Complete Creation and Return to List

Duuk

This has probably been suggested before, but when you reach the stage of character creation that says, "Complete character creation and enter game", a third option (and return to character selection) would be great.  Then I could login as another toon, /altinvite, send money, and THEN login as the newbie in two steps instead of 3.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Everlasting server - Sister Pistols and the Perma-Newbies SG

If it still took 30 seconds to log out, I might've been for this, but it doesn't. Most of the time (for me at least), I am logged out the instant I hit Quit to Character Select.

Personally, I just keep a couple of emails to my own global handle in my box with some care packages for alts since I know I will be making some in the future. It is inevitable. I used to trip about SG access for my fresh alts too, until I thought about it and realized I really only use my base as a TP hub until 15 or so. I just started copying my passcode to my email so I have it on hand.

Sorry, not trying to shoot down your idea. Just sharing my own experiences with the same frustrations.

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

The problem is, as I understand it, that the game still has to actually spawn your character into the game world to complete the character creation process, meaning that there'd still have to be a loading screen and such...

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

If it still took 30 seconds to log out, I might've been for this, but it doesn't. Most of the time (for me at least), I am logged out the instant I hit Quit to Character Select.

Personally, I just keep a couple of emails to my own global handle in my box with some care packages for alts since I know I will be making some in the future. It is inevitable. I used to trip about SG access for my fresh alts too, until I thought about it and realized I really only use my base as a TP hub until 15 or so. I just started copying my passcode to my email so I have it on hand.

Sorry, not trying to shoot down your idea. Just sharing my own experiences with the same frustrations.

How have I never thought to use my base code until I'm able to add myself to my SG?  That's brilliant.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

This is a great idea!

What is the third option was Spawn and logout? meh...not sure of that is better

Betty I should introduce to one of my heros ..... The Spaghetti Yeti!

/e poofgone

On 5/24/2022 at 4:52 PM, biostem said:

The problem is, as I understand it, that the game still has to actually spawn your character into the game world to complete the character creation process, meaning that there'd still have to be a loading screen and such...

Buuuut... that sounds like something the server has to do. What role does the client play? Seems like it wouldn't be impossible for the mapserver to just create the character for one tick and then despawn it immediately, while your client goes back to the character select screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless the code allows for generation without spawning, this would still require the character creation process to load the tutorial or starting map to spawn the character for that one tick, then log off to the character select screen. Which then would be subject to the logoff timer unless it worked like AE or Pocket D with its 0 timer. Which is not actually a 0 for time....

Of course, if the code does allow for generation without spawning, then this is all moot and the OP can be implemented without any listed concerns.

Oh, c'mon! This is a horrible idea. We all know it, and we all know why.

Removing all of the hurdles that slow the process of creating a character will allow a script/bot to make 1,000 characters in a matter of seconds. This would just be creating yet another way to attack the server and possibly take it down.

And the benefit? When I make a new character I'll be able to get them money and into an SG 60 whole seconds faster.

Now, adding the ability to invite your character to an SG while in the character creation screen? Sure! That's a great idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Ooh! Now THAT is a sweet idea! When you create your character, as part of the registration screen, you can auto-add the character to any SG you own!

(Edit: And by own, I mean your character has the highest ranking position in the SG/VG.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2022 at 4:50 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Oh, c'mon! This is a horrible idea. We all know it, and we all know why.

Removing all of the hurdles that slow the process of creating a character will allow a script/bot to make 1,000 characters in a matter of seconds. This would just be creating yet another way to attack the server and possibly take it down.

And the benefit? When I make a new character I'll be able to get them money and into an SG 60 whole seconds faster.

Now, adding the ability to invite your character to an SG while in the character creation screen? Sure! That's a great idea.

That's also a snazzy idea.  Maybe have a drop-down menu on the Name portion of character finalization that lets you select a supergroup you have invite privs for.

• Like 1