WORST solo challange.

Greymistbc1

1 minute ago, Gamlain said:

I was going to suggest a Archery/Empathy corrupter or Empathy/archery defender but now I sort of wanna try it.

This is a worrying sign, isn't it.

It's a given that almost anything with "Empathy" involved is not going to be a good solo.

1 hour ago, Stormwalker said:

It's a given that almost anything with "Empathy" involved is not going to be a good solo.

Does have to get built for it.  Which the OP rules pretty much are guaranteed to inhibit.  While I've never outright leveled 1 to 50 on an Empath I've spent a lot of time (What do you mean of course!?) soloing them including an AR/Emp Corruptor who solo'd the vast majority of the journey post 30th.  I think slow describes it better than not good, though I'll grant there's a lot of eye of the beholder in that equation.  None of my Empaths were as hard to solo as that Ice/Sonic Controller.

How about an EMP/AR Corr or Mind/FF Troller, Ice/emp Troller if that wasnt listed already.

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

Oh you sweet, summer children. All of those of you planning to buff your pets... that you won't have for another 31 levels. 

Remember "solo anything" was the criteria. How are you gonna solo Positron 2 with that, huh? HUH?!

19 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

But on a troller, Kin + Spirit Ward + Enflame make my earth pet a flaming bag of poop that kicks ass.

No poop for you!

On 7/18/2022 at 3:23 PM, Uun said:

You could make Jack virtually indestructible though. Now if you could only buff his AI.

Jack all's gonna happen for the first 31 levels. 

8 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

Mind/FF Troller

Mind solos very well and FF gives you mez protection.

Pets aside, I will say that controllers are much too safe to be considered the worst at soloing. You can lock down anything below a boss before they even see you for a long time and Containment means they do a respectable amount of damage. 

The goal is to find the worst... and you all seem to suck at it.

Edited by Gulbasaur
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

On 7/17/2022 at 4:36 PM, Greymistbc1 said:

So, I commented to my wife that I could solo anything.... which had me thinking.  What would be the _worst_.

Here's the rules:

1. Solo.
2. Full access to primary, Secondary, Pool and Epic. (no petless MM's).
3. No IO's or Sets.  Purchased or dropped enhancements only.
4. Prestige and Temp powers are OK, but you must fund your journey without outside help.

So far, the worst I can think of would be a AR/Pain or Rad/Pain Corruptor.   

Any suggestions?  

Thanks!

I have done this challenge before, with a couple of differences:
If you get defeated, you get deleted.
No buying anything. You have to rely on your drops. No merit vendor, no AH, and no accepting gifts from well-intentioned players. 

I've never succeeded, and the biggest reason why is for whatever reason, end mod enhancements and recipes just don't drop very often. No endurance, you just can't defeat mobs very easily. I tried Bio armor, and I got to level 17. I went a different route with a dark/rad corruptor and got level 23. Tried a dark/dark defender, got to 27. I still have a couple of characters that are in the challenge, but I haven't logged them in for quite some time. 

They were all painful to play. The fun part was when something dropped. I got happier about an end mod DO then I would about a purple/very rare. (And anecdotally, I think end mod drops are more rare than a purple recipe.) 

As for a suggestion, I'd go with Bio anything, simply because of the adaptive ability to be efficient and use less endurance, or if melee isn't your style, while Rad does offer AM, it's easier to manage endurance, but you will suffer if you try to make effective use of Radiation infection or Enervating Field. 

Dark was the easiest due to the -toHit from just about every attack. I rarely took damage. I was in First Ward and was trying to get away from an Ambush but failed, lol. For whatever reason, there was an elite boss in the finale of a story arc that just clobbered me. I do still remember the slow pace of having to rest between every other mob. Still, it was viable. Not sure how viable it would be in the 30's against something like Freakshow with their end draining abilities. 

So, if ranged, go with dark, Maybe dark/cold, dark/rad corruptor. 

