Origin Quest 2022-?

UltraAlt

This is an ongoing post, and it is updated as my characters level, and I find more information about the 5 Origin arcs.

The character of each origin is only playing their Origin's content, run missions on flat, and are level locked if they approach the max level of a contact without completing their arc.

---------science-----------*------------tech------------*-----------mutant-----------*-----------natural-----------*-----------magic---------

+Jonathan St John Smythe4          +Rick Davies4                +Prince Kiros Nandelu4             +Susan Davies4                    +Azuria4

----------------------------next level of contacts doesn't unlock until  you reach level 5---------------------------

+Samuel Pierce9                      +Tony Kord9                       +Ron Hughes9                     +Vic Johansson9         +Genevieve Sanders9

(Vahzilok)                                 (clocks)                                 (Skulls)                                  (Lost)                           (Hellions/CoT)

Ron Hughes/                                        +Vic Johnson9/                                      +Samuel Pierce9/                                       Paco Sanchez9/                                +Ron Hughes/

(Skulls)/                                                     (Lost)/                                                   (Vazilok)/                                                     (CoT)/                                              (Skulls)/

+Det. Jose Brogan                                  Paco Sanchez9                                             Tony Kord9                                              +Tony Kord9                                       Rachel Torres

(Lost)                                                       (CoT)                                                       (Clocks)                                                     (Clocks)                                              (Lost)

----------------------------next level of contacts doesn't unlock until  you reach level 9---------------------------

+Jill Pastor14                      +Carla Brunelli14                   +Wilson Zucco14                +Lorenzo DiCosta14        +Haley Philips14

(Vazilok)                                 (clocks)                              (Skulls/Lost)                               (Council)                    (Hellions/CoT)

---------------------------next level of contacts doesn't unlock until  you reach level 14 --------------------------

+Wyatt Anderson19               +Fareed Abdullah19               +Juliana Nehring19                     +Cho Ge19             +Virginia Hoffman19

(Clock/Trolls)                          (Clocks/Lost)                            (Vahzilok)                                (Council)                        (Tsoo/CoT)

---------------------------next level of contacts doesn't unlock until  you reach level 20 --------------------------

+Melanie Peebles24              +Wilma Peterson24                       +Jim Bell24                   +Rondel Jackson24            +Oliver Haak24

(Sky Raiders, Lost)                    (Freakshow, Family                  (Tsoo, Warriors                       (Skyraiders)               (Banished Pantheon,

Tsoo)                            Banished Pantheon                                                      CoT, Warriors, Tsoo,

Family)                                                                          Family)

---------------------------next level of contacts doesn't unlock until  you reach level 25 --------------------------

Eliza Thorpe                                                                                                                                                          +Laura Brunetti29

(Devouring Earth,                                                                                                                                                     (Banished Pantheon,

Council, The Lost)                                                                                                                                                          CoT, Warriors)

---------------------------next level of contacts doesn't unlock until  you reach level 30 --------------------------

+Allison King34

(CoT, Council

Devouring Earth,

Rogue Robots,

Crey)

---------------------------next level of contacts doesn't unlock until  you reach level 35 --------------------------

+contact selected contact name contact max level #

(related villain groups)

Example ::

+Samuel Pierce9

(Vazilok)

5-9 contacts.

After you complete the first mission for a 5-9 contact, they give you the option to select one of two other 5-9 contacts. The only contact that has really caused a level issue so far is Vic Johansson due to Lost hunts in his arc. My natural character will need to run some of Tony Kord's missions to level up enough to take on some Lost on the streets. These are two different origin contacts different from your character's origin.

After you complete a mission for that 2nd 5-9 contact, you are offered a selection of 2 more contacts. I'm not selecting any of these, as these are the the last two of the 5 origins and directly opposed to the characters origin (eg magic versus science/tech)

I reduced the font size of the 2nd tier contacts that are given as they are alternate contacts from another origin. Now that I'm sure those middle level range contacts are not related to the character's original origin, I'm not taking them during the leveling process and running police missions or DFBs to level up when hunt missions put my characters up against enemies that are more than 2 levels above them.

10-14 contacts

Science remains opposed to the Vazilok.

Tech she keeps you fighting the Clocks, but Carla Burnelli won't give you missions until level 10!

Mutant Origin track swipes Lost from the Natural Origin, but continues to fight the Skulls as well.

