The dose makes the poison, and YOU make the dose - with the TOXIC BLAST powerset!

...especially now that "Toxic defense" finally exists, so why not?!?

As the opening description implies, this could have at least 3 distinct animation/appearance-styles right off the bat.

TOXIC BLAST (Ranged)

Available to: Corrupters, Defenders, Sentinels, Blasters

Set Color: Mustard Yellow-on-Dark Cyan

Scour your enemies with venom, acid, or toxic waste! Compared to other Ranged sets, this set does only average damage (much of it damage over time), has inferior range, and lacks a sniper power, but makes up for it with a diverse arsenal of crippling debuffs and effects.

1) Acid Spit – a basic attack that corrodes your target's defense and damage resistance.

Damage: Minor Toxic Recharge: Fast

2) Venomous Blast – a moderate attack that weakens your target's damage.

Damage: Moderate Toxic Recharge: Fast

3) Toxic Cloud – you send forth a cloud of poisonous gas that harms a group of foes and may briefly sicken them into helplessness.

Damage: Moderate Toxic (DoT) Recharge: Moderate

4) Neurotoxic Breath – you spew forth a neurotoxin that slows your enemies' movement and attack rates.

Damage: Moderate Toxic (DoT) Recharge: Moderate

5) Cobra Venom – assaults your victim's eyes with poison; damage is only minor, but the target's chance to hit will be massively reduced and it is likely to be completely blinded.

Damage: Minor Toxic Recharge: Moderate

6) Power Boost - similar to Dominator Assault power

7) Slime Wave – a moderate-ranged cone attack that does a lot of damage and reduces enemy damage resistance.

Damage: Superior Toxic (DoT) Recharge: Moderate

😎 Hazardous Spill – you cover a patch of ground with toxic waste. Those who pass through it are contaminated, taking serious damage and dealing less damage themselves (this latter effect persists even if they leave the patch).

Damage: Extreme Toxic (DoT) Recharge: Slow

9) Venusian Miasma – You saturate the air around you with carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid, creating conditions much like the atmosphere of Venus. Enemies in this miasma take massive Toxic damage over time, have their defense gravely corroded, suffer reduced range for any ranged abilities, and are likely to be immobilized.

Damage: Extreme Toxic (DoT) Recharge: Very Long

Example Character Concept: The Vile Pollutia! (Villainous Toxic Blast/Poison Science Corrupter)

Edited by AspieAnarchy
color-coded attack damage-types
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

17 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Where's the -res and -regen?

Acid Spit serves up -res from the get-go, and Slime Wave (intended to be the "crown jewel" of the set's damage output) lays out even more.

Fair point, however, about -regen!

Edited by AspieAnarchy

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

Slime Wave: Steam Spray (Just as globs or sewer water spray.) Edit: Alternate animation: Abomination vomit so @kelika2 can vomit on things. En masse.

Hazardous Spill: Uhm... Mud Pots?

Venusian Miasma: Choking Cloud or Irradiated Ground?

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 1:35 AM, AspieAnarchy said:

6) Power Boost - similar to Dominator Assault power

Blast sets don't get Power Boost, they get Aim (or equivalent).

• Thumbs Down 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

5 hours ago, Uun said:

Blast sets don't get Power Boost, they get Aim (or equivalent).

This one's meant to be a little different in that way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Not going to happen. Blasters have Power Boost in /Energy and corruptors and defenders have it in Soul Mastery (and Power Build Up in Power Mastery). 

• Thumbs Down 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

12 hours ago, Turric said:

What animations do you propose for the last 3 powers? (Slime Wave, Hazardous Spill and Venusian Miasma).

Like I said, there would be at least 3 distinct themes for this from the get-go: 'Venom', 'Acid', and 'Toxic Waste'.

This would mean different graphics for the projectiles, but also some different animations in some cases (e.g. Acid Spit and Cobra Venom would certainly be 'spitting' graphics in the 'Venom' version, but not necessarily in the other two).

