Headcanon

Headcanon: something about a fandom that you believe or take on faith, without evidence.

Or anyone else backing you up. Because you may be insane.

But it makes ya happy.

What have you either heard of or come up with lately?

One I realised today: David Lightman(Wargames) and Ferris Bueller('s Day Off) are one and the same person.

Having saved the world with his l33t haX0r and psychology skills, David gets put into Federal Witness Protection: with a new name, new identity, and newfound unassailable confidence from having confronted nuclear armageddon and won, he becomes a vastly cooler version of his old self (but still can't help hacking/phreaking the school).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

The World's End: Everything that happened in Gary King's youth repeats in the present day, in the same general order, but it all becomes twisted, and near the end, he's presented with a bright light offering redemption, which he refuses.  An EMP wipes out all electrical devices, leaving the world dark and faded in the final scene.

Conclusion: he didn't try to commit suicide, he succeeded, and the entire film takes place inside his dying mind.

Deadpool:  Sister Margaret's School for Wayward Girls is populated by assassins and bikers, but we never see a single police officer investigating the place; Deadpool is popular and handsome, but becomes disfigured following a terminal illness diagnosis; he meets an insanely hot prostitute who falls in love with him and becomes the driving force for his quest to fix himself.

Conclusion: Cunningham is Wade Wilson.  Suffering from the pain of a terminal illness, made worse by the medications and treatments he's forced to endure, he blames his doctors and resents his wife for the agony he's living through, and retreats into his imagination and lives out a wildly distorted version of his reality.  The disfigurement is a result of his self-loathing for giving up on his children.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Like many, I have a soft-spot for trash cinema.  So, a few years back when I was scrolling through options I came across this:

P-51-Dragon-Fighter-2014-movie-poster.jpg

... and, I mean come on, who doesn't want to watch Mustangs dogfighting Dragons!

Sorry, OG, no Spitfires or Hurricanes that I can recall.1😛

So here's the thing. 

This movie exists in the MCU, and I have evidence:

20160930_204838.thumb.jpg.2eb174528583f75e95b0a7390a1c4ad2.jpg

See that Hydra logo down in the lower left?  Now, prop and set recycling happens all the time in the world of low budget movies.  I don't know how they got their hands on one that hadn't been scrubbed of IP, but I can just picture the conversations on set ...

"Only the nerdiest of nerds will ever notice this, and if they do we might get some traction as a fan theory!"

So, you read it here first people.  While Red Skull and the Cap were trading blows in Europe, Hydra's Dragon Brigade was hard at work in the North African Theater.

1 - Apologies in advance if my assumption that you're UK based was incorrect, and now that I think about it I don't think they had any P-51s beyond one or two body shells to establish presence on the ground. 🍻

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

7 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

1 - Apologies in advance if my assumption that you're UK based was incorrect, and now that I think about it I don't think they had any P-51s beyond one or two body shells to establish presence on the ground. 🍻

I am indeed - and from Norfolk, which is pretty much Airstrip One, and taught your lot at RAF Lakenheath.
(Preferred the Marines - straightforward thinkers, but  actually read and understood texts and did their assignments on time.)

I think we... [quick Google] yep, we had RAF variant Mustangs, though I'm fairly sure we had the cardboard ones too.

Side story about my part of the world entered local headcanon for a little while - and is also dragon-and-USAF related. The wonderfully rubbish Reign Of Fire has scenes set in the lonely, desolate mountains of Norfolk, which is slightly flatter than Wisconsin. USAF confirmed to the papers (in best Pentagonese) that to the best of their knowledge and instrument readings, they had not seen any mountains.

So there were jokes for months about the mystic hidden mountains, where we teach the secret martial art of Ha-Yu-Roite-Ber.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

6 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I am indeed - and from Norfolk, which is pretty much Airstrip One, and taught your lot at RAF Lakenheath.

In the interest of full disclosure: I never served, unfortunately.  My extremely misspent youth was ... well ... let's just say extremely misspent and leave it there. :classic_unsure:

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

More Norfolk headcanon: we get the odd movie filmed here - my favourite being Stardust (the pub were gutted they didn't get to keep the Slaughtered Prince Mural).