Natural Origin loses the Lost to move to the Council.

Magic remains fighting the Hellions and COT.

15-19 contacts

Science Now fighting Clocks and Trolls. I had thought that the Dr Vazh arc was gone because I couldn't find it under a Science contact. [I have run the Defeat Dr Vazh mission twice the last month (should have entered which month sorry) with other characters. One of them said that the mission was given to them by Olivia Chung I had assumed this was a Science contact, but she is a Mutation contact]. Arc just ends kind of abruptly. Nothing impressive.

Tech continues with Clocks, but Lost are added to the mix. At Level 18, contact stopped giving missions (more mission arc visible contact) and only wants to get you to talk to contacts that aren't Tech origin. At level 19, the tech origin contact still only offers contacts. I picked a contact and the tech origin contact when to Inactive. No end of arc. No Boss to fight. It looks like this contacts arc was gutted in issue 8. Fareed Abdullah is a level 15-19 contact, so I shouldn't have out leveled them at level 18 or 19. I'm assuming he will offer me another tech contact once the character hits level 20.

Mutant in a surprise twist (see Science above), the Vazh become the target of the Mutation origin arc. Julianna Nehring has the same story arcs at Olivia Chung, so this character should get the Dr Vazh mission at the end of the arc. The mutation character contracted the Vahzilok Wasting Disease https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Vahzilok_Wasting_Disease and is definitely going to be facing Dr Vahzilok within the next mission or two. Character has the mission to defeat Dr Vazh at level 16.

Natural continues fighting the Council.] Contact won't give the character another mission until level 19.

Magic remains fighting COT, but Hellions are replaced by Tsoo. End arc boss is Mr Po. Given by level 16.

20-24 contacts

The lines between origins start to blur at this point ...  or was that when the Vazh stopped being a Science enemy and move to being a Mutant enemy?!

Science now battles Sky Raiders and Lost.

Tech switches to Freaks, Family, and Tsoo.

Mutant ,now that the Vazh are taken care of, it's on to Banished Pantheon, Family, Tsoo, and Warriors

Natural 

Magic continues battling the CoT and Tsoo, but now take on the Banished Pantheon as well as the Family and Warriors. 

25-29 contacts

Science 

Tech 

Mutant 

Natural 

Magic nothing really exciting to write home about. Mostly Banished Pantheon and CoT fights. No big boss battle end of arc. It kind of just peters out. Missions are getting longer because it takes more XP to level level locked just before 29 until contact wouldn't provide any more missions. It look about 7 (I think) radio missions and a safeguard to hit 30. New contact given at level 30.

30-34 contacts

Science 

Tech 

Mutant 

Natural 

Magic 

Edited by UltraAlt
Updating to current character status
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

So I'm trying to follow the origin arcs.

Since being back on Homecoming, I've tended to DFB to 8, Posi 1, Posi 2  ... and that gets me close to or near 20 when I'll run a Penelope Yin taskforce, so I generally haven't been running door missions until like level 18 or something. 

Depending on the character or my mood, I have headed to the Hollows to run door missions there after 2 DFB runs.

I figured I would check out the lower level arcs to see how they are still connected.

I'm running them on flat so I don't out-level the contacts and I'm even going to turn-off XP if it looks like I'm going to outlevel contacts.

I'm going to update the post above as I head through this. I'm not in a big rush to do it, and it is a bit time consuming soloing it.

I think I'll probably try to recruit once I've turned-off XP. I don't want to get distracted and forget to turn-off XP and outlevel a contact.

• Thumbs Up 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

So far, this is very time consuming as I'm working on 5 characters.

I'm going to focus on one until I complete the 5-9 origin contact related to their origin and then go to the next one ... continuing on focusing on completing the missions for their origin.

• Thumbs Up 1

I ran one too. Through all content that could not be done after you level past it.  (All 1-35, a lot of 35-40, 40-44) on one character.  Tracking the Blueside contacts was one small nightmare.  Stopping experience and truly assuring you have done all content before starting again was another.  This toon did all red/blue/gold.  Gold is through ouro.  But the origins were the most annoying.  In that something that should be straightforward was so complicated.  The wiki is helpful there.  Breaking down the contacts into origin groups in each level range

oh, also with one toon gaming hard this took me months.  Hundreds of gaming hours 

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

I ran one too. Through all content that could not be done after you level past it.  (All 1-35, a lot of 35-40, 40-44) on one character.  Tracking the Blueside contacts was one small nightmare.  Stopping experience and truly assuring you have done all content before starting again was another.  This toon did all red/blue/gold.  Gold is through ouro.  But the origins were the most annoying.  In that something that should be straightforward was so complicated.  The wiki is helpful there.  Breaking down the contacts into origin groups in each level range

oh, also with one toon gaming hard this took me months.  Hundreds of gaming hours 

I'm currently doing that with one of my characters.  I think this is my fifth try and being hypervigilant in not outleveling.  Only at level 7 so far after a month.

