Does Tactics affect psuedo pets?

Todd Z

I agree with snarky but I'm not sure if it keeps working for the longer lasting pseudo pets.  I was testing it with poison set poison trap recently and the hit chance went up with tactics on but only on the first tick.  You can add "Pet damage inflcited" to a chat tab to see the pseudo-pet hit rolls.

Edited by Pzn

If the pseudo-pet is a distinct entity, such as the powers you listed, they inherit whatever buffs are active on the caster, and as of my testing several years ago, even toggles like Assault and Tactics affect them for their full duration.

If the pseudo-pet is a patch/puddle/invisible entity/power within a power/whatever, some do and some don't.  Glue Arrow, for example, used to, but I haven't tested it since it was changed to use the Redirect mechanic (there are no buffs which affect it, so it's low priority for me).  And some pseudo-pets only retain the buff transfer briefly if the buff is a toggle, whereas others will continue to be affected by toggles until they despawn (haven't determined any hard rule for this one, seems to be a combination of pseudo-pet lifetime, buff lifetime and developer discretion).

Easiest way to determine whether anything will or won't is to check City of Data.  If you see this, copy-blue.png , in the icons at the right side of the Create Entity entry, then your buffs are inherited by the pseudo-pet.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

To bounce off what Lumi said above with specific answers for the powers you asked about:

Creepers : Yes. Each vine is a buffable entity, so it gets the bonus from Tactics if it is within range.

Tornado: Yes, because it inherits from the caster's Accuracy. You can't directly buff this pet, so the radius of Tactics is irrelevant. What matters is that the caster is inside the radius of his or her own Tactics. If the caster happens to be inside another player's Tactics or is affected by sources of - or + ToHit that carries over too.

Rain Powers: Most function like Tornado.

Pets that do neither of these things are usually not slottable with Accuracy at all. This is mostly stuff that Accuracy is irrelevant to (e.g. Spirit Tree). There are a couple of oddball powers that don't accept Accuracy IOs but do technically benefit from Tactics, like Poison Trap. I'd have to go back and deep read Poison Trap's code to remember if this benefits you in any way though.

1 hour ago, oedipus_tex said:

Creepers : Yes. Each vine is a buffable entity, so it gets the bonus from Tactics if it is within range.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does this mean in theory that a Plant Controller could use Creepers to increase the proc chance of Gaussian's in Tactics?

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

3 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does this mean in theory that a Plant Controller could use Creepers to increase the proc chance of Gaussian's in Tactics?

I think so, yep,

I'm pretty sure Plant Dominators also build rage bar faster with Creepers out than without. But have yet to set out it to prove it. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/2/2022 at 3:06 PM, biostem said:

I really wish we could see little buff/debuff icons under whatever entity we're targeting, (whether friend or foe) - It'd really help in clarifying these kinds of questions...

You mean like appear alongside the teammates names in the team window (vs the often hard to see graphics spiraling around the mobs indicating buffs/debuffs)?

• Thumbs Up 1