But the most famous is Avengers: Age Of Ultron, which caused gasps and gales of laughter when we found out we host the Avengers Mansion.

(In real life: the Sainsbury Art Gallery.)

So a few of us started messing around with sketches about interactions between the Avengers etc and their Norfolk staff.

"Ere, Mr. Doom, yew don't wanna go in thair."
"DO NOT SPEAK TO DOOM. AND IT IS DOCTOR DOOM, FOOLISH GARDENER."

"Arr, so it is, Mr. Doom. But there's easier ways to break in than through there."
"DOOM GOES WHERE HE WISHES, FOR DOOM IS BEHOLDEN TO NO MAN."

"Fair enough, Sir, but that's the carnivorous plants I've been working on for Mr. Banner, Sir, and"

"AAAAAARGGHHH"

"...they ain't been... fed... yet. 

Huh.

...Well, one less job fer me today"

• Haha 1

Not being directly hit by any nuclear weapons itself, but still suffering the global effects of all the other strikes, along with the oil shortages, the Australia of the Mad Max movies exists within the Fallout universe - they never got the advanced weapons or robotics of the US, due to having closed off their borders once word got out of the US annexing Canada...

Edited by biostem

On 3/10/2022 at 6:37 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Headcanon: something about a fandom that you believe or take on faith, without evidence.

Or anyone else backing you up. Because you may be insane.

But it makes ya happy.

What have you either heard of or come up with lately?

Oh, that's easy.   Episodes VII, VIII, and IX never happened.  It was all a bad dream and it all went away when Patrick Duffy stepped out of a shower somewhere.  😉

I know a lot of people have it headcanon that Mace Windu survived the fall out Palpatine's window and will return at some point.  I rolled my eyes at first, but then remembered that surviving falls from great heights, often while crippled, is actually a thing in Star Wars.  Luke, Maul, and Palpatine all survived (more or less) great falls after being badly injured.  Ahsoka has now survived falling outside a crashing starship.  Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc pit.  Okay, that wasn't a long fall, but it certainly was a terrifying, seemingly fatal one.  There's probably others I could think of if I took the time.  So yeah, people's headcanon that Windu survives rush hour sky traffic in a grand canyon of steel, one-handed might just be a thing.

Oh, actually I do have one headcanon that I firmly hold to:  The Stargate franchise.  I firmly contend that the Goa'uld have been around so long, there's no way that all of them were wiped out by the end.  I posit that there was another break-away group of snakeheads who opted to go find a galaxy or galaxies of their own to plunder and pillage, leaving Ra and the System Lords (there's a band title!) for centuries, if not millenia. When the renegades eventually do return, it will be to overthrow Ra, having claimed, in their usually parasitic ways, technology more powerful than anything seen by the Asgardians.  Of course, they'll find the System Lords wiped out, and upon making inquiries as to who could do this, they'll find that Stargate Command , holders of all technology Asgardian and Ancient, is a threat.  Cue Stargate: The Next Generation.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Techwright said:

Ahsoka has now survived falling outside a crashing starship.

Assuming you allow Ep VIII to exist, Leia survived in hard vacuum outside a spaceship. I'm not sure whether that was the Force or just the Universe not wanting to argue with Space Mom, because it'd lose.

...I miss Space Mom.

12 hours ago, Techwright said:

It was all a bad dream and it all went away when Patrick Duffy stepped out of a shower somewhere.  😉

Now that is one old-school reference. Well played. 

2 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Leia survived in hard vacuum outside a spaceship.

The human body can endure a vacuum for about 90 seconds without suffering permanent damage.  Consciousness is lost after 10-15 seconds, when deoxygenated blood is recirculated through the body.  What gases are in the blood stream (carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, residual oxygen, nitrogen, trace gases) begin to expand immediately, exasperating the hypoxic effect of space's lack of atmosphere, but the person would be dead from lack of oxygen before a gas embolism became a concern.  A person also wouldn't freeze immediately, that's a movie myth.  Heat is transmitted through convection, conduction and radiation, and the first two rely on material contact (atmosphere, liquid, thermally transmissive material like iron, etc).  A mammalian body simply doesn't radiate heat well enough to instantaneously freeze in that situation.