• Thumbs Up 1

Level locked my first at 8 to work on finishing the 5-9 magic arc.

It was a real challenge to do the hunts (Helions and CoT) in Perez Park solo, but I managed to do it.

As an added challenge on my magic character (Fire/martial arts blaster), I have been running with just brawl (one slotted - SO acc), ki push (three slotted - SO acc, acc, recharge), and apprentice charm.

I have flares and fire blast (both three slotted) but I have been trying to keep them in case I can't handle something - so far, I haven't needed them.

As Indicated, I am running all the content at base levels. 

My natural character was went to hunt Lost that were all purples, so I started doing a 2nd tier 5-9 arc so that I could level up that character a bit before going after the Lost.

• Thumbs Up 1

I looked ahead to the 15-20 Science contacts and saw the enemy group switched from Vazilok to Clockwork. I thought that is weird. I remember continuing that arc through some contact or another to fight the Dr Vazilok in the sewers (this was a mission where you could get the Vaz Sickness and your END would be gimped until you leveled up or repec'ed).  So I looked ahead to the 20-25 and it switches to Sky Raiders and Lost!

Yeah. It's looking like the fight against the Clockwork King in the sewers is probably gone as well.

I only have this one screen shot of fighting Dr Vaz in the sewers, but it is after his defeat. (and this file named "Yogi contemplating the death rrr arrest of Dr Vazhlok")

Yogi contemplating the death rrr arrest of Dr Vazhlok.jpg

But I have several screenshots of actively fighting the Clockwork King in the Sewers ... here's one ...

Clockwork King 1.jpg

So I know that stuff happened and was in the game at some point, but it appears to be gone now ... however, the quest continues to make sure...

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, lemming said:

My fighting Dr. Vaz in the sewers from Live:

Vetali_fightsdirty_web.jpg

Kicking below the belt!

The old nutcracker style attack!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Kicking below the belt!

The old nutcracker style attack!

Ah.  The 'old' 'breadbasket...one to the chicken nuggets.  (That'll hurt in the mornin', son.)

Admire what you're trying to do.

My old duo partner and I tried to do this and found it very difficult to do.  We had two 'natural' alts.  I guess you've got around that turning off xp.  Makes sense.

Along with the Kheldian arcs, I'm in favour of HC devs creating scrapper, tank, troller etc AT arcs that tailor missions to said ATs starting out like with the Origin contacts.

But following the 'Origin' arcs as you outline is something I'd like to do.  But I always found it a bit 'woolly' at times.  Maybe it just wasn't clear to me what the eg. Magic path through the game was.

We tried to get 'Oro' and level just by following arcs.

Maybe something for HC devs to think about.  Paths through the game and if anything can be done to make that more clear.

Just as, for me, the marketing side of the game, isn't clear either.  A quick Wentworth tutorial on completing arcs for merits to convert to converters and sell for coin.

Somethings may appear obvious, but it never was for me on Live or HC either.  Thanks to the community I'm a bit more enlightened than I was.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

2 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

guess you've got around that turning off xp.  Makes sense.

Since I'm running on flat,  I think I can do most of it without cutting off the xp gain. 

When I get up to about 8.5, I cut it off. You can't get the next contact until 9. I'm working on my Mutant character now and I have have completed the 5-9 contact and was just a little over level 8, but didn't have to run alternate content on that character because I wasn't getting sent on hunts that I had to level up in order to complete.

Maybe it just wasn't clear to me what the eg. Magic path through the game was.

When the game came out it was much clearer, and it sent you down that path to learn about the origins.

Everything started getting merged together later on ... kind of like everyone get sent to Praetorian contacts in First Ward and Night Ward when you hit like level 25-35. Not sure just what level that starts off hand.

Maybe something for HC devs to think about.  Paths through the game and if anything can be done to make that more clear.