Edited by Ukase

13 hours ago, Gamlain said:

I was going to suggest a Archery/Empathy corrupter or Empathy/archery defender but now I sort of wanna try it.

This is a worrying sign, isn't it.

I got an Archery/Pain corruptor into the mid 30s and just had to stop.

Who run Bartertown?

7 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

Remember "solo anything" was the criteria. How are you gonna solo Positron 2 with that, huh? HUH?!

Now why would I try to solo Posi 2.  Hmm solo anything.  Guess it depends on how literally you take that.  There are damn few (any?) High end IO builds that can literally solo anything.  I certainly wouldn't beat my head too hard trying on the journey up then set it aside to do later while exemplared.

7 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

No poop for you!

Jack all's gonna happen for the first 31 levels. 

Pets aside, I will say that controllers are much too safe to be considered the worst at soloing. You can lock down anything below a boss before they even see you for a long time and Containment means they do a respectable amount of damage. 

Endurance, endurance, endurance.  Could I have solo'd that Ice/Sonic to Jack.  But doing single pulls on everything then having to rest between each pull ... .  Now that Controller had been teaming but the sg group sort of fell apart so the build would have done better with a respec but when I say couldn't fight free of a wet paper bag before bottoming the blue bar that wasn't particularly hyperbolic.

Thinking about it, I'm going to suggest a kinetics/assault rifle defender as probably the worst solo choice.

In kinetics:

• Poor self-sustain if you want to play at range- Kinetics has the second strongest AoE heal in the game, but it's enemy targetted and can miss. To be healed, you have to be both in melee range of enemies, and pass an accuracy check, which is actively made harder to use by:
  • Repel - a power that constantly pushes enemies away from you with knockback, meaning if you are using it, you'll have to herd enemies into a corner to get a semi-reliable heal
  • Underwhelming debuffs - 20% recharge debuff and -25% damage debuff, which are fine but scales with purple patch stuff so you will have a harder time fighting harder mobs
  • Buffs that don't benefit you - Speed boost? Not for you. Increased density? Not for you. Yeah, you can pump up the damage, but only if you live long enough to do any.

In assault rifle

• Long animations - middling damage, long animations. A lot of your time will be spent waiting for an attack to go off while you just absorb damage, unable to hit Transfusion.
  • No aim - so it gives no benefit to Kinetics.
  • Three cones - cones can work well with other cones, but kinetics requires you to play up close if you want to heal.
  • Two unhelpful AoEs - Kinetics likes enemies to be clumped together for Fulcrum Shift and Ignite creates a stationary patch.

Galaxy Brain's Blaster Primary Comparison: Standard Environment Testing puts AR as second-to-last above Sonic... on a Blaster. Sonic on a Defender is much more workable, and of the two, I'd suggest that Sonic's Amplify pushes it into a better position for acting as a good combo with Kinetics. The best AR has is one -DEF power, helping your heal (or buff/debuff powers) land.

If we're looking at more anti-synergy, I might suggest Power Mastery as an epic power pool choice; it's a solid choice for most defenders, but doesn't really solve any problems a solo kinetics player has. Conserve Energy reduces endurance cost and kinetics has Transference, which is an instant endurance heal. Power Build Up is just not much use - by that point, you'll have fulcrum shift so your damage will be capped and yeah, your heal will be better, but you're still in melee range.

I'd also argue that Kinetics benefits least from the Defender Inherent (which isn't great to begin with). You'll be able to pump yourself up to Blaster damage, briefly and with long gaps in between, but only by repeatedly opening yourself up to higher damage.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

The most painful solo experience I ever had, and really just the most underwhelming character in general, was a FF/AR Defender.

No debuffs, no secondary effects from AR besides a tiny -def from Burst, pathetic damage... it was an exceptionally painful experience, even on teams, and eventually I just deleted the character and rerolled as a AR/Rad Corruptor.

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.