at a time, would let everyone enjoy the game and hear all the little sounds that make the game but some of us are missing.

While I appreciate you and six-six making mods for people to use, I personally have bad luck with mods. The only mod I use is vidiotmaps to avoid potential problems. And that is only because vidiotmaps does not touch the code, it simply replaces the maps' image files with images containing more information. I don't even use the mod for handling the mods, the name of which I can't currently remember. Asking for the option to be built into the game instead of a player mod ensures it does not break the game, potentially requiring the user to uninstall and re-install the game to recover from. And since it would be an option players enable to use, people like you that can play the game at higher sound levels would not even be affected by it since you would never turn the option on.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Solarverse said:

The difference between me and you, is that I am trying to find a solution that all can be happy with, 

A tedious workaround that STOPS working any time the game gets patched is hardly a solution.  And that's IF a sound mod created by a big-boom-lover actually does what he claims - a claim I have no reason to believe given your constant "bring back the painful noises" harping.

Oh boo-fucking-hoo, the person who enjoys inflicting physical pain on people is upset about not getting compassion from the person they're hurting.  You have no claim on the moral high ground, Your Wannabe-Holiness.  I'm the one being actively denied any enjoyment of the game by the current state of things.  I'm the one who has to take a painkiller after teaming with a SS toon, or has to desummon MM pets every time he plans to zone because of the ear-rape of 18 simultanuous power effects going off, or needs to spend half an MSR alt-tabbed because there's half-a-dozen Kins in the raid, or insert any other sound-stacking powerset and the resultant headache.

And for the record, I generally DON'T watch TV or movies unless I have direct control of the volume, partly because of the absurdly-inconsistent recording volumes endemic to the medium.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Rudra said:

As far as sound goes, for your argument, all TVs as far as I know have an option called dynamic compression, though it may be called something else based on manufacturer. It sounds to me like they are just asking for the game to incorporate a similar option. As someone who also has to play the game on very low, though thankfully nowhere near as low as the other posters, I can empathize. I recently turned the volume up to see if I was actually hearing a glowy or if the sound was just in my head. And I was amazed at the sounds I never knew the game had because of how low I have to keep the volume for combat. Adding an optional cap for sounds the player has to turn on as requested, say selectable from 1-10 sources at a time, would let everyone enjoy the game and hear all the little sounds that make the game but some of us are missing.

While I appreciate you and six-six making mods for people to use, I personally have bad luck with mods. The only mod I use is vidiotmaps to avoid potential problems. And that is only because vidiotmaps does not touch the code, it simply replaces the maps' image files with images containing more information. I don't even use the mod for handling the mods, the name of which I can't currently remember. Asking for the option to be built into the game instead of a player mod ensures it does not break the game, potentially requiring the user to uninstall and re-install the game to recover from. And since it would be an option players enable to use, people like you that can play the game at higher sound levels would not even be affected by it since you would never turn the option on.

That has never been contested by me, in fact I have supported any option that could help. A dynamic sound option is quite interesting. That's something new that nobody has brought to the table.

As far as I go when writing Black Zot, he/she has made accusations that simply are not true. I have been in favor of an option to make sounds quite from the start. What I am against is continued forced sound nerfs in the form of removing sound effects or forcing any other changes on players like they did with Lightning Field. That was a forced change and not an option.

I do however fully support options. Always.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 hours ago, Black Zot said:

A tedious workaround that STOPS working any time the game gets patched is hardly a solution.  And that's IF a sound mod created by a big-boom-lover actually does what he claims - a claim I have no reason to believe given your constant "bring back the painful noises" harping.

Oh boo-fucking-hoo, the person who enjoys inflicting physical pain on people is upset about not getting compassion from the person they're hurting.  You have no claim on the moral high ground, Your Wannabe-Holiness.  I'm the one being actively denied any enjoyment of the game by the current state of things.  I'm the one who has to take a painkiller after teaming with a SS toon, or has to desummon MM pets every time he plans to zone because of the ear-rape of 18 simultanuous power effects going off, or needs to spend half an MSR alt-tabbed because there's half-a-dozen Kins in the raid, or insert any other sound-stacking powerset and the resultant headache.

And for the record, I generally DON'T watch TV or movies unless I have direct control of the volume, partly because of the absurdly-inconsistent recording volumes endemic to the medium.

I'm sorry but you honestly seem like you have a few screws loose. I see no reason to continue this conversation. Had you came with a warning label, I would have avoided engaging in this discussion with you. Good luck.

• Thumbs Down 1

16 hours ago, Black Zot said:

Not sure how relevant, but I patched the Blinky Glowie sounds long long time ago to be a bit louder and have NEVER had to redo it because of patches.

17 hours ago, lemming said:

Not sure how relevant, but I patched the Blinky Glowie sounds long long time ago to be a bit louder and have NEVER had to redo it because of patches.

The only time any patch required us to download the mods was when we switched from the Tequila Launcher to the Homecoming Launcher. In other words, the claim Black Zot made was hugely exaggerated and disingenuous. 

• Thumbs Up 1