For the final 3, I was, to start off with, envisioning:

Slime Wave - a broad sweep of the arm

Hazardous Spill - Here's your vomit right here, kelika2! Think the aftereffect of Poison/Elixir of Life, but something is actually left behind.

Venusian Miasma - I had not yet put more effort into this than the standard 'arms out', or 'beckoning up', or 'literal X-Man' poses one sees in many PBAoE powers.

Rudra's suggested alternatives are all good as well.

To be clear, the 'Slime' I was envisioning was supposed to be in the vein of 'Toxic Crusader'/'Nickelodeon' slime.

14 minutes ago, AspieAnarchy said:

It may be meant to be different, but @Uun isn't wrong. As a Blaster primary, it would most likely get Aim instead of Power Boost. Especially since as @Uun said, Blasters already get Power Boost in one of their secondaries.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Uun said:

Not going to happen. Blasters have Power Boost in /Energy and corruptors and defenders have it in Soul Mastery (and Power Build Up in Power Mastery). 

That's specifically why I went with the Dominator version (and even then, it's not like it wouldn't inevitably be tailored more toward individual Archetypes if implemented).

Most Blasters already have the potential to get two "+Acc, +Dam" powers, the figures are just a little different.

What makes you think this is "not going to happen"? I see no reason it shouldn't/couldn't.

Yes, if you pick the power sets that have it, you can get access to both Aim and a supplemental +Acc/+Dam power. No one is saying your proposal shouldn't do that. All @Uun is saying is that all Blaster primaries with a +Acc/+Dam power use Aim. Not Build Up. Not Power Boost. (Though some get alternate versions with weaker bonuses like Psychic Focus and Charge Up, and Assault Rifle and Dual Pistols get nothing.)

There is no AT that has any combination of power sets that I know of where you can get the same power twice.

Edit: Of course, you could replace Power Boost in your set with a custom power that gives +Acc, +Dam, and some minor secondary buff. That is perfectly feasible too. The +Acc and +Dam would be necessarily lower than Aim to account for the secondary buffs, but it is still an option.

Edit again: Maybe something like:

Walking Disaster: +40% ToHit, +50% Damage, +10% secondary effects? (The 40% and 50% are stolen from Charge Up and Psychic Focus.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AspieAnarchy said:

What makes you think this is "not going to happen"? I see no reason it shouldn't/couldn't.

The issue is not the +dmg or +acc, it's the +special. Being able to stack two powers that did this would be extremely OP.

Greatly boosts the secondary effects of your powers. Your powers effects like Heals, Defense Buffs, Endurance Drains, Disorients, Holds, Immobilizes, Knockbacks and more, are all improved.

+74.5% Heal Dmg, Absorb, Endurance, RunningSpeed, FlyingSpeed, Confused, Terrorized, Held, Immobilized, Stunned, Sleep Strength (self only) for 10s

+74.5% Ranged, Melee, Area, Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Energy, Negative Energy, Psionic, Toxic, Base Defense, ToHit Strength (self only) for 10s

15 hours ago, kelika2 said:

I dont care about the details I just want to vomit on things.  My Necro/mako isnt doing it anymore

I have wanted this since the first time I had Vaz Abominations power barf me to death back around issue 1.

I don't care if it the fountain effect or the power chuck across the room - ....ooooh spray like the time i ate too much watermelon as a kid.

Edited by starro
clarification
  • Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

3 hours ago, Rudra said:

Edit again: Maybe something like:

Walking Disaster: +40% ToHit, +50% Damage, +10% secondary effects? (The 40% and 50% are stolen from Charge Up and Psychic Focus.)

This would not be bad, and it's not like it would have to be a direct duplicate of the Dominator version(s) - in fact, I assumed it ultimately wouldn't be.

The name's not bad, either!

Also, an idea just struck me: What if a caveat were included that it "shared a cooldown" with other "Power Boost" powers (like many powers already do, so it's not like that wouldn't be doable)?

I'm quite open to constructive feedback - it's just that Uun got us started on the wrong foot by saying "not gonna happen", which is a dead-ender for discussion.