An Icon(s) on the contact to indicate what kind of contact they are would make it easier if it appeared both during selection and when you talk to them as a contact.

Like an Origin symbol, hero/villain/praetorian symbol, etc.

You can kind of figure it out by reading their info, but, as you have stated, it isn't always clear.

Just as, for me, the marketing side of the game, isn't clear either.  A quick Wentworth tutorial on completing arcs for merits to convert to converters and sell for coin.

You are better off finding something to craft and sell and save your merits for enhancements that are pricey on the market.

If you don't understand crafting, the university tutorial is well worth the time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, okay. What is that all about?!

I'm working on my Tech character and Tony Kord won't talk to the character to give the character until they hit level 9. Then when the character hits level 9 and talks to Tony Kord, he gives you another tech contact, Carla Burnelli.

Seem okay, correct?

Carla Brunelli is a level 10-14 Tech contact so she won't talk to you until you hit level 10?!

Sort of makes sense I guess, but all the other level 10-14 Origin contacts gave the characters missions at level 9!

I'm starting to run into weird forking of contacts, and I'm confused as to what is going on.

It looks like it started with the 10-14 contacts

Tristan CaineJill Pastor, and Kyle Peck are all level 10-14 Science contacts and all have the "The Vahzilok Pollutant Plot (10-14)" arc, but the missions are slightly different.

My character was only direct to Jill Pastor. 

Is there some contact forking based on archetype?

15-19 Since contacts are Wyatt AndersonMaggie GreeneJake Montoya, and  Colleen Saramago and they all have the "The Mind of a King (15-19)" arc. They have all the same missions.

My character was only directed to Wyatt Anderson.

You can't seem to get these other contacts.

Apparently, you don't need to as they have the same mission arch, but why or how can you get the other ones as contacts?

Perhaps you simply can't get them at all at this point.

If it was only two, I would guess it would have been due to starting in Altas or Galaxy, but it is 3 contacts level 10-14 and four contact with the same arc at 15-19.

There may be a couple of things you're forgetting; maybe you're aware and it's not an objective. 
The Kheldian arcs - PB and WS both have a unique contact that other ATs dont' have access to, even in Ouro. 

9 minutes ago, Ukase said:

There may be a couple of things you're forgetting; maybe you're aware and it's not an objective. 
The Kheldian arcs - PB and WS both have a unique contact that other ATs dont' have access to, even in Ouro. 

I am aware that the both have individual contacts.

I'm working on the 5 hero side Origin arcs.

Kheldians don't have Origins perse. They are simply Peacebringer or Warshade. I understand that you pick an Origin, but the Origin doesn't have any impact that I can tell.

If you pick Peacebringer, you're natural.

If you pick Warshade, you're science.

Peacebringers start with Sunstorm who is a 1-50 natural contact

He is listed as providing 5-9 contacts: Detective Jose Brogan, Vic Johansson, and Rachel Torres (which?). These three are all listed as being natural origin, and all have the same story arc versus Lost. Vic is he primary contact for natural. Detective Jose Brogan is a 2nd tier contact option for 5-9 for Science origin, Vic for Tech, and Rachel for Magic.

[I played a Peacebringer since Homecoming and I think there were some level gaps but you could pretty much stick with Sunstorm from level 1-50 if you did some police missions or street sweeping where the level gaps occurred.]

The three contacts would route you off to level 10-14 natural contacts Lorenzo DiCostaWes Schnabel, or Willy Starbuck, who all provide the same arc. [I'm guessing Lorenzo DiCosta]

Warshades start with Shadowstar who is a 1-50 science contact

He is listed as providing 5-9 contact: Kip Cantorum. He is listed as being science origin. He wasn't an option for any of the characters I created as first or second tier contact for any origin. He appears to be the only contact I have run across that routes you to talk to David Wilcot (no "origin" contact) in the Hollows

[David Wilcott isn't offered as a contact contact perse. Any character at the appropriate level can walk in and talk to him. When you talk to him, he becomes a contact.]

Kip would route you off to 10-14 level science contacts Tristan CaineJill Pastor, or Kyle Peck, who all provide the same arc. [I'm guessing Jill Pastor]

So at level 10, the Peacebringers can follow the nature origin path, pick the 2nd tiers which branch into other origins, or continue to get missions from Sunstorm.

