MA - Scrapper or Brute?

drgantz

Brute = Increasing your dmg the more you fight.  It will be very hard to keep that dmg going up, especially when soloing. But if your a team and you keep rushing forward cuz you got DMG meter stuck in your brain, you could get murdered or annoy your team.

Scrapper = Constant dmg + Crits. You may get stuck in Scrapperlock, see above statement about annoying your team or getting killed.

Either are fine, question comes down to what is your secondary?  Brute is a better choice for Resistance based set, cuz they can reach up to hard cap of 90%(Though harder)

While Res sets are honestly not great for Scrappers capping at 75%  While Def sets are far superior for them.

• Like 1

Thank you for  your response.  The toon will be MA/SR, and I plan to mostly group. I also know that SR is usually better with Scrapper. 
The main part of my question is that Brute gives a Def bonus with Storm Kick, while Scrapper doesn't.  It is for this reason that I wonder if Brute might be a better choice.
Thanks.

1 hour ago, drgantz said:

Thank you for  your response.  The toon will be MA/SR, and I plan to mostly group. I also know that SR is usually better with Scrapper. 
The main part of my question is that Brute gives a Def bonus with Storm Kick, while Scrapper doesn't.  It is for this reason that I wonder if Brute might be a better choice.
Thanks.

Scrapper - Martial Arts - Super Reflexes.mxd

This build is soft capped, high recharge/dmg.  Yes it's going cost you some cash, but all good builds do.  You'll needs Mids Reborn to see it, if you don't have that program(Hero Designer)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drgantz said:

Thanks.

Since you're going SR, you don't need the +def that the brute gets. Course, the SR brute won't need it either.

The brute will be easier to level up thanks to that extra defense but if you build around that, you'll always have to have storm kick in play buuuut that's not really a problem. Looks like my ST chain on my ma/elec brute is CAK, CS, SK, repeat and that lets her softcap melee but with zero DDR, that doesn't stick around for long.

On the other hand, brute higher HP and higher resist caps mean you get more out of SR's scaling resists and the Reactive Defense Scaling Resist.

End the end, it seems, for an MA/SR character, the question is: More Damage with a scrap or More Mitigation with a brute? Make that choice and run with it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it wasn't a SR, I would say Scrapper all the way, every day.  I just don't like SR on a Scrapper, it only feels half-cooked.  But on a Scrapper, if you drop the Superior Critical Strikes proc into Eagle's Claw, MA turns into an absolute machine at the drop of a hat.  You can GET there on a Brute, but it takes some doing.

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 7/13/2022 at 3:53 AM, JJDrakken said:

Scrapper = Constant dmg + Crits. You may get stuck in Scrapperlock, see above statement about annoying your team or getting killed.

At least with a scrapper you can offer a "pobody's nerfect! 🤷‍♂️" in chat and they'll forgive you.  Because, you know, you're a scrapper.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 4 weeks later