My goal here is to emphasize the secondary effects more - your model above is good, but is there any reason we couldn't adjust those numbers to something more like

'+20% ToHit, +35% Damage, +35% secondary effects'?

Again, I assume that each AT would have slightly different numbers for this per their intended specialties (or perhaps to complement them - i.e. Defenders might get the best acc/dam buffs, Blasters the best secondary effect buff).

Aside from the fact that I already tried to avoid duplicating the Power Boost powers available to Corrupters, Defenders, and Blasters who pick a specific secondary/tertiary, the argument they already get them just leaves me shrugging; it's not very fair to gyp all the Toxic Blasters who don't take sets that otherwise don't go very well with most concepts that Toxic Blast would lend itself to, is it (again, if it would really be that bad, try the "shared cooldown" trick floated above)? I feel like saying "nope, shouldn't even try to do something because the power-gamers will abuse it" gives that lot supreme control of the game and ruins it for everyone else.

A guy goes to the doctor's office and says, "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this," to which the doctor replies, "Well then, stop doing that!"

2 minutes ago, AspieAnarchy said:

My goal here is to emphasize the secondary effects more - your model above is good, but is there any reason we couldn't adjust those numbers to something more like

'+20% ToHit, +35% Damage, +35% secondary effects'?

*shrug* I'm just using the already exists powers of Psychic Focus and Charge Up as the basis. Pitch those stats instead if you want. I don't see why it couldn't be done. Just that having potential access to Power Boost twice would be very not likely.

3 hours ago, Rudra said:

There is no AT that has any combination of power sets that I know of where you can get the same power twice.

Not precisely, but have you ever considered just how many Placates Stalkers can have at their disposal with the help of Pool Powers, Accolade powers, and certain other temporary powers? Pacify from the Presence Pool and Beguile from the Socialite Accolade (and the latter doesn't even cost a power-selection slot!) are only the beginning; someone who really worked at it could pull at least 5 of those suckers in a row.

5 minutes ago, Rudra said:

*shrug* I'm just using the already exists powers of Psychic Focus and Charge Up as the basis. Pitch those stats instead if you want. I don't see why it couldn't be done. Just that having potential access to Power Boost twice would be very not likely.

That's fair; like I said, I tried to recognize and do something about that much.

This set is intended to be one of those "exception to the rule" types of powersets of which there are already many, many of which are much more radical.

Ice Blast is the "Control set of Ranged sets"; Illusion Control is "the Ur-Mastermind"; Storm Summoning and Fiery Aura are "offensive sets pretending to be defensive sets"; etc.

Edited by AspieAnarchy

1 minute ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Not precisely, but have you ever considered just how many Placates Stalkers can have at their disposal with the help of Pool Powers, Accolade powers, and certain other temporary powers? Pacify from the Presence Pool and Beguile from the Socialite Accolade (and the latter doesn't even cost a power-selection slot!) are only the beginning; someone who really worked at it could pull at least 5 of those suckers in a row.

I only count 2: Placate and Pacify. Didn't know about Beguile. I'm only looking at Primary-Secondary mixes anyway. Anything outside of Primary-Secondary mix is available to all ATs, though APPs are tailored to the specific AT.

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I only count 2: Placate and Pacify. Didn't know about Beguile. I'm only looking at Primary-Secondary mixes anyway. Anything outside of Primary-Secondary mix is available to all ATs, though APPs are tailored to the specific AT.

Yep, well there's those 2, and MORE, including Misdirection from Concealment, and some kind of Smoke Bomb temporary power you can buy!

Incidentally, it always amazes me how many people are still unaware of the Day Job Accolade-powers; they're so easy to get (at least by comparison), and SO useful!

Edited by AspieAnarchy

4 hours ago, Menelruin said:

I just have one question (which may already be answered by how Fire-based attack sets work):  Do the toxic DoTs from multiple attack powers all stack?  Does just the strongest/most recent one take priority?  How does it work?

I would assume (to use your terminology) they all stack, yes.

• Thumbs Up 1