Hover and Fly animations

Cutter

I'd really like to Hover vertically and Fly horizontally (even when I have Hover toggled on during Fly).

Is there any way to set things up so Hover (alone) retains the default vertical pose, but Hover+Fly (together) retains Fly's default horizontal pose instead of being overridden by Hover? Costume creator only has "no pose" options for Hover, such that it now has the horizontal pose of Fly. I've tried normal Hover+Fly and used the /em flypose# command, but it has no effect (tho it DOES work when using no pose Hover). And it doesn't matter what order the powers are toggled on either.

Any ideas?

• Thumbs Up 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I think the issue here is due to Hover's pose effect overriding the default Fly animation. It's almost like Hover was an early example of the 'Stance Run' powers like Ninja/Beast Run - toggling on Fly changes your default stance only until you began to move, while Hover effectively locks the character into that floaty posture the whole time (unless they do another emote, like /e yoga). You can kind of see the effect if you toggle on Hover while running forward; the character starts to go into the default Fly animation, then adjusts to required Hover-pose. Add to that the /flypose emotes flat out not being allowed to activate while Hover-pose is active (likely as not because the motions they do were designed to work from the standard horizontal flight animation) and it ends up that having Hover-pose on at all means that pose, along with all the emote limitations it has, takes over everything flying related.

That's why the No Pose Hover actually allows the emotes to work - with the pose-lock removed, there's nothing keeping the emotes from activating. Whether or not that pose-shift could be applied to Fly itself as an alternate option... I've got no idea. As is, looks like the only way to keep the normal animations for both is to just switch between them. Because Hover-pose is weird. x.x

Edited by El D
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

5 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

On the characters where I want to fly horizontally, I just use the old bind that turns off fly and turns on hover (and visa versa). Just /bind r "powexecname fly $$ powexecname Hover"

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

Sounds like something that can be pretty much addressed with binds or macros.

To Fly: “powexectoggleoff Hover$$powexecname Fly”

To Hover: “powexectoggleoff Fly$$powexecname Hover”

I thought of binds, but these don't allow me to run Fly+Hover together with the Fly pose. I prefer to have Hover on for the extra maneuverability during flight.

But I may not have that option, in which case I'll have to either go the bind route, or suck it up & pick a pose.

• Like 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I feel like the vertical vs horizontal position should (optionally) be about your current movement speed - if stationary or under about 10 MPH, use a vertical poses, and transition more to horizontal as you speed up...

• Like 1

I've always thought vertical flight was shorthand for "I'm so badass I ignore aerodynamics."

I can't magine Darkseid flying like Superman...

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

2 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I've always thought vertical flight was shorthand for "I'm so badass I ignore aerodynamics."

I can't magine Darkseid flying like Superman...

Right? It's definitely a great use of posing to get personality across! Also, something I really wish the game would allow an option for. I mean, villain stance 2 is right there.

Ghost_Widow_Emote_StanceVillain2.gif

It even already works while Fly is active! Sure, the shift to and from attacking might look a little silly, but the Running Stances kind of do that already and they're in-game. >.>

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.