PvP is Dead?

reaverdirge2

55 minutes ago, reaverdirge2 said:

haven't been on in quite some time, came back to do some PvP and noticed a lot of folks I used to team with haven't been onlilne and I've noticed there's not a whole lot of PvP action. What gives?

The folks you used to team with probably stop playing because they saw you hadn't been online for a while.

Are you on Indomitable? 

It does seem to be the least populated server these days, and it is the unofficial PVP server.

I don't think that I have ever teamed up other there other than a DFB.

No one is ever recruiting for teams when ever I'm on over there.

Most everyone is level 50 on Indomitable these days, and I'm not going to power-level a character to 50 to just to ~maybe~ PVP.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, reaverdirge2 said:

What gives?

2 hours ago, reaverdirge2 said:

I haven't been on in quite some time

Maybe answered your own question.

Besides, PvP deviates enough from regular content that it's tough to get folks interested in having to learn a second game inside the game.

Folks just playing the same 3 or 4 builds is kinda boring.

I spent a week in RV getting all the badges on a dozen or so characters and didn't see another player. (Indom & Ever)

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Troo said:

Maybe answered your own question.

Besides, PvP deviates enough from regular content that it's tough to get folks interested in having to learn a second game inside the game.

Folks just playing the same 3 or 4 builds is kinda boring.

I spent a week in RV getting all the badges on a dozen or so characters and didn't see another player. (Indom & Ever)

Yeah the only time I see anyone on is in Warburg and its fiteclubbers on Everlasting. 

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

8 hours ago, reaverdirge2 said:

I haven't been on in quite some time, came back to do some PvP and noticed a lot of folks I used to team with haven't been onlilne and I've noticed there's not a whole lot of PvP action. What gives?

The zone PvP crowd mostly moved to Excelsior sometime last year but it isn't super active. There's Tuesday pick-up 8v8s on Indom still and they usually get enough people to fill both teams, but outside of that there's like one night of scrims each week between the two SGs that are still active and the occasional 1v1/small team stuff if you can find it.

This is pretty typical of PvP in this game though - even before the live shutdown you'd end up in cycles where PvP would be pretty active for several months or maybe a year followed by long stretches of dead time. That Homecoming PvP managed to stay consistently active for nearly two years after it started up is pretty good, but it's not really clear whether the lull right now is dead time or just dead. Even outside of PvP Homecoming's population has dropped off significantly since its peak a few years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

It looks like there's around 15-25 active players on Excelsior that you can find in RV, in fightclub matches, or running small-scale arena matches. 

It usually isn't hard to find PVP activity if you know where to look and who to ask. But it's very rare to see new people coming in. 

Wouldn't mind the Homecoming team doing something to draw more players to try it. I don't really see the meta changing, so probably no ways around that.. but maybe people will still want to try it if there's new PVP modes or increased rewards?

• 3 weeks later

I was never big into PvP but my SG on Live loved it, and when the I13 changes came around they all quit and killed the game for me.  I would join them for zone events when that's what they wanted to do, and back then I was competitive enough to enjoy it.  Having other things to do in the zones at the same time helped, like getting Shivans and Nukes.

I was recently on a team in RV here on Homecoming, badge collecting, when another player loaded with PVP IOs jumped in by him/herself and crushed our team of 4 repeatedly.  We eventually left the zone.  The disparity was amazing, so after I looked at doing a second build for casual zone pvp, but PvP IOs costing the same as rare purples on the merit vendor, or spending whatever on the auction house is a pretty steep ask to be marginally (for my own abilities heh) competitive in casual zone pvp.  I saw a suggestion in another thread about making the PvP IOs free, but only functioning in PvP (similar to the accolade copies) and thought that would help knock down one of the barriers to creating PvP builds and allow casual players to even the playing field in PvP and make it more enjoyable.

Adding in additional content to drive more traffic would also help, perhaps a Task Force and Strike Force located in each PVP zone where all the action also takes place in the zone (and allows for PVP IO builds) would bring teams of players into the zone who may bump into opposing teams running their content.  The missions could also have PVE zone objects (as an example, completing a mission in Siren's Call summons the Jade Spider giant monster), as well as adding zone buffs like the PVE mission content in PVP zones do now.  People can avoid the content altogether, but for people who may enjoy some casual PVP along with team PVE content, this could help encourage it.  More TFs also add more badges, reward merits, etc.  It's a huge ask of course, adding 2 task forces per pvp zone makes 8 new ones, but hey, we're all just talking on the internet, right?

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

6 hours ago, PennyRoyal said:

Any one from The Renegades still on? Used to roll with them back in live. Just started playing again a couple weeks ago. Not PvP yet. I still have base game training wheels on. Forgot so much!

Welcome back! I don't know of the group you mentioned, but if you're just now returning, I'd recommend checking out all of the stickied topics in the arena sub forum. Lots of stuff has changed since the game went dark, but Homecoming has done a lot of QoL work to improve the PvP side of things. Still, no where near the population of the live servers it takes a bit of patience or a dedicated group to do any PvP these days. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 3/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, PennyRoyal said:

Any one from The Renegades still on? Used to roll with them back in live. Just started playing again a couple weeks ago. Not PvP yet. I still have base game training wheels on. Forgot so much!

There are a few around.

• Like 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube