I do not know if this is possible, but I would like some new archtypes

I would like an archtype with its primary as blaster primaries and it's secondary as controller primary.  Ie: Blaster fire / ice controller.  I know some of you may be thinking dominator, but it's really missing the good stuff from their sudo-blaster trees.  IE: Compare blaster fire vs domiator fire.  Just for a name, I would call this archtype "Warlock"

The next one I would like to see is a Mastermind Primary (in the primary slot) paired  with blaster primary's (in the secondary spot).  Maybe this could be called a "Tactician"

I would assume the blasts would not be "full".  Only the blaster has full blats, everyone else has a nerfed one.  AKA the blaster powers are much weaker for non blasters.  I would assume this would be the same.  As for the controller powers, that might be an issue but other AT have controller powers which are weaker, aka dominators.  I am not looking at a 10 /10 blaster / controller, but more like a 7/7 version which is inline with everything else.

The could simply do a mechanic where the weaker ( as in less hit points)  the enemies are the stronger your control is. 

The next one I would like to see is a Mastermind Primary (in the primary slot) paired  with blaster primary's (in the secondary spot).  Maybe this could be called a "Tactician"

That might cause some redraw issues with the MM primary's attacks, but would otherwise be an interesting AT to play. You could play it defensively by having your pets on Guard mode to soak damage, or go all-out and blast alongside your pets.

What I think would be interesting for that would be an inherent that gives your attacks a chance to heal or +Def/+Res your pets while they're near you.

I have a water/atomic blaster and I feel that's what you're looking for. Water is an awesome primary. Atomic has an immob, a hold, and a few debuffs. The sets seem to work really well together. Both sets have a build up, so when one is down, the other is usually available.

That might cause some redraw issues with the MM primary's attacks, but would otherwise be an interesting AT to play. You could play it defensively by having your pets on Guard mode to soak damage, or go all-out and blast alongside your pets.

What I think would be interesting for that would be an inherent that gives your attacks a chance to heal or +Def/+Res your pets while they're near you.

Many of the Masterminds have had to deal with redraw issues since they were created.  It's similar to how most of the Weapon-using PowerSets have to work with since Beta.  Assault Rifle using their Secondary, any type of Archery for Defenders, or all of the blades the melee classes have had to redraw since the game started.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

• 2 weeks later

i had a similar thought myself. Sentinels are an interesting development. if only because they show what is possible just by mixing and matching established sets. here's some ideas i had. of all power sets, 3 stand out as not being shared among other AT's: Mastermind Pets, Blaster Manipulation and Dominator Assaults. Masterminds can keep the pets as their signature.

The Catalyst: (aka The Fool, Enabler) concept being Jackie Chan, MrBean, JarJar Binks etc. that hapless individual that is just lucky or klutzy enough to make insane things happen.

primary - Assault (Dominator secondary)

Secondary - Buff (Defender Primaries, Controller scale)

The Ace (aka Jack of all trades): concept being that unique member that always seems to have the right tools to be able to pull off the right move at the right time. also blapper?

Primary - Manipulation (blaster secondary)

Secondary - Assault (Dominator secondary's)

inherent power: Competitive streak - each teammate increases power secondary effects by 2-5%, each other Ace on the team drops acc/dam by 2-5%. this would represent the team synergy that builds with an Ace. Also the mis-coordination and interference when you have two people both trying to be the Ace.

The Commander (Aka Bully or action hero):

Primary - Melee (buff secondary effects, tanker scale damage)

Secondary - Control (reduce damage, duration and secondary effects, leave magnitude as is)

what are others ideas and thoughts?

i had a similar thought myself. Sentinels are an interesting development. if only because they show what is possible just by mixing and matching established sets. here's some ideas i had. of all power sets, 3 stand out as not being shared among other AT's: Mastermind Pets, Blaster Manipulation and Dominator Assaults. Masterminds can keep the pets as their signature.

The Catalyst: (aka The Fool, Enabler) concept being Jackie Chan, MrBean, JarJar Binks etc. that hapless individual that is just lucky or klutzy enough to make insane things happen.

primary - Assault (Dominator secondary)

Secondary - Buff (Defender Primaries, Controller scale)

The Ace (aka Jack of all trades): concept being that unique member that always seems to have the right tools to be able to pull off the right move at the right time. also blapper?

Primary - Manipulation (blaster secondary)

Secondary - Assault (Dominator secondary's)

inherent power: Competitive streak - each teammate increases power secondary effects by 2-5%, each other Ace on the team drops acc/dam by 2-5%. this would represent the team synergy that builds with an Ace. Also the mis-coordination and interference when you have two people both trying to be the Ace.

The Commander (Aka Bully or action hero):

Primary - Melee (buff secondary effects, tanker scale damage)

Secondary - Control (reduce damage, duration and secondary effects, leave magnitude as is)

what are others ideas and thoughts?

Well thought out, I like it. Don’t like the name for the catalyst though - can we come up with something heroic?

/Signed

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I would like an archtype with its primary as blaster primaries and it's secondary as controller primary.  Ie: Blaster fire / ice controller.  I know some of you may be thinking dominator, but it's really missing the good stuff from their sudo-blaster trees.  IE: Compare blaster fire vs domiator fire.  Just for a name, I would call this archtype "Warlock"

The first one is just Dominator, and yes, in most cases, Doms are better at blasting than most blasters are.

The second one is just Soldier of Arachnos.

If you want to be a Mastermind with blasts, then take the Mastermind's blasts.

Of course new ATs are possible, but it takes a lot of work.  you need to design all the primaries and secondaries, balance everything, come up with all the animations for the powers whether new or borrowed from other sets, come up with the ATOs for the new AT... really I doubt I could name half the things you have to do to make it all work, but I know you have to comb through the entire game code to make sure everything is working correctly in regards to an entire new AT.

Sentinels are a new AT, so that proves you can do it.  They're new to most people here but they've actually been around on the SCORE server for quite some time I think, and people still think they're not really complete and need a little reworking.  I see lots and lots of suggestions on what would make a cool new AT, but the amount of work involved to make something like that happen is well beyond what most people imagine, I think.

But I will be surprised if Sentinels are the last new AT we ever see.  ;)

Of course new ATs are possible, but it takes a lot of work.  you need to design all the primaries and secondaries, balance everything, come up with all the animations for the powers whether new or borrowed from other sets, come up with the ATOs for the new AT... really I doubt I could name half the things you have to do to make it all work, but I know you have to comb through the entire game code to make sure everything is working correctly in regards to an entire new AT.

Sentinels are a new AT, so that proves you can do it.  They're new to most people here but they've actually been around on the SCORE server for quite some time I think, and people still think they're not really complete and need a little reworking.  I see lots and lots of suggestions on what would make a cool new AT, but the amount of work involved to make something like that happen is well beyond what most people imagine, I think.

But I will be surprised if Sentinels are the last new AT we ever see.  ;)

So long as the AT literally brings no new powerset to the table unique to them, the rest is just database adjustments.  As new as the Sentinel is, it really doesn't bring any new powerset in to play.  It modifies most of the Blast sets to alter their Snipes to being something else, and ties the animation of them to something that already exists, but you can take Sonic Blast between Blaster, Sentinel, Corruptor, and Defender and only see the differences in the base damage (and Inherent interaction).

Building a Melee/Pets AT and doing a direct copy of the Brute Primaries with just the Mastermind Pets as Secondaries, or Pets/Manipulation AT with Mastermind Primaries and Blaster Secondaries, while bringing absolutely no new powersets (like Dinosaur Pets and Gravity Manipulation) wouldn't be that hard.

The real difficulty, as the Sentinel AT already shows, is setting up the Inherent and what it does, while making it fun and balanced.  You could just incorporate them in to the powers, much like the Tankers are set up, or have it as a build-up release mechanic that the Sentinels and Dominators have.  But that balance and fun issue will always be in question.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

The issue comes in Magnitudes and Durations. Control is a primary powers because if you took the mags or durations down it would be largely ineffective. And if you didn't, you'd have an AT with full blasts and full controls.

What about control powers in Blaster secondary sets? They don't seem ineffective.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

I've been wanting a melee support role. I've messed around with some ideas, here's what I've come up with.

-

Warden

Primary-Defensive armors

Invulnerability, Regeneration, ETC.  These would be modified, however, as I'll show later.

Secondary-Melee

Martial Arts, Titan Weapons, ETC..  Their taunt would not be a full taunt, but a provoke.

Inherent-Protective Aura

This aura extends your active defenses into an aura that affects teammates within X feet/meters, at a Y% strength. In the case of multiple wardens, only the strongest of these auras is taken into account. (These would need to be heavily tweaked for balance).

--

Example concepts:

Warden Regeneration

Reconstruction (Becomes a faster to recharge, weaker AoE heal, closer to thermal radiation)

Fast Healing (doesn't extend, isn't active)

Quick Recovery (doesn't extend, isn't active)

Dull Pain (performs heal, grants % HP boost per character when it pops off for duration)

Integration (extends regen bonus (!) + hold power resistance to all in range)

Resilience (extends regen bonus (!!) + more hold resistance to all in range)

Instant Healing (extends resistance shield/regen bonus (!!!) to all in range)

Revive (may be triggered now when not dead, but revives others if done so and blows the cooldown.  If reviving multiple people, divides the replenished HP by the number of people revived. If done while dead, only revives the user.)

Moment of Glory (Two options for these "super buffs."  One- they don't extend to others. Balance issue solved. Two- They extend to others, much balance tweaking required.)

Other example:

Charged Armor (extends damage resistance)

Lightning Field (Does nothing. If allowed, it would basically mean wardens would just become mega-farms extending damage shields.)

Static Shield  (extends resistance)

Conductive Shield (extends Damage Resistance for energies)

Grounded (does nothing, not active)

Lightning Reflexes (does nothing, not active)

Conserve Power (extends reduced benefit to teammates in range)

Power Sink (spreads the endurance siphoned among the teammates in range)

Power Surge (same as above w/ regen).

As a side note I would also say the Warden's provoke should have a secondary effect, like a short-lived application of the shields or passives in a small AoE around the enemy hit.

You can see how this could get absolutely freeming redonkulous if the numbers for the inherent power were allowed to be high and stacked Per Warden, which is why I'm presenting something in the very low ranges and non-stacking.  I would also suggest a pretty low range for this extension, like 15 feet instead of 30.

A single warden that defense caps, extending to everyone else in full, would just be plain broken with dark attack users.  A Super Reflexes user, extending just 10-20% of their ability to the squishies that pulled aggro, would really help.  So while I introduce the idea, I suggest extending a fairly low% of their abilities and range, making them have to prioritize who they protect and being supplemental to a team, rather than simply overpowering that team.  It's not meant to replace tankers, scrappers, or brutes, nor defenders or corruptors, but meant for support melee. So I would also suggest scrapper level HP at best, so they'd have to know how to take care of themselves, while still having the defensive abilities and support in the front lines.  I would also juggle the idea that some passive skills meant more for soloing could be replaced with direct heals.

I would also very strongly suggest that the extension of these shields be relegated to a singular "ping" style particle acknowledging you're being affected, like what happens with a sentinal's inherent power, as the particle effect explosion from these would be utterly insane otherwise.

What about control powers in Blaster secondary sets? They don't seem ineffective.

Rylas - +1 for your signature line...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Well thought out, I like it. Don’t like the name for the catalyst though - can we come up with something heroic?
The Warden? The Wildcard?

I like the Wildcard... :)

What I'd really like is a Rikti EAT of some kind. Been milling around a basic concept while I sort things out:

Rikti Soldiers would be able to start as Traditionalists (Heroes) or Restructurists (Villains), but not as Praetorians (though sufficiently leveled Rikti may venture to said zones).

The archetype itself would be designed with flexibility in mind, with the base powersets providing a solid mix of offense and defense. At later levels, Rikti Soldiers may choose from several specialized "Lineage Pools" that allow them to serve in several capacities outside of pure damage dealing/tanking.

Primary Powerset - Rikti Weaponry: An "Assault"-style powerset that involves the usage of the Sword-Gun and features a combination of ranged and melee attacks dealing Energy and Lethal/Energy damage respectively. Slow, but strong. Has fewer powers than a typical offensive set, but one of the Lineage pools (see below) includes additional powers to be used with the set (Akin to how Mace Mastery would work for a Bane Spider Soldier).

Secondary Powerset - Battle Armor: A power armor-themed defensive set that offers some good resistances and "servo enhancements" that can boost some of the user's abilities. Not as resistance heavy as Invuln, but a little more so than Willpower. Features strong resistances to Smashing, Lethal, Energy and Psionic damage, but only rudimentary resistances against Cold, Fire, Toxic and Negative energy damage (reflecting the Rikti vulnerability to magic). The Battle Armor has an in-built point-to-point portal generator akin to those found on Headman Gunmen that allows the Soldier to Teleport.

Inherent - Rikti Physiology: Rikti Soldiers gain moderate passive resistances to Psionic Damage, Sleep, Disorient and Fear, as well as minor passive boosts to Acc and Recharge rates. Their psionic nature allows them to impart a portion of the Acc and Recharge rate boost to teammates. This boost stacks with each Rikti Soldier on the team up to a total of four times.

Inherent "Origin" Power - Rikti Pistol: In lieu of the typical Tranq Dart/Throwing Knives/Mutagen/Taser Dart/Apprentice Charm, Rikti Soldiers carry a light sidearm that can fire a plasma bolt that deals minor energy damage and has a chance to disorient a target for a brief amount of time.

Lineage Power Pools: A unique feature of the AT. In addition to the regular power pools, Rikti Soldiers gain access to a collection of power pools at level 4 that would allow them to gain access to a varied mix of abilities like those used by Rikti NPCs ingame. For example, a Soldier that takes the Science pool would gain access to a light mix of Radiation/Force Field powers akin to Guardian infantry that would allow him to provide more support to their group, while a Soldier that takes the Technology pool can call in Rikti Monkey and Drone support akin to a Comm. Officer, as well as summon their allies. These Pools do not replace the default Power Pools (Though Rikti may not use Concealment, Super Jump or Teleport Powerpools, as a few of the Lineage pools fill their roles), and a Soldier may take powers from up to two pools total, in addition to the four maximum allowed default Power Pools. Like Kheldians, Rikti do not have access to Patron or Ancillary power pools. Lineage pools include:

• Law - Based on: Priests. Allows the usage of a mixture of Empathy and Kinetics powers to support allies and debuff enemies.
  • Science - Based on: Guardians. Allows the use of Radiation and Force Field powers to support allies.
  • Subterfuge - Based on: Headman Gunmen. Grants stealth powers that allow Soldiers to ambush and sabotage enemies.
  • Technology - Based on: Communications Officers. Grants summoning powers that allow the user to call two permanent, controllable Drone allies to his side. These Drones have a modest energy attack that can potentially knockdown foes and are very nimble, but quite fragile. Additionally, Tech pool users can unleash small (temporary) hordes of ravenous Rikti monkeys upon foes, and use portals to summon allies to them, individually or in groups.
  • Thought - Based on: Mentalists and Mesmerists. This pool grants access to a fairly wide variety of psionic attacks and control abilities, allowing the soldier to telepathically assault and dominate their foes.
  • War - Based on: Chief Soldiers. This pool adds several more powers to the Rikti Weaponry power pool

Just sort of a base idea I've had floating around in my head for a bit. Playing a Rikti always sounded hella fun to me.

I've been wanting a melee support role. I've messed around with some ideas, here's what I've come up with.

-

Warden

Primary-Defensive armors

Invulnerability, Regeneration, ETC.  These would be modified, however, as I'll show later.

Secondary-Melee

Martial Arts, Titan Weapons, ETC..  Their taunt would not be a full taunt, but a provoke.

Inherent-Protective Aura

This aura extends your active defenses into an aura that affects teammates within X feet/meters, at a Y% strength. In the case of multiple wardens, only the strongest of these auras is taken into account. (These would need to be heavily tweaked for balance).

Defensive primary, melee secondary exists.  They are called tankers.

They protect the team by keeping bad guy focus on themselves.

The idea that you have for a mechanic was one I suggested that might be used to make multiple tankers more desirable in teams, but that it would stack...  Limiting these mechanics to where only one is useful is really telling people that only one of a given AT is desired in a group and I think that that is a bad idea.