• Thanks 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

The human body can endure a vacuum for about 90 seconds without suffering permanent damage.  Consciousness is lost after 10-15 seconds, when deoxygenated blood is recirculated through the body.  What gases are in the blood stream (carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, residual oxygen, nitrogen, trace gases) begin to expand immediately, exasperating the hypoxic effect of space's lack of atmosphere, but the person would be dead from lack of oxygen before a gas embolism became a concern.  A person also wouldn't freeze immediately, that's a movie myth.  Heat is transmitted through convection, conduction and radiation, and the first two rely on material contact (atmosphere, liquid, thermally transmissive material like iron, etc).  A mammalian body simply doesn't radiate heat well enough to instantaneously freeze in that situation.

Cool bits of info there!  I didn't know any of that.  😎

On 3/12/2022 at 1:12 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Assuming you allow Ep VIII to exist, Leia survived in hard vacuum outside a spaceship. I'm not sure whether that was the Force or just the Universe not wanting to argue with Space Mom, because it'd lose.

Oh, I also forgot Kenobi's great fall during Order 66. 

As much as I loathed Episode VIII, I have to say I was not put out to see that moment on screen.  I was genuinely puzzled by others' negative reactions.  Force wielders can literally do anything.   The question has never been "can they do it", it has been "have they figured out how to do it, and have they prepared properly".  Oh, and apparently, "do they have the midichlorian count to do it?"  She's a Skywalker.  She does...or did.  😕

There are only Two Star Wars Movies.  

Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. 

Return of the Jedi is a 2 hour long Infomercial intended to sell Ewok toys.  The Prequels are a TV quality mini-series that got a ton of the Lore Wrong.  The Sequels are Fan Fiction. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Return of the Jedi is a 2 hour long Infomercial intended to sell Ewok toys. 

...ouch? 

Respectfully disagree with m'learned coll here, especially as they DID make two of those specifically (Caravan Of Courage and Battle For Endor, plus the cartoon series. They're all available on D+ now, should you be so inclined, though nobody has yet dared ask Lucas to upload the Holiday Special.) 

11 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

...ouch? 

Respectfully disagree with m'learned coll here, especially as they DID make two of those specifically (Caravan Of Courage and Battle For Endor, plus the cartoon series. They're all available on D+ now, should you be so inclined, though nobody has yet dared ask Lucas to upload the Holiday Special.) 

Wasn't just my opnion though.  In an interview Gary Kurtz (Producer and early George Lucas collaborator on the Star Wars project) said as much, and explained that is why he asked to be bought out instead of stay involved in Return Of The Jedi.  He was offended that the whole thing seemed a nod to the Hasbro people. 

In the original story idea, there was no second Death Star, and no happy ending of the Empire colapsing.   Instead ended with a confrontation between Luke and Vader+Emporer.  After Luke suceeded he just walked off into the sunset.  Basically like in a Western or a Samurai movie.    

To walk the Galaxy .. like Caine in Kug Fu. 

There's a reason original ideas don't end up being the final product.  

A coworker reminded me that I've been carrying around a headcanon idea of the Borg in Star Trek for some time.  This may be entirely destroyed by the currently playing Picard season 2, which I've not seen.

I'd always wondered, back to when the Borg's first appearance, if the show creators had sat down and thought about the origins of their creation.   In my thinking, the Borg might have been shown to be a creation to save a race or federation of races at some past point, something that backfired.  In that concept, a war would have precipitated the creation of a new superweapon, a nanite infection that converted the enemy, one by one, into a growing army against the side they'd fought.  To give governance to this monstrosity, one of the designer's people voluntarily became the first queen, with a conscious liberty the drones lacked.  The hive was also given a mandate to learn anything new, especially technology, so that it might grow and adapt to any future threat.  It proved wildly effective, but like some other superweapons, the creation was double-edged and turned on its creators, before reaching out into the greater Delta Quadrant.