Likewise, Warshades could follow the science origin path, pick the 2nd tiers which branch into other origins, or continue to get missions from Shadowstar

What exploring this has shown me is that there is a lack of contact pathways to the Hazard Zone contacts.

We get the find contact option, but it doesn't give you contacts in the hazard zones.

The game entered a phase were funneling was necessary to direct the player base to the content that the DEVs felt important at the time. The funneling was into the co-op zones of first ward and night ward so that not only Heroes and Villains could be on the same team, but that Praetorians could be as well.

You can see this pretty obviously in the contact selection. 

This left the hazard zones waste lands where players had to go out of their way to get to the content. If you didn't investigate and find out what level to start in a zone you could very easily outlevel all the content before entering that hazard zone for the first time.

I understand that the routing away from hazard zones was partially due to people soloing and that hazard zones are really meant for team play.

Of course, the hazard zones really aren't part of origin content other to be sent to them to do hunt missions ... at least at the stage I have reached currently with my 5 origin characters used for this questing.

I was really worried that I had done something wrong with my natural character. 

The other Origin next level 14 contact opened at 14 or 15. But Natural didn't get the next Nature contact until I had leveled that character to 16.

So, it's very weird, I swear that you used to fight the 5th Column right away as Natural origin.  I distinctly remember way back in Issue 3 when I first started playing that my Martial Arts/Regen scrapper, my very first character, was super-impressed when the Level 4 Lieutenants did the same martial arts spinning kicks on me that I was using on them.

(In my defense, I had just come from EverQuest, where NPC animations were pretty limited.)

But once the Council took over from the 5th column, all of a sudden the level 2 Natural contact wasn't giving Council missions any more.  Maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me, I don't know.

7 hours ago, TalynDerre said:

So, it's very weird, I swear that you used to fight the 5th Column right away as Natural origin.  I distinctly remember way back in Issue 3 when I first started playing that my Martial Arts/Regen scrapper, my very first character, was super-impressed when the Level 4 Lieutenants did the same martial arts spinning kicks on me that I was using on them.

So yeah, I'm assuming it changed when this happened ...

"...Shortly after Issue 3 went live, the Council completed a hostile takeover where the war spilled over into the streets of Paragon City. Any 5th Column members that didn't join the Council were killed or went into hiding...." - https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/5th_Column

Note that the Natural Origin character starts fighting the Council and not 5th Column.

I'm assuming there might have been some negative feedback from some players because the 5th Column is far more SS Nazi-like than the Council.( https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/5th_Column_Controversy )

Oddly enough, they were added back in later on.

I still remember the 5th Column versus Council mass battle down in the warehouse district in Atlas.

7 hours ago, TalynDerre said:

But once the Council took over from the 5th column, all of a sudden the level 2 Natural contact wasn't giving Council missions any more.  Maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me, I don't know.

Yeah, I don't think that low level of Natural was ever giving Council missions. I think that those low level missions had been 5th Column missions instead before they were (temporarily) removed from the game.

The Council really doesn't get involved until Steel Canyon levels and that's why they aren't a target of contacts until after level 9.

• 4 weeks later

So my mutant character doing the mutant origin arcs is definitely close to battling Dr Vazhilok through the contact Juliana Nehring.

The character has come down with the Vahzilok Wasting Disease :: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Vahzilok_Wasting_Disease

Last time I ran this the Wasting Disease had been nerfed into the sniffles. I checked the debuff and didn't see anything like what the Wiki states. On Live it was definitely a massive hinderance compared to what it is now.

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

5 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

My Peacebringer is magic.

interesting. For some reason, I thought Peacebringers and Warshades had set origins.

I went to the test server and made one because it seemed so weird to me.

I was able to make a magic one. 

The whole Origin system is kind of thrown out to some extent. 

Regardless of your character's origin, you can pick any of the origin contacts through the contact menu.

Of course, all Peacebringers and Warshades start out with their own Kheldian contact and are not required to pick any of the origin contacts.

I was slowed down with this project during the Halloween even and, honestly, it is getting a bit slow going with long (time-wise) mission as part of arcs.

I'm unsure if at this point if I'm going to try to get all 5 characters to the end arc boss before fighting any of the end arc bosses or if I'll start fighting the ones that the characters have already reached.

It seems a bit odd that some will unlock at level 16 but other Origin contacts send you away until you're level 19. (I have to make sure to lock them once they reach level 19 so that they don't outlevel their contact).